U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:16 AM

493 posts, read 1,623,294 times

Advertisements

Regarding Chicago's weather, the humidity reminds me of Houston although not as hot as Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 AM

5,200 posts, read 11,460,380 times
Here is my take on the weather lately. I've been going out at 6:30 a.m. and working in the yard, painting, mowing, weed eating, and other fun that's associated with "duties." It has been quite pleasant if one is in the shade, but this morning, I was in the shade painting and was sweating to death. When I was in the sun doing other things, it was overwhelming and I had to come in at 10:00 a.m. as I was very uncomfortable. That sun is a killer.

As far as the evenings go, last night I was loading my truck and unloading heavy rocks and moving heavy brick squares, 50# bags of sand, and other back breaking work (back breaking to this old lady anyway). This was between 7:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. It was miserable and I felt like I was about to pass out. The heat dictates what I can and cannot do and at what time of the day. It's maddening sometimes because I love working outside, but I don't particularly want to get a heat stroke.

As far as water and heat go..........I was powerwashing my house a few days ago and was standing in the sun for some of the time. Was I uncomfortable? No, because water along with a breeze made me cooler as it kept spraying back on me. If people are swimming and come out of the water soaking wet, people will get chilly. That's just the way it has always been. That's why my dogs get in their wading pool after a walk so they'll cool off. They're clever little girls.

If sitting in the shade in the evening or the early morning, it's pleasant. The humidity in the evening hasn't been too terribly bad in spite of the high temperatures. 93 degrees at 10 p.m. with a breeze actually feels quite nice. Just leave the worst of the humidity in Houston!

So if you're swimming or sitting in the early or late part of the day, you'll be okay and that's just how it is with a Texas summer.

Regarding the air quality in Dallas....the weathermen said the breeze will keep it okay for today. Yes, Dallas gets poor air quality, but most big cities do, I do believe. It often looks the photo posted, but there isn't much anyone can do about smog.

Nearly noon now and I just came in from sitting in the yard for a little while. It was quite pleasant in the shade, a nice breeze and I checked wunderground. Where I am, it's a tad more comfortable at this hour than in Dallas, but close though.

So the key to the heat......sit and do nothing and until it's really beastly in a few hours, it won't feel so bad.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 07-12-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 PM

2,470 posts, read 4,742,955 times
If you can handle brutal summers and don't like the cold, then you'd want Dallas. I personally can't deal with the summers here which is just one of many reasons i'm leaving for Chicago next month but thats neither here nor there. Dallas is more sprawling, Chicago more urban. momof2 is putting the summers lightly. I work at a restaurant in Addison and our patio was empty until 7pm last night. Which is not surprising seeing how it was in the upper 90's and just too hot to be outside. Its supposed to hit triple digits today. I think as far as comparing the two cities, weather is going to be your deciding factor since one has extreme heat, the other extreme cold. Traffic is bad in both cities and although Dallas has more crime issues, cost of living is higher in Chicago. I would recommend you make trips to both cities and have extended stays before making a choice as they are vastly different.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:56 PM

18,320 posts, read 26,307,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
Regarding Chicago's weather, the humidity reminds me of Houston although not as hot as Houston.
great way of putting it and I completely agree.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:00 PM

BTW, I happen to like Chicago winters. I happen to like the cold. Wear clothes people and you won't feel it. I find the winters in Dallas and Texas in general to be quite boring. But that's just me because I like seasons.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDallasDan View Post
I think I'd rather live in Chicago. It's a real urban experience. In Dallas it feels like a faux urban experience. The small area north of downtown reeks of 'newness' and soulessness. All these instant buildings or "McMidrises" in uptown are rather dull and uninteresting compared to all the cool skyscrapers going up in Chicago these days. And the rail system in Dallas is a bit of a joke.

Dallas is a nice place to raise a family though. The people are friendlier. The traffic jams suck. And the surrounding area is a little plain. Nothing cool to look at like Lake Michigan.
It is new because Dallas is newer than Chicago. It is also younger than Chicago and less established. Pick a city out there now that is starting to urbanized it's city and see if it doesn't resemble newness. I wonder what Europeans would say about Chicago 100 years ago when Chicago was starting to built it's density. THey would probably have the same complaints. Also, Chicago got at least a 80-100 year headstar on their rail system. DART is improving but it will take time.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 PM

415 posts, read 1,533,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
BTW, I happen to like Chicago winters. I happen to like the cold. Wear clothes people and you won't feel it. I find the winters in Dallas and Texas in general to be quite boring. But that's just me because I like seasons.
Not even remotely true. Unless lack of feeling is the reason people are so rude They looked at me like I was insane, wearing a down duster, cap, scarf, mittens, and Uggs, and I was *STILL* cold. I did finally ask if I was doing the whole cold weather dressing wrong and was told, "No, you'll always feel cold, you just don't want to lose body parts."

It really does come down to preference, though. My fiance likes it cold, so he'd rather be north. I like it warmer, so I'd rather be south. The actual city is mostly irrelevant, because you can do just about whatever you want, wherever. If weather and geography are really important, live in places that have what you want. Food and entertainment is what you make of it.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:48 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,355,871 times
Quote:
It is new because Dallas is newer than Chicago. It is also younger than Chicago and less established. Pick a city out there now that is starting to urbanized it's city and see if it doesn't resemble newness. I wonder what Europeans would say about Chicago 100 years ago when Chicago was starting to built it's density. THey would probably have the same complaints. Also, Chicago got at least a 80-100 year headstar on their rail system. DART is improving but it will take time.
Dallas is a 20th century city whereas Chiago is a 19th century town. And that is not much of a span for either city compared to the rest of the world.

Chicago's advantage is its urban concentration which has recently come back into fashion. It appeals to a narrow demographic, however. Dallas' advantage is its suburbanization which most people have chosen... the high growth rate cities have suburban densities, albeit with growth in the center city and in suburban nodes such as Legacy in Dallas for the demographic class who like it.

I wouldn't be ashamed of DART. The Green line extension will get us to Fair Park next year, and to Carrollton and Pleasant Grove the year after that. And the year after Carrollton, we have rail in Las Colinas. Plus the new rail expansion to Denton. Plus the new line from DFW airport to the south side of Fort Worth. That's a lot of rail stations available to a traveler on foot. I would not describe this region as having zero rail transit, as one poster did.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM

434 posts, read 1,306,480 times
Quote:

10 below zero isn't a season. Its hell. Good luck wearing your clothes while you enjoy a nice walk or play outside during a bitter chicago winter

Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 PM

216 posts, read 648,557 times
I have lived in both the Chicago area and Houston. I have taught in both also. I realize Dallas is much different from Houston, but Chicago wins hands down. Professionally, you will make more money and be much more stable in your career in the Chicago area. The unions are strong and respected. I remember in Houston, I was pretty much told by my Principal to avoid the union or I would probably not be hired back. The winters can be cold and snowy, but your body gets used to it. I have always found you can layer on clothes to get warmer when you go out in the winter, but in Houston you could only take so much off to get cooler. You seem confident about your ability to find a teaching job. It will be more competitive in the Chicago area, especially for the best paying districts, so do your homework!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or