Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 AM

45 posts, read 53,094 times

Advertisements

I lived in Dallas years ago and Chicago now but still have a lot of friends in Dallas. It was true that Dallas used to be much cheaper but that has changed. In the past decade, manufacturing jobs have been on a steep decline and business services jobs have been on the rise. It's a nationwide trend but it affects each city disproportionately. Dallas is not affected by the manufacturing decline nearly as much as Chicago simply because it didn't have as many manufacturing jobs to start with. The loss of manufacturing jobs in the past decade caused thousands of people moving out of Chicago while the gain in business services jobs is not enough to offset it. By the law of supply and demand, home prices in Chicago in 2016 is about 15-20% cheaper than it was in 2006. In Dallas, home prices in 2016 is 30-35% more expensive than it was in 2006. That makes the COL in 2 cities very close to each other now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,147,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina21 View Post
I lived in Dallas years ago and Chicago now but still have a lot of friends in Dallas. It was true that Dallas used to be much cheaper but that has changed. In the past decade, manufacturing jobs have been on a steep decline and business services jobs have been on the rise. It's a nationwide trend but it affects each city disproportionately. Dallas is not affected by the manufacturing decline nearly as much as Chicago simply because it didn't have as many manufacturing jobs to start with. The loss of manufacturing jobs in the past decade caused thousands of people moving out of Chicago while the gain in business services jobs is not enough to offset it. By the law of supply and demand, home prices in Chicago in 2016 is about 15-20% cheaper than it was in 2006. In Dallas, home prices in 2016 is 30% more expensive than it was in 2006. That makes the COL in 2 cities very close to each other now.
I agree. Jobs in Chicago are now reaching new peaks, but Chicago was hit hard by the recession and the deindustrialization of the region. The difference between Chicago and the rest of the Midwest is that Chicago has always had a strong white collar presence. We've managed to progress with the country whereas places like Cleveland, Detroit, and St. Louis fell behind. Chicagoland's housing prices are mostly back to where they were before the crash, but it did take a bit longer than most other places.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:46 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,376,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Salaries in Chicago are on the up - as they are nationally (thanks, Obama). Property taxes in DFW are just as big a burden as they are in Chicagoland at this point.
At this point, it's either the cold weather or the Evangelical Christianity being pushed down everyone's throat that is a big downside of living in either place.

Those new suburban houses in Texas have other tax bills besides the customary County property tax bill. At my house in suburban Houston, I also get a MUD (Municipal Utility District - local government entity primarily responsible for paying off the bonds to build the water and sewer lines) and previously a school district bill (the district uses my county's tax office to collect taxes in the tri-county area, so my county adds it to the customary tax bill to save from duplications).

Old 12-07-2016, 12:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
At this point, it's either the cold weather or the Evangelical Christianity being pushed down everyone's throat that is a big downside of living in either place.

Those new suburban houses in Texas have other tax bills besides the customary County property tax bill. At my house in suburban Houston, I also get a MUD (Municipal Utility District - local government entity primarily responsible for paying off the bonds to build the water and sewer lines) and previously a school district bill (the district uses my county's tax office to collect taxes in the tri-county area, so my county adds it to the customary tax bill to save from duplications).
You don't know anything about Dallas. Lived there for 6 years. NEVER had evangelical Christianity pushed down my throat.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:29 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,093,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
You don't know anything about Dallas. Lived there for 6 years. NEVER had evangelical Christianity pushed down my throat.
The evangelical Christianity is more of a state government issue than local. So while Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio are more left of center and "live and let live," they have to constantly battle the radical fundamentalists in the Texas state government. You don't find those same issues in Illinois. The Illinois legislature isn't trying to force women who had abortions to have a funeral for the fetus nor is it trying to strike down anti-discriminatory local ordinances (e.g. LGBT protections in the cities of Dallas, Austin, etc.). The mixing of state and religion is a big problem in Texas.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The evangelical Christianity is more of a state government issue than local. So while Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio are more left of center and "live and let live," they have to constantly battle the radical fundamentalists in the Texas state government. You don't find those same issues in Illinois. The Illinois legislature isn't trying to force women who had abortions to have a funeral for the fetus nor is it trying to strike down anti-discriminatory local ordinances (e.g. LGBT protections in the cities of Dallas, Austin, etc.). The mixing of state and religion is a big problem in Texas.
I think it can be local in a place like the Panhandle or East Texas. Dallas was far too big and diverse for that.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:56 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,093,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I think it can be local in a place like the Panhandle or East Texas. Dallas was far too big and diverse for that.
I interpreted the KerrTown's response as making a choice between states, not just specific to a particular city. Illinois in general is very cold in the winter and Texas has many socially conservative state legislators that can impact even the most liberal cities in the state. I think it's an odd choice though -- why not choose between cold Illinois or hot Texas? Choosing between the cold and evangelical Christianity is an odd choice.

I've said ad nauseum on here that the city and county of Dallas aren't conservative. I've posted facts to back that up. The 2016 election should've been a clear enough answer, but there were still clueless posters trying to paint "Dallas as a conservative city" narrative. I know it's catchy and helps to market Austin's "coolness" by claiming it's a liberal oasis in a sea of red.... but that's way out of date now. Austin no longer has the market on liberals. Whether that's good or bad is subjective.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:14 PM

895 posts, read 1,230,770 times
Moved from Chicago to Austin and don't regret that one bit.

Pretty much the responses on first few pages are right on.

Chicago has the more diverse population, culture, great food and urban experience.

Dallas/Austin- awesome weather, lower cost of living and for most a better quality of life.

Either or are great however we truly love it here.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,147,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Moved from Chicago to Austin and don't regret that one bit.

Pretty much the responses on first few pages are right on.

Chicago has the more diverse population, culture, great food and urban experience.

Dallas/Austin- awesome weather, lower cost of living and for most a better quality of life.

Either or are great however we truly love it here.
Read the last few pages. Dallas is not any cheaper than Chicago. Austin probably won't be for much longer. QOL is subjective. I'd personally be less happy in Dallas than Chicago, but to each their own.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Read the last few pages. Dallas is not any cheaper than Chicago. Austin probably won't be for much longer. QOL is subjective. I'd personally be less happy in Dallas than Chicago, but to each their own.
Two things. Austin is MORE expensive than Dallas. Its the most expensive city in Texas.

Second, if you would consult a cost of living calculator, youd see Chicago is roughly 18-20% more expensive than Dallas no matter how much you say otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City