U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 18,009 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Kansas City but I need a change. I am trying to decide which city to move to. What city is better? Dallas has nice winters, but the summers are brutal. Chicago has nice summers, but the winters are a nightmare.

I teach high school math and can get a job just about anywhere I go. Please help me decide. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:41 PM

670 posts, read 2,691,253 times
I forwarded a link to a friend of mine. She lived in Denton for college, then Chicago and now back here so maybe she will have some insight for you.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 17,974 times
Hey! I'm USA_Mom's friend. I just moved back to the Dallas area after being in Chicago, so let me share my thoughts.

I love Chicago. The food is great, the atmosphere is great, and you just can't beat going into the city (if you live out in the burbs) on the weekends. There is a lot to do during the summer, lots of festivals and events, etc. I love the fact that the city and the burbs have great charm and there is great cultural diversity there. My biggest gripes about Chicago are: weather, traffic and cost of living. The weather in Chicago is pretty much bad except for the summer. Cold and dreary from November until end of April. Traffic is horrible if you want to drive anywhere that isn't in the immediate vicinity of your house and I mean ALL THE TIME. Rush hour starts early and ends late. Try getting anywhere Friday afternoon starting at about noon and you're SOL. Also, rent and housing is VERY expensive. For those 3 reasons alone, I moved after living there for 8 years, both in the city and out in the 'burbs (N. Shore).

Dallas. What I love about Dallas is the weather, low cost of living and after being in Chicago, traffic rocks here!! I went to school in the area and just moved back from Chicago. No state income tax and the sales tax is pretty much equal to Chicago, so I got an automatic bump in pay. Salaries are comparable down here, but housing is MUCH cheaper. What I dislike about it here is the lack of trees, and all of the houses look exactly alike out here in suburbia. Lots of chain restaurants too and the local places you have to look for a lot harder. And I actually love the weather. Yeah, it's hot during July and August (and this year June), but to me, it's a better trade-off than crappy Chicago winters.

I say either city is great, I love them both, but I much prefer it here in Dallas and think my quality of life is better. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:06 PM

670 posts, read 2,691,253 times
Also note MissLydia lives out in Collin County not Dallas proper so you'd probably find less McMansions there.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM

17 posts, read 54,300 times
I think I'd rather live in Chicago. It's a real urban experience. In Dallas it feels like a faux urban experience. The small area north of downtown reeks of 'newness' and soulessness. All these instant buildings or "McMidrises" in uptown are rather dull and uninteresting compared to all the cool skyscrapers going up in Chicago these days. And the rail system in Dallas is a bit of a joke.

Dallas is a nice place to raise a family though. The people are friendlier. The traffic jams suck. And the surrounding area is a little plain. Nothing cool to look at like Lake Michigan.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 PM

434 posts, read 1,306,480 times
Why don't you try both? You may find that you have a stronger desire for one over the other. If you just go and commit to one you will always feel the "grass is greener on the other side" emotion.
The reason I say this is because the Dallas and Chicago lifestyles are completely different. I have lived the chicago condo lifestyle and had to adjust to living in Dallas which was tough at first. What I realized is that Dallas at least for now won't fulfill any true "big city" desires you may have. There is just about zero mass transit (a joke at best compared to Chicago). In Chicago you have all of the sports team within the city, business, bars, theater, restaurants on the top floor of a 90 story building, activities up and down the lake shore. There is a small part of Dallas that is slighty similar to a part of chicago called Uptown. Thats where the similarity stops.

Dallas has a lot to offer more so if you are ok with commuting. Everything is within a 20-30 mile radius of the city and there is more wide spread beauty and scenery, neighborhoods, better schools and things to do in the Dallas Metroplex than there is in Chicago and greater areas.

You can live more comfortably here in Dallas than in Chicago. Money goes a lot further not just in income tax, cost of a home but darn near everything else!

If you own a car in Chicago watch out. There is almost no street parking available and the cost to either buy a parking spot in a condo building ($30K-$50k) or rent a spot $200-300 per month is tough to swallow. Typically to park in any parking garage if you are just going out to shop can usually run you $20-$30. In Dallas even in the city that is usually free.

As you can see there are trade-offs to live in both cities it all depends on what you value the most.

My vote is for Dallas so you can have more disposable income to allow you live and play in Dallas and escape it in the summer time to visit Chicago and come back to Dallas during the fall to teach and escape the Chicago winter.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 PM

4,133 posts, read 13,271,512 times
I moved to Dallas from Chicago 13 years ago and don't regret it at all. We really love it here. Yes the summers are hot but you get used to it and we spend so much more time outdoors now.

We loved Chicago too but we love it here a lot more. Leave the shovel behind and the heavy coats too.

Naima

Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 PM

1,294 posts, read 5,985,065 times
i would rather have a hot summer than a freezing winter. and the heat hasn't been too bad yet (i'm from sc).

Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 AM

428 posts, read 1,219,899 times
When I was looking from a break from Dallas a few years ago, Chicago was one of my choices. Went there in January to taste the winter. That little routine of putting your scarf, then the coat, then the hat, than the gloves grew very tiring VERY fast. What I thought was annoying is the fact that you could not go to your car (parked accross the street) without having to wear all those clothing items. Insane in my book.

Dallas is hot, but just make sure your apartment, house or gymn have a nice pool.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:11 AM

415 posts, read 1,533,987 times
I used to live in Milwaukee and commute to Chicago for work. I hated it. People are rude, the food isn't all that great, and I never went to anything worth all the other crap (or that couldn't be experienced elsewhere).

A lot of people like it there, though, so we obviously just have different tastes. I think you really need to just visit both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or