U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:07 PM

41 posts, read 34,312 times

Advertisements

Whats the take on IT Jobs in both the states?
Dallas / Huston / Austin (burbs) vs Chicago (Burbs)
How is Public Transportation from Dallas / Huston burbs to DT?

I currently live in Chicago burbs and commute to DT with Metra.
Planning to move out. Because of these reasons.. .

1. Property Taxes are freaking high
2. Cold weather (Though I got used to it, better to be able to walk outside freely during winters)
3. Illinois Taxes are going to go up. Economy is slowly going down from what people here say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 05:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,098,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post

2. Cold weather (Though I got used to it, better to be able to walk outside freely during winters)
3. Illinois Taxes are going to go up. Economy is slowly going down from what people here say.
Depends on the type of IT jobs you're looking at. Austin is better for IT startups and innovation and Dallas for telecommunications, although the Tech startup scene in Dallas is up and coming. I'm not too sure about Houston though.

Public transportation is horrible to non-existent in Austin, lacking in Houston, and mediocre at best in Dallas. Coming from Chicago, prepare yourself for a downgrade in that department. Dallas has the best and most comprehensive public transit system in Texas overall, but you have to make sure your job is near a rail station or bus stop as well as your home. Keep in mind, that the infrastructure in Texas is horrible for pedestrians. If your job is in Downtown Dallas and you prefer a suburban lifestyle, a home within walking distance to DART rail station is a must!

1. Although Texas doesn't have a state income tax and neither do the cities, property taxes are pretty high. You'll need to do the math to figure out the overall tax burden between TX and IL. We also have toll roads in many spots.

2. The opposite problem you may have here is the heat. From late May until mid/late September, it is 90+ every day. Late June, July, and August it's anywhere from 97 - 103 most days. Dallas & Austin will probably feel a tad less humid than IL, but Houston has nasty humidity on top of the heat.

3. Same as #1. The economy isn't slowing down in Dallas, but many natives have been complaining over the rapid housing increases due to the influx of people and jobs.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:42 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,370,748 times
Quote:

Too bad the data shows IL has some of the strongest GDP growth in the nation...Lots of trolls pushing agendas on CD.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Too bad the data shows IL has some of the strongest GDP growth in the nation...Lots of trolls pushing agendas on CD.
Proof? Link? Data?
A few people I spoke with, who are born and brought up here, saying Illinois is going down the drain. Property taxes are already high and it does not stop there.

Do a google search "Texas vs Illinois", you get more info.

Well, I wish to hear some good things about Illinois though as I want to stay here. But things are pointing to a different direction.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:10 PM

832 posts, read 493,899 times
I think it's pretty easy. If you are a city person, you pick Chicago, because the urban life in Chicago is far superior to that of Dallas. I mean, it's not close.

If you plan on living and working in the suburbs, frankly, I would choose Dallas. Cheaper COL, more favorable climate most of the year, plenty to do - there is no real advantage to Chicago other than maybe you have some better public schools in the upper echelon of the 'burbs.

The harder decision would be if you live in the suburbs and work in the city. In this case, it probably depends on what you value more. If you value public transportation and a bigger city environment for work, pick Chicago. If you are looking for a cheaper, more suburban way of life but just happen to work in the city, pick Dallas.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:34 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,547,416 times
[If you plan on living and working in the suburbs, frankly, I would choose Dallas. Cheaper COL, more favorable climate most of the year, plenty to do - there is no real advantage to Chicago other than maybe you have some better public schools in the upper echelon of the 'burbs. ]

Well, that and the fact that *Chicago* is nearby.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:39 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,547,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
Don't mean to offend any one but from what I see Chicago is overall more loyal to their team sports than Dallas is. I mean across the board -NHL, NFL, MLS, NBA, MLB- Chicago fans are fanatics about these teams even when they are down. The only team I see the Dallas faithful being behind up or down are the mavs, stars, and COWBOYS.
win/lose cubs and sox fans are die hard and make it out to the games. I can't say that about Rangers fans.

Just the way the city is set up logistically promotes this sports atmosphere.

Each team is within the city limits. In Dallas you'll need your motivation to drive out to Arlington to see the rangers, and then treck up to Frisco to watch the MLS team. The other teams seem to be pretty much a given if you are lucky enough to get a ticket.

A plus for Dallas is that with the sports teams being spread out it helps to draw people to all parts of the metro which helps to spread the wealth.

Chicago may beat dallas at the urban core but Dallas crushes Chicago on the suburban front.

Another thing. The Lake (lake michigan) on the chicago side is a big tease. part of the time its not safe to enter due to chemical levels and the rest of the year its too cold. In Dallas you could really enjoy the lake life.

Lastly if you are doing it for the Pizza.- Chicago hands down! Although some Chicago pizza chains are starting to come to Dallas,, there is still not enough

[Dallas crushes Chicago on the suburban front.]
Really. How so? Please explain.

Not sure where you are getting your info on Lake Michigan, but it's wrong. People swim in Lake Michigan most of the Summer (mid June through Labor Day). It actually gets warm in August (upper 70s on occasion). Also, the nice thing about having Lake Michigan next door is that you have one of the largest bodies of fresh water on the planet in your back yard.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 PM

What I am looking for is, family friendly environment, Good Schools, drivable proximity to City (Just in case if I end up getting a job in DT), or public transportation. I am not a city person. More suburban, greenery, etc.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:38 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,070,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
May I ask where you got that data? I am looking at the numbers from BEA and it shows that Illinois grew only at 2.3% in 2016, below the national 2.4%, with both being notable lower, especially Illinois' number, for real GDP.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:41 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,370,748 times
Quote:
Proof? Link? Data?
A few people I spoke with, who are born and brought up here, saying Illinois is going down the drain. Property taxes are already high and it does not stop there.

Do a google search "Texas vs Illinois", you get more info.

Well, I wish to hear some good things about Illinois though as I want to stay here. But things are pointing to a different direction.
2015 Gross State Product Released; TX economy shrank by $32 billion last year
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...est-since-2001
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...e-vacancy-dips

Last edited by IrishIllini; 07-23-2016 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or