Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North or South Carolina?
North Carolina is better 35 61.40%
South Carolina is better 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw2009 View Post
umm, Whenever i hear either Carolina i think out houses and pregnant 14 year old's .

Such a statement doesn't even deserve a polite response.

Quote:
Not that it is that way but, Most of the country thinks of them as red neck.
Most of the country doesn't know who the sitting Vice President is.

Ignorance of the masses is hardly a sound thing to base any intelligent thought on, don't you think?

Quote:
Im not sure who anyone from either state thinks the rest of the country thinks of NC. As a "smart" State lol.
It's only one of the U.S. centers for finance and the second largest banking sector of the nation, after New York.

But omgz lol teh all do their cuzins

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
What is this talk of clowns?
You know, the people with face paint and big shoes. They like to act crazy and shout at the president. Oops! Lol.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Interesting thread. NC has more cities. SC has a bit more charm. I think I have reasonable authority on this, my dad's from SC and mom's from NC. I spent a few of my formative years in SC and went to school there in jr and high school.

I vote for SC. Since Charleston is pretty much the only place that is still on the list to move to after being priced out of CA. :P

SC schools where I lived are far better than the bulk of CA schools. You need to move into nearly a million dollar area in CA to get come close to a the middle class school district in SC. That's sad.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
South Carolina is better.

The Outer Banks is cool, but is really no match for Hilton Head and Kiawah Island.

Charlotte is a nice city, but a little too woodsy for my taste. I actually thought it was "woodsier" than Columbia. The same goes for Raleigh. I flew into RDU and there's really no grid pattern at all; it was a ton of greenspace. When I flew into Columbia at night, at least it looked somewhat like a major city. The airport in Columbia was really nice, too.

North Carolina has no answer for Myrtle Beach. Definitely no answer for Charleston.

North Carolina just has better colleges. I guess people like it more because it went blue this past election cycle, too.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:38 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arw2009 View Post
umm, Whenever i hear either Carolina i think out houses and pregnant 14 year old's . Not that it is that way but, Most of the country thinks of them as red neck. Im not sure who anyone from either state thinks the rest of the country thinks of NC. As a "smart" State lol.
This is poorly worded, but whatever.

I actually enjoyed my time in South Carolina and have considered moving there (if I ever start a family). I couldn't care less what the popular perception of the state is. I would love to own a home near Lake Murray. It's truly a hidden gem and I have a number of relatives from Philadelphia and New Jersey that have moved there in recent years. They love it.

I think people think more highly of North Carolina because there are more East and West Coast transplants there. These people are supposed to be more "enlightened" than backwards southerners. Even if they are, they're definitely not more cordial. When I was in Columbia, I got lost, and this guy actually got in his car and had me follow him to the correct location. Do you think that would ever happen in Boston? The people are really nice and that's all that matters to me. I'd hate for a bunch of rowdy New Yorkers to move there and ruin everything.

Birmingham has really nice people too. Once you get rid of the glitz and glamor, the South is honestly a much nicer place to live.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

The Outer Banks is cool, but is really no match for Hilton Head and Kiawah Island.

Charlotte is a nice city, but a little too woodsy for my taste. I actually thought it was "woodsier" than Columbia. The same goes for Raleigh. I flew into RDU and there's really no grid pattern at all; it was a ton of greenspace. When I flew into Columbia at night, at least it looked somewhat like a major city. The airport in Columbia was really nice, too.

North Carolina has no answer for Myrtle Beach. Definitely no answer for Charleston.

North Carolina just has better colleges. I guess people like it more because it went blue this past election cycle, too.
As a native SC'er who lived in Charlotte for a few years, I'd have to say that people like NC better because it generally has a better economy and it doesn't produce headline-making politicians to the extent that SC does. I love my home state and it often doesn't get credit where it is due, but truth is truth.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:

Raleigh's suburb, Cary, is larger than Columbia.
As for the trees, we'll make sure we get them all cut down. Lord knows that we don't want to be woodsy.
BTW, RDU is adjacent to an enormous state park that's in Raleigh's city limits. That's why you see the trees. Again...we'll make sure that they all get cut down for perception's sake.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Raleigh's suburb, Cary, is larger than Columbia.
That's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. If you're talking city limits, yes this is true. It's also true that Charlotte is larger than Miami, Atlanta, DC, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, and Boston. SC has very restrictive annexation laws, whereas NC has very liberal annexation laws which is why Cary has more people within its boundaries than Columbia. Secondly, Cary is a flat-out suburb that is included within Raleigh's urbanized area, whereas Columbia is the center of its own urbanized area. I understand that you were naturally trying to defend Raleigh here (as you should be--never really heard "woodsiness" as a disadvantage LOL), but I just wanted to bring in a bit of perspective here.

But I will say that I think Columbia does look good from the air:

As a bit of an aside here, downtown Columbia actually has more office space than downtown Raleigh. However, Columbia doesn't have anything like RTP that serves as an additional office market and is an absolute beast of an economic engine.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:

This is the first time a city had too many trees. Lol. But, like rnc2mbfl said, we'll make sure to cut them down next time. SC has some great cities. NC has nothing that can compete with Charleston. But SC has nothing that can compete with Asheville. Also, SC has USC, Clemson, Wofford, and College of Charleston. These schools are by no means a slouch. But, for the most part your post is very informative.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
But SC has nothing that can compete with Asheville.
You've never heard of Myrtle Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City