Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Consider As America's Most Unique City?
Boston 9 2.43%
New York City 49 13.24%
Washington, D.C. 28 7.57%
Philadelphia 13 3.51%
Chicago 13 3.51%
St. Louis 6 1.62%
Miami 15 4.05%
New Orleans 126 34.05%
San Francisco 55 14.86%
Los Angeles 11 2.97%
Seattle 11 2.97%
Other (please specify) 34 9.19%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,068,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
its cool.

anyway, not only did we invent rap but we reinvented it. the kids from staten:

YouTube - Wu Tang Clan "C.R.E.A.M."

had the whole country on some 5%er ish. na'mean God? word to the old earth, son.
mad ppl everywhere had to have wallaby's, wuwear, etc. and don't tell me wu tang forever in 97 didn't sell out in a lot of places and triumph didn't stay on the radio...

more rap:

YouTube - Goodz and Charlie Clips Freestyle

yeah i know your mans rap but we started it. thats our ish.

now we're going to get into various cultures here. yeah i know your neighborhood has an indian family that just moved from calcutta or whatever but its not what we have here:

YouTube - 7 Train to Jackson Heights, New York City

to be continued..
Every city has its own slang. That's not unique. The only reason the slang there spread is because of the media.

NYC started Hip Hop but what about other cities that started other music? Chicago started House. Other cities started other music.

I don't think your getting the point other posters are making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
i do gt it.
we started that ish tho and thas what makes us unique. like i said earlier, THE PPL IN NY MAKE NY. it doesn't matter if there are 8 million, 9 million, whatever. its not just that we are a larger city and that there are more of us.

the ppl from various cultures living on top of one another here make us US. it has always been like that. it has always been what makes us who we are.

our HEAVILY BORROWED slang? that comes from the various ppl here from various backgrounds. the fashion? that comes from all of us bouncing ideas off of each other.

i don't think that ppl understand or rather ppl downplay what a variety of cultures can do for one city. there is no city in this country with as many cultures represented as ny. period.

do ppl not think that it does something to our daily life here?

ny slang is definitely unique, tho. between ny and the bay area, we have had the country on lock for a long, long time when it comes to slang to the point where ppl in various areas don't even realize the orgin of some of the words they are using and can say something ridiculous like our slang isn't unique.

it doesn't matter why slang spread it just matters that is spread. and where are a lot of the media based anyway? la and ny. the two largest media markets in the country and two of the largest in the world. i guess that doesnt matter for our daily lives, either, tho.

and my posts aren't going to be talking about what other cities started. if you want to talk about chicago then do so. i'm talking about ny.

lets flip this for a sec.
with you guys arguments, AMERICA as a nation would not be unique because "every place has _________." and america "resembles" every other country. the cities in america would not be unique. the ppl of america would not be unique because oh well ______ country has _______ group of ppl and all america has is a bunch of everything from everywhere else. thats not unique. wow. who cares.

is that what you're really trying to say?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,068,215 times
Quote:
i do gt it.
we started that ish tho and thas what makes us unique. like i said earlier, THE PPL IN NY MAKE NY. it doesn't matter if there are 8 million, 9 million, whatever. its not just that we are a larger city and that there are more of us.

the ppl from various cultures living on top of one another here make us US. it has always been like that. it has always been what makes us who we are.

our HEAVILY BORROWED slang? that comes from the various ppl here from various backgrounds. the fashion? that comes from all of us bouncing ideas off of each other.

i don't think that ppl understand or rather ppl downplay what a variety of cultures can do for one city. there is no city in this country with as many cultures represented as ny. period.

do ppl not think that it does something to our daily life here?

ny slang is definitely unique, tho. between ny and the bay area, we have had the country on lock for a long, long time when it comes to slang to the point where ppl in various areas don't even realize the orgin of some of the words they are using and can say something ridiculous like our slang isn't unique.

it doesn't matter why slang spread it just matters that is spread. and where are a lot of the media based anyway? la and ny. the two largest media markets in the country and two of the largest in the world. i guess that doesnt matter for our daily lives, either, tho.

and my posts aren't going to be talking about what other cities started. if you want to talk about chicago then do so. i'm talking about ny.

lets flip this for a sec.
with you guys arguments, AMERICA as a nation would not be unique because "every place has _________." and america "resembles" every other country. the cities in america would not be unique. the ppl of america would not be unique because oh well ______ country has _______ group of ppl and all america has is a bunch of everything from everywhere else. thats not unique. wow. who cares.

is that what you're really trying to say?
I know what your saying. The people in NYC are unique. I get it. But aren't the people from Seattle Washington? Los Angeles California? The media is there. They set a ton of trends. They're a fashion mecca too. The Bay Area has tons of cultural influences too.

The people in Appalachia are different than EVERYBODY else in the country. Texas has its own subculture.

People live on top of each other in parts of SF, Chicago, Philly. Lots of different types of people too. Are you saying that because NYC has more its more unique?

