U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 AM

430 posts, read 1,199,798 times

Advertisements

I worked in Chicago for two years. Do not miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 AM

5,481 posts, read 10,177,560 times
Eddie 88,
What hobbies sports do you like? Important to factor in. Chicago you can do winter sports (skiing, snowmobiling etc). Chicago is a top 5 city, according to Bicycling Magazine, for cycling. Dallas is rated one of the 3 worst. Doesn't mean you can't cycle in Dallas, just means not as many trails and not as many city bike lanes. I live in Chi-area and have researched move to Dallas or Houston. Overall, Dallas did not seem as green/lush as KC. I have visited KC several times. Now Dallas does have a lot going for it. Low cost of living, milder winters and many other attributes.
So really this is an opportunity to review your lifestyle and what make s you happy b4 making the decision. Every place has it's +'s/-'s. Be careful to understand how these work with what makes you tick.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,984,672 times
I think Houston is actually a little more similar to Chicago than Dallas is.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:28 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,069,539 times
Oh, does Chicago have refineries, too?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,303 times
All the most important metros in America have refineries nearby. NY, LA, Chi, SF, and Houston all have them. I think it is one of the necessary evils of being a coastal city, which is something that Dallas will never have to deal with.

I think Houston is a little more like Chicago than Dallas is because in Houston there seems to be more ethnic diversity and a wider variety of culture. Plus, Chicago and Houston offer a more genuine urban experience and their skylines rock compared to Dallas, at least in size.

It all depends on your mood, but I would choose Chicago over Dallas or Houston, if you want to see what life in the big city is all about. Dallas is a lot more like Kansas City, than Chicago. Dallas is a second tier city. Chicago is a first tier city. If you are looking for a change, you better choose Chicago. But don't forget your mittens!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:16 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,069,539 times
Well if you are going to be out in Hinsdale or Naperville...

Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 PM

4,133 posts, read 13,271,512 times
I think the camera setting is on sepia tone.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,803,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
I used to live in Milwaukee and commute to Chicago for work. I hated it. People are rude, the food isn't all that great, and I never went to anything worth all the other crap (or that couldn't be experienced elsewhere).

A lot of people like it there, though, so we obviously just have different tastes. I think you really need to just visit both.
I lived in Chicago and thought it was very overrated. Lousy weather (summers can be brutal too), pretty much what everyone has said. I am sure you will hear opinions on both sides of the fence. Cook County just raised the sales tax to 10.25%

Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 AM

493 posts, read 1,623,294 times
Currently living in Chicago burbs and about to move to Dallas burbs. Chicago is a fantastic city, lots to do, the lake is great, Grant Park is lovely, Milennium Park has lots to do, transport is wonderful, views from Hancock Tower are amazing......I could go on.

However I am wearing rose tinted glasses at the moment because it is summer. The winter is bad, really bad and I use to live in Minneapolis! Minneapolis has skyways to get you from building to building in the winter. Chicago doesn't so for me the city is out of bounds during the winter as I really really dislike the cold weather. Cook County (which Chicago is in) has a ridiculous sales tax of 10.25%.

We have lived in Dallas before and the weather is so much better. Yes, it gets hot in the summer but you can sit in the shade, in the winter in Chicago it can be dangerous to go outside in the cold if you aren't properly prepared. I just find it easier to live in Dallas, I find the people friendly but there again the people in Chicago are friendly too but you have to remember that they are mid-westerners who tend to not be as out-going. What amazes me is that how many people from Illinois tend to stay in Illinois, the same is said for the mid-west in general. People grow up there, work there and have their family surrounding them. This is great for them but difficult trying to break into that to make new friendships.

But both cities are completely different so it all depends on what you want. Good Luck

Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,611,168 times
Just an FYI on the REAL weather in Dallas:

Went to dinner last night at 5:00pm, the patios were PACKED!!! We had to sit inside due to no outside seating available w/o a long wait (bummer). We strolled around for awhile afterwards and it was just downright pleasant. I also was in the pool yesterday afternoon from about 1:30-3:30. I actually got CHILLBUMPS! The water was great and all (I like my pool water a bit on the warm side and it was). But, as I was floating around I'd splash some water on me and if the breeze kicked up which it was about a steady 9-10mph it gave me goosebumps and the chills. Dallas actually has more breeze than Chicago. Today is supposed to be about 100 but there is a nice breeze and the skies have been clear. When I checked the outside air quality yesterday afternoon it was "good" and pretty darn clear. So don't let some fools tell you differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or