Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City or Los Angeles?
New York City 143 61.11%
Los Angeles 91 38.89%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
If it is a "historical fact" quote the source...
The Jewish migration is the best case in point which I earlier referenced. LA has the second largest Jewish population in the U.S. after NYC. Jews from NY migrated to LA in droves after WWI and II and have continued to do so since. This is well documented and there are a lot of sources if you are truly interested in the subject.

Here is one article on the topic.

https://www.policyarchive.org/bitstr...pdf?sequence=1

Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,289,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
The Jewish migration is the best case in point which I earlier referenced. LA has the second largest Jewish population in the U.S. after NYC. Jews from NY migrated to LA in droves after WWI and II and have continued to do so since. This is well documented and there are a lot of sources if you are truly interested in the subject.

OK. So that's Jews. Any references to other migration from New York to LA?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
OK. So that's Jews. Any references to other migration from New York to LA?
I am not a reference librarian. Do your own research!

The out migration of whites (who happen to be largely Jewish) from NY to LA is substantial as pointed out in the source I provided to you. If you want more detail about the out migration patterns of New Yorkers of other races and ethnicities look it up for yourself.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Not enough to offset the tons who have left NY for LA over the years. This is a historical fact. Much of LA's Jewish population, for example, hails from NY. The reverse is not true.
You have no Idea. I run into Cali transplants on a daily sometimes. Did you happen to catch the laker game at the garden a couple of weeks ago. Did you notice all those Laker fans at the Garden? Believe me very few of them are NY natives!There is way more cali transplants here. I have lived in both places and Cali has transplants from all over but to a much less degree than NY.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Yes perhaps but if you take a weekend here in NY and go anywhere like lets say the aquarium. You will see Jews ,hispanics ,Italians, Jamaicans,etc...and every one else in huge groups. Its not like california that is dominated by a couple of races and the rest like the jewish community are a small community.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Quote:
Seniors? Not. New Yorkers, young and old, still come. And I really don't think there has been a large migration of people from the "West" as you state to the New York region. In recent years, North Carolina, yes, New York state or city, no!
yet, the city's population continues to grow.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 AM

48 posts, read 103,310 times
^^ How do any of these posts above about migration related to the thread New York vs. L.A. ?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
You have no Idea. I run into Cali transplants on a daily sometimes. Did you happen to catch the laker game at the garden a couple of weeks ago. Did you notice all those Laker fans at the Garden? Believe me very few of them are NY natives!There is way more cali transplants here. I have lived in both places and Cali has transplants from all over but to a much less degree than NY.
So. I run into NY transplants everyday in LA. I work with many of them. Besides I don't care about personal anecdotal evidence. I am talking about factual information that can be supported by hard data, like from the Census. And there is no evidence of there being a huge migration of Angelenos to NYC ever and certainly not on the scale of New Yorkers to LA since the 40s and 50s.

And as far as Lakers fans go. We're everywhere. In nearly all arenas across the country where the Lakers are the visiting team there is usually a strong Laker nation contingent there to root for them.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
yet, the city's population continues to grow.
Yes. As does LA's, because they are both gateway cities for new immigrants, legal and illegal.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
So. I run into NY transplants everyday in LA. I work with many of them. Besides I don't care about personal anecdotal evidence. I am talking about factual information that can be supported by hard data, like from the Census. And there is no evidence of there being a huge migration of Angelenos to NYC ever and certainly not on the scale of New Yorkers to LA since the 40s and 50s. .
That kind of evidence is impossible to come by. Your link about post war migration west has nothing to do with current trends. Fact is their is not that kind of evidence either way.

Quote:
And as far as Lakers fans go. We're everywhere. In nearly all arenas across the country where the Lakers are the visiting team there is usually a strong Laker nation contingent there to root for them.
You miss my point about the Garden, but thats ok and yes we are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City