U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,542,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I live in DC and it doesn't get as cold. But I have no problem playing and walking outside during a bitter chicago winter. Take the good with the bad. I love the excitement of walking down the streets while it's snowing. Bring it on.
I feel weird responding to a post from 8 years ago, but I agree. There is this energy about snow falling down, whether you're on the street or watching from your living room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
I am a soldier retiring very soon. I am originally from Chicago. I lived in Chicago all my life but when I joined the Army I got stationed down south NC, SC, TX, LA, GA, FL and now I have hard time making a decision about where I want to live. Chicago or Dallas. First of all, Chicago has high crime rate and I have 2 boys second, I own a big truck and third, the winters are nightmare and the parking is beyond imaginable. Yet again it's my city and I grew up there and boys were born there and I met my wife and got married there. I have 1 sibling live in the burbs. Now for Dallas I have no idea what kind of city it is and which areas are good for my family and to raise my boys with good manners and good education. I also heard Dallas has some good houses and cheaper than Chicago. I would really appreciate it if someone can give me some inputs about Dallas. Also some advise for this soldier interm of which city is good for my family. Thank you all in Advance.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,370,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apakrawan View Post
I am a soldier retiring very soon. I am originally from Chicago. I lived in Chicago all my life but when I joined the Army I got stationed down south NC, SC, TX, LA, GA, FL and now I have hard time making a decision about where I want to live. Chicago or Dallas. First of all, Chicago has high crime rate and I have 2 boys second, I own a big truck and third, the winters are nightmare and the parking is beyond imaginable. Yet again it's my city and I grew up there and boys were born there and I met my wife and got married there. I have 1 sibling live in the burbs. Now for Dallas I have no idea what kind of city it is and which areas are good for my family and to raise my boys with good manners and good education. I also heard Dallas has some good houses and cheaper than Chicago. I would really appreciate it if someone can give me some inputs about Dallas. Also some advise for this soldier interm of which city is good for my family. Thank you all in Advance.
Dallas isn't any cheaper than Chicago at this point. You may get slightly more house for your money in Dallas, but that's FAR from a guarantee. Really depends on budget and where you work in both places. Would you be opposed to living in the suburbs of Chicago? I see plenty of trucks out in the burbs and since you have two boys it would make finding a quality public school painless. I can't do anything for you about winter, but since you're from here I'm sure you'll survive .

Old 11-30-2016, 08:14 AM

2,121 posts, read 1,523,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLydia View Post
Hey! I'm USA_Mom's friend. I just moved back to the Dallas area after being in Chicago, so let me share my thoughts.

I love Chicago. The food is great, the atmosphere is great, and you just can't beat going into the city (if you live out in the burbs) on the weekends. There is a lot to do during the summer, lots of festivals and events, etc. I love the fact that the city and the burbs have great charm and there is great cultural diversity there. My biggest gripes about Chicago are: weather, traffic and cost of living. The weather in Chicago is pretty much bad except for the summer. Cold and dreary from November until end of April. Traffic is horrible if you want to drive anywhere that isn't in the immediate vicinity of your house and I mean ALL THE TIME. Rush hour starts early and ends late. Try getting anywhere Friday afternoon starting at about noon and you're SOL. Also, rent and housing is VERY expensive. For those 3 reasons alone, I moved after living there for 8 years, both in the city and out in the 'burbs (N. Shore).

Dallas. What I love about Dallas is the weather, low cost of living and after being in Chicago, traffic rocks here!! I went to school in the area and just moved back from Chicago. No state income tax and the sales tax is pretty much equal to Chicago, so I got an automatic bump in pay. Salaries are comparable down here, but housing is MUCH cheaper. What I dislike about it here is the lack of trees, and all of the houses look exactly alike out here in suburbia. Lots of chain restaurants too and the local places you have to look for a lot harder. And I actually love the weather. Yeah, it's hot during July and August (and this year June), but to me, it's a better trade-off than crappy Chicago winters.

I say either city is great, I love them both, but I much prefer it here in Dallas and think my quality of life is better. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Only somebody from ridiculously expensive parts of the country, like Chicago, California, or the Northeast, would think that salaries are great in Dallas and that Dallas area housing is super cheap. No offense, but y'all are the ones keeping salaries stagnant and rapidly driving up the cost of housing for the rest of us in DFW.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Only somebody from ridiculously expensive parts of the country, like Chicago, California, or the Northeast, would think that salaries are great in Dallas and that Dallas area housing is super cheap. No offense, but y'all are the ones keeping salaries stagnant and rapidly driving up the cost of housing for the rest of us in DFW.
Chicago's COL is equal to Dallas' as this point. People who are constantly talking about how fiscally prudent it is to live in Dallas are either trying to sell property in Dallas or are completely unaware of the COL in other parts of the country. The only places that are actually "unaffordable" are the states along the west coast and northeast.

https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ving/index.stm

Old 11-30-2016, 08:44 AM

292 posts, read 181,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
I used to live in Milwaukee and commute to Chicago for work. I hated it. People are rude, the food isn't all that great, and I never went to anything worth all the other crap (or that couldn't be experienced elsewhere).

A lot of people like it there, though, so we obviously just have different tastes. I think you really need to just visit both.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:10 PM

259 posts, read 294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukua View Post
Chicago food is great.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:33 PM

2,121 posts, read 1,523,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Chicago's COL is equal to Dallas' as this point.
Well, that's not true. Yeah, Dallas' COL is definitely shooting up, but if it were comparable with Chicago's COL yet, then so many people wouldn't keep flocking to Dallas from Chicago bragging about how much more they can get for their money in Dallas than they did in Chicago.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:56 AM

899 posts, read 509,387 times
Quote:
Well, that's not true. Yeah, Dallas' COL is definitely shooting up, but if it were comparable with Chicago's COL yet, then so many people wouldn't keep flocking to Dallas from Chicago bragging about how much more they can get for their money in Dallas than they did in Chicago.
I'm sure taxes in Dallas/Ft. Worth are much lower than they are in Chicago. Just about everyone I know of from Chicago complains about the high taxes and the stagnant salaries there.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
You may get more house for your money (increasingly unlikely) as Chicago's housing stock tends to be older/smaller, but overall the COL in both places is nearly identical. I've had this discussion with 10+ people at this point (mostly from Dallas) who don't seem able to accept it as truth. Check this out

https://www.missourieconomy.org/indi...ving/index.stm

TX is MARGINALLY more affordable than Illinois. Both IL and TX are below the national average. People who move from Chicago to Dallas are saving (at most) a few hundred bucks a year. Moving from a place like San Francisco to Dallas (or Chicago) will actually save you thousands of dollars per year. Chicago -> Dallas...not so much. In the Chicago forum we've helped a number of Texans relocate and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is pleasantly surprised by the COL. Chicago being Chicago causes people to think it is outrageously expensive when the truth of the matter is it's shockingly affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I'm sure taxes in Dallas/Ft. Worth are much lower than they are in Chicago. Just about everyone I know of from Chicago complains about the high taxes and the stagnant salaries there.
Salaries in Chicago are on the up - as they are nationally (thanks, Obama). Property taxes in DFW are just as big a burden as they are in Chicagoland at this point. WHERE you decide to live can result in wildly varying property taxes in both places. Illinois has a state income tax - albeit a low one - but the median income in Chicago is higher than the median income in Dallas.

If you would like more information on this topic, please review my post history. I have discussed it at length with various people over the past few weeks.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 12-06-2016 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or