Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Dallas has the slowest pace of any major city I ever visited.

Denver and parts of San Diego are probably the most laid back
Slow paced and laid back are 2 completely different things in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,561 times
Denver, and CO in general is about as laid back as it gets. Very few people that I know (working professionals from other places) have traditional 8-5 jobs or get dressed up to go to work, and even if they do, employers are generally very flexible with work arrangements and respectful of time off requests. The state is a major vacation destination, but unlike some other very touristy states, it has a high proportion of educated people and forward-thinking industries. Tons of roof racks on cars and equipment in apartment hallways, as it is expected that a person would take advantage of the recreational opportunities to the west. Very little religious overtones and a tolerant, communal attitude. Overall, people seem much more interested in your hobbies than your work, and it is expected that you're going to take some time to pursue them. Much more of a "live and let live" attitude than anywhere else I've spent time, especially compared to the east coast.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Slow paced and laid back are 2 completely different things in my opinion.
yes they are, and that's why my post separated the two.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Denver, and CO in general is about as laid back as it gets. Very few people that I know (working professionals from other places) have traditional 8-5 jobs or get dressed up to go to work, and even if they do, employers are generally very flexible with work arrangements and respectful of time off requests. The state is a major vacation destination, but unlike some other very touristy states, it has a high proportion of educated people and forward-thinking industries. Tons of roof racks on cars and equipment in apartment hallways, as it is expected that a person would take advantage of the recreational opportunities to the west. Very little religious overtones and a tolerant, communal attitude. Overall, people seem much more interested in your hobbies than your work, and it is expected that you're going to take some time to pursue them. Much more of a "live and let live" attitude than anywhere else I've spent time, especially compared to the east coast.
Pretty spot on IMO

Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 PM

9 posts, read 16,101 times
south cities are rather laid back?

Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 AM

309 posts, read 759,565 times
I'm not sure how we are supposed to define "major city". However, the only place off the top of my head would be Honolulu, Hawaii.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 AM

376 posts, read 598,570 times
Major city with lowest COL = most laid back

Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 AM

502 posts, read 717,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
Which US major cities or surrounding areas of major cities are the most laid back overall? Not too fast paced, not too uptight but more friendly and more easy going?

I guess every big city has at least some of that going on but overall which ones would you consider to be the most laid back?
San Diego and Tampa are the most chilled out cities I have seen in America, although I have to hold my breath while calling Tampa a "city" since it's really more like a big overgrown office park.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
Atlanta is in the south, and it's DEFINITELY not laid back. It's not as fast paced as a DC or a NYC, but let's make no mistakes, it's hardly laid back. Way too much sprawl, way too much traffic, very old school and conservatives coporate culture, very materialistic people, and a ton of back stabbing goes on in offices in Atlanta.

I was surprise to come out West and notice how different things are out this way. The work environments are WAY more laid back. And the in the Bay Area, employers and the cities acknowledge the traffic problem. They make tons of accommodations for people commuting to work.

Unlike Atlanta where everyone is expected to drive everywhere, deal with horrific traffic, and most companies are out of touch with this fact, and if they do know it, they don't care. Many companies don't offer a car pool or any sort in Atlanta. Offices environments in Atlanta are robotic, dead, and full of no life.

MAYBE the out of work environment in Atlanta is more laid back than NYC. But good luck making friends who will take your seriously without a big house, and a luxury sports car. I think in NYC, you're less judged by your material possessions than you are in Atlanta. I guess LA may be similar, but never been to LA before.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:22 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Major city with lowest COL = most laid back

Wrong. I'm sure Atlanta and Dallas would like to have a word with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City