U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I stay or should I go?
Stay in Columbus and try to build a life out here 8 32.00%
Move to Philly, get closer to your family; you'll find a similar neighborhood/group of friends 17 68.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2008, 06:03 PM

548 posts, read 1,775,126 times

Advertisements

So I am a native NYer who has lived in Ohio for the past 12 years (basically, my whole adult life) and now that my wife and I have a little baby, I think it's about time to move closer to my family. The New York metro is way too expensive, so we're currently investigating Philly, which seems at least somewhat do-able from a cost-of-living perspective.

Neither of us have any family in Columbus, so the draw to be closer to home is big. It's really the main reason why we'd move, although the opportunity to be closer to the beach is a big plus to me. However, we have such a good deal going here in Columbus. The cost-of-living is reasonable, we really like our neighborhood, and we have a decent set-up of friends, though not a ton.

So do I give me what I have now in order to get closer to family, and hopefully find the same thing in the Philly area???

I'm not looking for answers here, maybe just some opinions from folks that have done a similar move or are contemplating one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:06 PM

2,266 posts, read 5,416,048 times
You should post in Philly forum. I can think of at least one regular who is from Ohio in Philly so she should have a good viewpoint. There are TONS of NYers moving into Philly metro.
PS I find moving for the sake of being near family after the first grandkid is a regular topic on these forums. I find living near family overrated tho'-it's not as idyllic as I'd imagined.

Last edited by leighland; 05-31-2008 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: ps bit

Old 05-31-2008, 06:21 PM

548 posts, read 1,775,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
You should post in Philly forum. I can think of at least one regular who is from Ohio in Philly so she should have a good viewpoint. There are TONS of NYers moving into Philly metro.
PS I find moving for the sake of being near family after the first grandkid is a regular topic on these forums. I find living near family overrated tho'-it's not as idyllic as I'd imagined.
Thanks for the advice. Yep, I connected with that Ohioan in Philly in that forum already. I posted here because I wanted a cross-section of people's opinions on the topic of moving motivations.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
You seem happy in OH, so staying might be the better option. Moving would be like a coin toss...you may be happy, but you're equally likely to hate it. It's up to you whether you want to take a risk or not. Risks sometimes do turn out well, but by staying you already have happiness where you are.

I also second the comment that living near family can sometimes be more of an annoyance than a benefit...especially if your family members have the tendency to be overbearing.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:46 PM

5,619 posts, read 13,299,372 times
Columbus might be more reasonably priced, but Philly is definitely a bargain when it comes to COL in a huge city. You say you have a network of friends, but not that many. If it was a large network of friends, I would say stay in Columbus, but if it's a small one, you can get that and live close to family at the same. And, personally, I like Philly more. My family is really close though and I really value that. My aunt and uncle live two blocks from me near LAX, my cousin lives in Brentwood, an extremely good family friend lives in Sherman Oaks in the San Fernando Valley, another in Santa Monica, and my grandparents live in both Las Vegas and Lancaster. You most likely don't know these areas, but what I'm trying to say is that I really like knowing that if something special happens, family and very good friends are only minutes away to share special moments with you. For you, if you move to Philly, you family members may be able to experience your child's first words or steps or your parents may be able to baby-sit while you go out. It's nice to close relatives there to fall back on and having someone you know that you can always count on.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:23 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,190,289 times
Depends on how adventurous you want to be. Sounds like you enjoy Columbus very much. The $64,000 question is do you want to be daring or do you want to be content? You can always try renting in the Philly area with the option of returning to Columbus if it isnt your cup of tea. If you did move to the Philly area obviously you are moving into a much bigger market which has its positives and negatives.

South Jersey sounds like it would be a great fit for you as its a quick trip up the turnpike to NY and S.J. has about the same population as metro Columbus. You'd be surprised how much house you can get in some of the exurbs in South Jersey like Swedesboro,Mullica Hill,Beckett which are 45 minutes from Center City Philly and about an hour from some great beaches in Cape May County.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City