Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North or South Carolina?
North Carolina is better 35 61.40%
South Carolina is better 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
It's a beach town! Asheville is a mountain town. I guess I should say, NC has nothing that can compete with Charleston and Myrtle Beach. But, SC still has nothing that can compete with Asheville.
I know, I was just yankin' yer chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
North Carolina.

It's far more beautiful (the mountains are more dramatic)- NC beaches are really no different from SC (I guess SC gets the "slight" edge), and the weather is more to my liking.
I do agree that natural scenery goes to NC, mainly for the mountains which NC definitely has more of. The mountains in SC are confined to the very small northwestern corner of the state. As far as beaches go, SC has more variety among its beaches: you have the tourist trap of Myrtle Beach (which NC'ers love), the small historic towns (Georgetown, Beaufort), the historic, cultural coastal city (Charleston), the high-falutin' wealthy enclaves (Hilton Head, Kiawah Island), and the smaller unspoiled areas (Edisto Beach, Pawleys Island). But NC does get points for Wilmington and the Outer Banks.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I do agree that natural scenery goes to NC, mainly for the mountains which NC definitely has more of. The mountains in SC are confined to the very small northwestern corner of the state. As far as beaches go, SC has more variety among its beaches: you have the tourist trap of Myrtle Beach (which NC'ers love), the small historic towns (Georgetown, Beaufort), the historic, cultural coastal city (Charleston), the high-falutin' wealthy enclaves (Hilton Head, Kiawah Island), and the smaller unspoiled areas (Edisto Beach, Pawleys Island). But NC does get points for Wilmington and the Outer Banks.
I would figure like this. SC gets the coast, NC gets the mountains. Then you have the cities. NC cities trump SC cities. NC has three metros over 1 million and over $50 billion in GDP. Then there is also Asheville, Fayetteville, and Wilmington. SC has Upstate, Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Florence. These are by no means bad areas, just not as big as the NC metros. Depending on your taste, smaller may be good.

And, btw, I had a feeling my chain was being yanked.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I would figure like this. SC gets the coast, NC gets the mountains. Then you have the cities. NC cities trump SC cities. NC has three metros over 1 million and over $50 billion in GDP. Then there is also Asheville, Fayetteville, and Wilmington. SC has Upstate, Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Florence. These are by no means bad areas, just not as big as the NC metros. Depending on your taste, smaller may be good.

And, btw, I had a feeling my chain was being yanked.
True, there's no SC equivalent to Asheville. But Charleston > Wilmington. Fayetteville is basically Florence with a big military base.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
True, there's no SC equivalent to Asheville. But Charleston > Wilmington. Fayetteville is basically Florence with a big military base.
...and Florence has a better college.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM

40 posts, read 176,997 times
Didnt mean to bring back dead thread lol

Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,923,927 times
Beaches (Folly Beach, Hilton Head, Kiawah Island, Myrtle Beach.....) - SC
Mountains - NC
College Football/Baseball - SC
College Basketball - NC
Historic Cities - SC
Today's Cities - NC
NFL - SC/NC (Practice in Spartanburg play in Charlotte)

Ummmmm...I'm a Carolina Boy. Grew up in SC, lived in NC for 2 years...Love both. SC is in my heart though....

Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM

31,861 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Charleston is better than all of the cities in North Carolina. Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte and Raleigh look like they could be anywhere in the United States. There's no city in North Carolina that's as unique as Charleston.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,923,927 times
You're right. Charleston is THE most unique city of the Carolina's....Right along with New Orleans and Savannah.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,830,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Beaches (Folly Beach, Hilton Head, Kiawah Island, Myrtle Beach.....) - SC
Mountains - NC
College Football/Baseball - SC
College Basketball - NC
Historic Cities - SC
Today's Cities - NC
NFL - SC/NC (Practice in Spartanburg play in Charlotte)
BBQ - South Carolina

*ducks*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City