U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,160 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to one of these cities and I would like to know the pros and cons of them.
I am interested in a place with moderate weather during the winter, outdoor activities, cultural things to do, nice scenery and a place to rise a family for a gay couple.

I think San Diego would be the perfect place, however I will be able to afford something better in Austin or Phoenix and they are also great places.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:28 AM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
SAN DIEGO:
Pros: Beaches, mild climate, lots of attractions and things to do, pro sports teams, great scenery, people are mostly mellow and happy.
Cons: Expensive!

AUSTIN:
Pros: Vibrant atmosphere, good job market, affordable housing.
Cons: Very humid in the summer.

SCOTTSDALE:
Pros: Lots of upscale neighborhoods, good golf venues, pretty mountain scenery, dry climate.
Cons: The Phoenix metro isn't quite as exciting as the other two. And it gets scorching hot in the summer (it's not humid like Austin, but it's a lot hotter).

Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 AM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
Oh, and if I were you, I would personally choose Austin.

San Diego, although the prices are coming down, is still very expensive. Otherwise, it would have been an excellent choice. And I'd typically prefer a dry climate to a humid climate, but I'm afraid that Scottsdale may not be gay-friendly enough (Austin is more liberal).

Old 06-16-2008, 05:58 AM

1,572 posts, read 5,507,193 times
All of your choices appear to be good ones and it seems you already have a sense of them. San Diego has everything you are looking for, with the bonus that it lacks the frequently brutal summers of both Austin and Phoenix, but it will easily cost you three times as much money to buy a house in SD compared to an equivalent house in Austin or Phoenix. If money is not an issue, go with SD. If buying a reasonably priced home IS an issue, go with Austin or Phoenix.

When choosing between Austin or Phoenix, a big part of the choice boils (no pun) down to climate. Phoenix is a dry desert climate, while Austin is a green humid (in summer) climate. Both have a pretty good economy, but the housing market is taking a much harder hit in Phoenix right now. Between the two, I would choose Austin -- it is a much more funky, eclectic town, which I like.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 AM

23 posts, read 137,602 times
How do these cities compare with public transportation? (I have also been considering a move but will be surrendering my car)

Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichita13 View Post
How do these cities compare with public transportation? (I have also been considering a move but will be surrendering my car)
All 3 suck in the PT department, look elsewhere if you want to get rid of your car.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:45 PM

1,572 posts, read 5,507,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichita13 View Post
I agree with the poster that none of these cities are known for having good public transit, but of the three I think San Diego is definitely the best. Beyond buses, which every city has, there is a trolley line and a light rail (The Coaster). The rail and trolley have limited access points, but at least they exist. Also, San Diego has some decent walkable neighborhoods downtown, like Little Italy and near Petco Park.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 PM

22 posts, read 70,823 times
almost everyone in san diego is gay or wants to be.
it's hellishly expensive even with all the foreclosures, and across the border it's equally as expensive with higher risk
State, local, federal, water, gas, ****, and breathing tax.
oh people are very lanquine, illiterate, alot of republican retirees.
little work for educated people, if you want to work in a restaurant or hotel, or have 8 jobs to pay your mortgage. it's great!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:04 PM

938 posts, read 3,054,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphila View Post
I am considering moving to one of these cities and I would like to know the pros and cons of them.
I am interested in a place with moderate weather during the winter, outdoor activities, cultural things to do, nice scenery and a place to rise a family for a gay couple.

I think San Diego would be the perfect place, however I will be able to afford something better in Austin or Phoenix and they are also great places.

Thanks
Winters in Austin are very nice. Not as mild as Scottsdale or San Diego I'm sure, but it only may get below freezing once or twice. Lots of sunny 70 degree days and not that many nasty ones. Summers are hot an humid but not unbearable (this is my first summer here and I've still been able to go on a 4 mile run every evening).

As far as outdoor activities, Town Lake in downtown Austin has a running trail, places to rent canoes and kayaks, and a large amount of park area. Barton Springs is a great swimming hole also near downtown. Out in the Hill Country just west of town there is hiking and mountain biking. Scenery in general is nice, but not really spectacular.

Lots of museums, great food, good nightlife, and cultural activites. Cost of living isn't bad but is on the rise, with all the development going in Austin will not have the same feel a decade from now, but right now its a very livable, hip, laid-back, socially-progressive, and nice midsize city. You'd get a lot more bang for your buck here than in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or