Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better? In your opinion?
San Diego 83 56.46%
Chicago 64 43.54%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,887,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKick View Post
Oh I think I misunderstood then. I thought when he said that there "actually" was culture in San Diego, that it was in contrast to Chicago not having it. But it I think you may be correct that it was meant to say culture does in fact exist in San Diego. I apologize.
Yeah. I wasn't trying to diss either city. I was just pointing out that San Diego isn't cultureless, like some others have implied. There are lots of festivals, international marketplaces, and some cool navy parades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:49 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,624,848 times
You can't compare Chicago to San Diego. SD is a small, quiet "town", whereas Chicago is a city. San Diego was never meant to be a city; it was built on suburbs and commuters, not immigrants (with some obvious exceptions, but my point is that SD bloomed only recently) and massive population swings.

I love San Diego. It is, to me, a small, quiet place of peace and relaxation. It doesn't have an urban core, although it does have a quaint downtown section. It's easy to traverse, and for California there's remarkably little pretension. In fact I'd say that San Diego to me, someone born and raised in the midwest, in many ways looks exactly like California should look. Streetscapes that are unreal, with simple luxuries of nature I've never known in the rocky, flat and dull midwest. Sunshine all year round, fog that rolls down gold and green mountainsides, and a sense that life can be good and happy and peaceful. Vibes I in no way ever got from living in the midwest, where each day was a chore one tried to fight through.

Does Chicago have more culture? Absolutely, without question. Art in all forms thrives there. Does it have a better nightlife? God yes. Yet I would point out how San Diego and Chicago have more in common than they do to distinguish them: both are unfairly overshadowed, both are relatively unknown, and both face second city status.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:36 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,254,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Chicago rules!!

I love my four seasons.
I do to and don't really want to give it up.

I also like having trees all over, or in a lot of places.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:44 PM

990 posts, read 3,174,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I do to and don't really want to give it up.

I also like having trees all over, or in a lot of places.
Agreed

Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,775,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
You can't compare Chicago to San Diego. SD is a small, quiet "town", whereas Chicago is a city. San Diego was never meant to be a city; it was built on suburbs and commuters, not immigrants (with some obvious exceptions, but my point is that SD bloomed only recently) and massive population swings.

I love San Diego. It is, to me, a small, quiet place of peace and relaxation. It doesn't have an urban core, although it does have a quaint downtown section. It's easy to traverse, and for California there's remarkably little pretension. In fact I'd say that San Diego to me, someone born and raised in the midwest, in many ways looks exactly like California should look. Streetscapes that are unreal, with simple luxuries of nature I've never known in the rocky, flat and dull midwest. Sunshine all year round, fog that rolls down gold and green mountainsides, and a sense that life can be good and happy and peaceful. Vibes I in no way ever got from living in the midwest, where each day was a chore one tried to fight through.

Does Chicago have more culture? Absolutely, without question. Art in all forms thrives there. Does it have a better nightlife? God yes. Yet I would point out how San Diego and Chicago have more in common than they do to distinguish them: both are unfairly overshadowed, both are relatively unknown, and both face second city status.
Very good statement.

Chicago is better in culture and offerings, but saying that is not an insult to San Diego, which is a fine town in and of itself.

Why compare the two when they are so different? Just take both for what they're worth.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:55 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,563,156 times
San Diego is quite a bit older than Chicago having been founded on July 16, 1769. Chicago came along 60 yrs later in 1830.

Many people don't realize how old many cities are in California [at the same time as the Revolutionary War]. Its just that the cities in California didn't really get developed until the 1900's [except San Francisco].

Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times
I have been thru the midwest on my way to Chicago and I didn't find anything exciting. Thank god for Chicago because the rest of the midwest is boring as hell.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,624,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have been thru the midwest on my way to Chicago and I didn't find anything exciting. Thank god for Chicago because the rest of the midwest is boring as hell.
Honey, if your name holds true you come from DC. That is one of the single most small, quiet and boring towns in the nation. I'm going to call bull**** on your charge against the midwest, because you in no way come from a competitive region.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Although that's not the nicest statement in the world, I can somewhat understand where you're coming from. Even in the major cities - the midwest is still the midwest. I grew up in the area. It's a very casual place...people typically don't like to dress up, and popular culture is often hanging around in someone's basement getting drunk on cheap beer.

Even though major cities like Chicago do offer cosmopolitan culture, the midwestern vibe is definitely still there, which could be a turn off to some people.
Sure, if you live in Cowtown, WI with a population of 200, I might agree with you there. However, Id take small town midwestern living over small dust town CA living anyday. Small midwestern towns are generally ultra-safe, very clean, very historic, where family values are the first priority. Id take that over some tiny towns you find out in the backwoods of California, Mississippi, Missouri, etc, etc.

Here are the "casual" far western Chicago burbs.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...6k-beware.html

Look at those and then tell me that our popular culture is to hang out and get drunk in someone's basement.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,887,089 times
I did live in the region for 15 years, you know. Both Milwaukee and Chicago. And for many young adults (and honestly, even older adults), that is the culture. Pretty buildings don't change that. And the presence of "high culture" doesn't mean that utilizing it is an everyday occurance.

I never said the midwestern culture was a bad thing, though. Just that it's not for everyone. Someone coming from another region could be rubbed the wrong way by it.

That wasn't meant to be a "diss" or whatever. Just an observation.

Admit it - even people living in the most cosmopolitan cities live normal, boring lives for the most part. I mean, come on...what are you doing right now? You're not at a museum, you're on city-data! When I lived in the metro, I didn't go out to nightclubs every night and festivals every day - I just hung out and did normal, boring stuff like everyone else in the country. The "fancy" stuff was a once-and-awhile treat. That's how it is for most residents.

Last edited by radraja; 06-17-2008 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City