Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Lower middle class are pretty much the same except for the fact that they tend to fund and support themsleves. While below that most are dependent on government funding. They all tend to live in a mixed area of owned housing;section 8 ;section 8 apartments and governamnt projects.Once you get to middle class you tend to see people living in areas that the lower middle class can not afford ;which is shown by so many in deep problems when trying to move there causing the housing crisis.Then there is rural america that is a quite different thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
New Hampshire. I lived there in my youth and there were very few trashy families. People that were poor still seemed very educated and witty. Even the janitors up there were very sharp.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
New Hampshire. I lived there in my youth and there were very few trashy families. People that were poor still seemed very educated and witty. Even the janitors up there were very sharp.
Agreed. The first state I thought of when I read the original post was Maine. Next, it occurred to me that the same way of life is found in the small towns, outside of major urban areas, in much of the upper Northeast (New England, upstate NY). Then I realized that the same seems to be true of small towns in the upper Midwest. The above suggestions of West Virginia and Missouri seem to fit the mold as well.

What do these areas have in common? One possibility is that the lack of fabulous wealth may lend itself to a certain neighborliness. Serious poverty might incline people toward a desperate selfishness, as they grab for whatever they can get, but a basic level of prosperity, without widespread affluence, may lend itself to a sense of community. When people don't have the attitude that they can solve all their own problems by throwing money at them, they know they have to rely on each other. Another factor common to all these areas is a stable population. There's likely to be a sense of community, with neighbors looking out for each other, when a good portion of the population has a history in the area, as opposed to the transient nature of the population in some fast-growing Sun Belt areas, which lends itself to rootlessness and crime.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:04 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Utah - that's I've been to.

Assuming.....North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin....the rural Midwest.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Where I live just outside of DC, the richer people are the ones most likely to be openly rude and unpleasant and behave in the most shameless manners.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:04 PM

99 posts, read 231,723 times
My opinion is as worthless and as worthy as anyone else's

"There's class warfare, all right, Mr. (Warren) Buffett said, but it's my class, the rich class, that's making war, and we're winning."

I am convinced the USA is in the throes of a class war imposed upon We, the People by a relatively few extremely wealthy, powerful people with a multitude of "middle class" lackeys, minions, etc.

A growing number of USA citizens are being forced down the socio-economic pyramid. That does have an effect on peoples' attitudes and behaviors.

My decades of real-life experience as a working-poor citizen immersed within a horde of illegal aliens who adversely affected social and economic conditions appeared to assist the growth of general "trashiness," especially as wages dropped while rental costs rose to meet the ever-growing demand for housing that should never have occurred.

Some of the highest LEGAL immigration levels in USA history from the past several decades, much of which is from 3rd-world countries AND a lack of assimilation has created a "diversity" that has harmed the general USA culture.

Where is the promulgation of the "ties that bind" that at least semi-unite a people? Those ties are not promulgated!!!!!

Divide and conquer!!! An ancient tactic of war.... and there IS a class war underway.

And the immigration levels, legal AND illegal, along with the traditional very high birth-rate of immigrants, has propelled the USA population upwards to a number approaching 1/3rd BILLION and will likely eventually reach ONE BILLION and it could occur before the year 2100.

In 1972 the USA had attained ZPG, Zero Population Growth. Look at countries that are extremely crowded with a lack of resources. That is what the USA is becoming. Over-crowded countries/societies have MANY problems with one being the devaluation of the individual.

That devaluation of the individual is evident to me within the USA, especially when history is viewed. USA society used to be more caring in many, but not all ways, of individuals. Sure, thee are always exceptions and ALL societies and cultures have a criminal element, a percentage of "bad folks," but there are many indicators that life in the modern USA is becoming increasing less civil with a devaluing of the individual.

One thing I did to improve my life was to depart California and the MANY negative experiences I was forced to confront from the HUGE number of invaders from the south. Intense hostility from people who despised Anglos and/or USA citizens.

I tired of the violence; from being shot at to gangs assaulting me for being a despised Gringo... all the while wages dropped, rents rose and competition for social services kept increasing.

Departing California I re-entered the USA.

Yes.... I truly fear for the USA's future.

A house divided can not stand, we were warned and I believe a divide-and-conquer tactic is being used by those desiring an oligarchy within the USA with a class war initiated several decades ago to attain the devious ends desired by a small minority of USA citizens.

Warren Buffet believes that a class war exists to the point he went on record proclaiming its existence.

Interestingly, the mass media typically latches onto every Buffet utterance but that particular one received very little media coverage.

I wonder why?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 PM

7 posts, read 7,350 times
The crime is more linked to big cities than with poverty IMO

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
You can't just equate poverty to class. There are plenty of well-off people in New Orleans who are some of the most ignorant, uneducated, and trashiest scum on this earth. There are also many poor people who are educated, well mannered, and hard workers. That applies to Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians, etc. in Southeast Louisiana.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
White collar criminals that take savings from retired old people are far worse.
Stock market fat cats that recently raped $ociety are no better than the petty thief stealing to feed a crack habit.
Heck, they're worse.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:22 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Utah. Very little white trash there.
No, just a lot of biggotry and homophobia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City