And I don't want to talk about Chicago. It's not the most unique. Plus its just a city I live in. I'm not tied to my city. I want to travel and live in several different places throughout my lifetime.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
what other city has a baseball team that has won 27 championships?

a public transportation system that has like 24 or so train lines (i don't feel like counting right now) that run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, multiple bus systems to carry you around the metro area, a railroad system that carries you in and out of the city, run by the city + the outskirts, another rail system to carry you upstate, a tram, a ferry system, etc.?

what other city in this country has 8+ million ppl, 800k puerto ricans (which are more puerto ricans than san juan), 650k dominicans (more dominicans than santo domingo), a billionaire mayor who is the 8th richest person in the country?

what other city has wall st?

what other city has broadway? broadway's noteriety?

what other city in the country has a financial district with as much wealth as nyc's?

what other city has the statue of liberty?? what other city means as much to foreigners through history with things like ellis island and the statue of liberty?

what other cities consist of boroughs formed to make one city?

what other city is the financial capital of the world, in this country?

what other city has two chinatowns, the two largest on the east coast?

what other city has multiple downtowns?

what other city in the u.s. has the UN headquarters?

what other city in the country has as many skyscrapers as nyc?

did you know that central park is the most visited park in the u.s.? did you know that ny topped and set a record for the amount of tourists that visited us this past year? what other city in this country can claim that?

what other city this size has as large of a wildlife refuge as we do?

where is the largest metropolitan zoo in the u.s. located?

who else can claim abstract expressionism, the creation of salsa (music), disco, hip hop, etc.???

what other city is as known for the ball dropping? their thanksgiving and christmas day parades?

where else is home for as many print media businesses as nyc?

what other city has eastern european, western european, chinese and caribbean culture all in one city like nyc?

what other city can you see an abundance of hasidic jews next to shiite muslim women next to guyanese indians next to black dominicans next to white jamaicans next to ppl from switzerland, etc. etc.??

what other fashion capital of the world exists in the u.s.??

what other city on the planet hosts the US open?

what other city has the amount of foreign businesses that we have?

"well ppl in n.o. speak a form of creole not found anywhere else"

well:

Quote:
The Irish also have a notable presence; one in 50 New Yorkers of European origin carry a distinctive genetic signature on their Y chromosomes inherited from the clan of Niall of the Nine Hostages, an Irish high king of the fifth century A.D.
did you know that??

are these things not unique enough? other cities have businesses and other cities have ppl from foreign countries too, huh? lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I know what your saying. The people in NYC are unique. I get it. But aren't the people from Seattle Washington? Los Angeles California? The media is there. They set a ton of trends. They're a fashion mecca too. The Bay Area has tons of cultural influences too.

The people in Appalachia are different than EVERYBODY else in the country. Texas has its own subculture.

People live on top of each other in parts of SF, Chicago, Philly. Lots of different types of people too. Are you saying that because NYC has more its more unique?

And I don't want to talk about Chicago. It's not the most unique. Plus its just a city I live in. I'm not tied to my city. I want to travel and live in several different places throughout my lifetime.
then let those ppl from those particular cities talk about their particular cities instead of downplaying ny.

thats pretty much all i'm saying. i'm making my argument. rather than take down my argument because you don't like ny (this isn't aimed at you in particular, by the way) ppl should form their own arguments for their own respective cities.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,042,260 times
^^^^^
You are hopeless.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
^^^^^
You are hopeless.
I think some people do not know the definition of unique.
The only city I saw on the list that I think is really unique is N.O.
That being said there are many smaller cities that are truly unique.
I don't understand why some think by saying X city has the largest this or that, has this monument or this neighborhood makes it a unique city when numerous other cities may have the same type things only slightly smaller or have their own monument that other cities don't.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:37 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,826,789 times
Quote:

a public transportation system that has like 24 or so train lines (i don't feel like counting right now) that run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, multiple bus systems to carry you around the metro area, a railroad system that carries you in and out of the city, run by the city + the outskirts, another rail system to carry you upstate, a tram, a ferry system, etc.?

what other city in this country has 8+ million ppl, 800k puerto ricans (which are more puerto ricans than san juan), 650k dominicans (more dominicans than santo domingo), a billionaire mayor who is the 8th richest person in the country?

what other city in the country has a financial district with as much wealth as nyc's?

what other city has the statue of liberty?? what other city means as much to foreigners through history with things like ellis island and the statue of liberty?

did you know that central park is the most visited park in the u.s.? did you know that ny topped and set a record for the amount of tourists that visited us this past year? what other city in this country can claim that?

who else can claim abstract expressionism, the creation of salsa (music), disco, hip hop, etc.???

what other city is as known for the ball dropping? their thanksgiving and christmas day parades?

what other city has eastern european, western european, chinese and caribbean culture all in one city like nyc?

what other city can you see an abundance of hasidic jews next to shiite muslim women next to guyanese indians next to black dominicans next to white jamaicans next to ppl from switzerland, etc. etc.??

well:

did you know that??

are these things not unique enough? other cities have businesses and other cities have ppl from foreign countries too, huh? lol.

then let those ppl from those particular cities talk about their particular cities instead of downplaying ny.

thats pretty much all i'm saying. i'm making my argument. rather than take down my argument because you don't like ny (this isn't aimed at you in particular, by the way) ppl should form their own arguments for their own respective cities.

None of this makes NYC unique...

Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,826,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
^^^^^
You are hopeless.
I agree.. They need to just let N.O have this one because it is the most Unique City

Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,947,025 times
I'd say New Orleans, New York, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Miami, and Detroit are the most unique cities in the US.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:36 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,657,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
None of this makes NYC unique...
Quote:

well:

did you know that??

People will never acknowledge that NYC is the most unique city. Deep down they know that NYC is the most unique city. When an American goes to another country, if you would say that you are from New Orleans people will not know where is that. However if you say that you are from New York. They will be surprised, because in fact NYC is the most unique city.

I will not further argue anymore. I will rest my case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City