U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: North or South Carolina?
North Carolina is better 35 61.40%
South Carolina is better 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 PM

126 posts, read 119,495 times
Charlotte's success is largely due to South Carolina? Since when was South Carolina a powerhouse? Haha no. Did SC get Bank of America here? Wells Fargo/Wachovia? Any of the businesses based in or around Charlotte? No. Did SC have anything to do with the light rail? The interstates? No. The only think Charlotte really has to do with South Carolina is Carowinds, something SC seem to claim although it isn't even theirs.

If you are looking to relax/retire and such, South Carolina would be for you, but some spots in North Carolina are as well.
If you are looking for the big cities, large names, bigger population, more things to do, North Carolina is the place.

I voted for North Carolina as did 61%. Instead of thinking you know everything about both of the states and what the population looking to move to one of the states want, why don't you just accept the fact more people think North Carolina is better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 PM

10,694 posts, read 6,362,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
Charlotte's success is largely due to South Carolina? Since when was South Carolina a powerhouse? Haha no. Did SC get Bank of America here? Wells Fargo/Wachovia? Any of the businesses based in or around Charlotte? No. Did SC have anything to do with the light rail? The interstates? No. The only think Charlotte really has to do with South Carolina is Carowinds, something SC seem to claim although it isn't even theirs.
You have reading comprehension issues. I never said "Charlotte's success is largely due to South Carolina," but I DID say that historically, the state and some natives have played key roles in its success. Hugh McColl is a native South Carolinian that took a regional bank and made it a regional powerhouse (in part by acquiring some sizable SC banks). And yes, SC actually DID get a couple of businesses around Charlotte, specifically in York and Lancaster counties. The Panthers is a team for both states and their training camp is in Spartanburg where Jerry Richardson attended college. Charlotte's central location to both states was a big selling point in getting the franchise. And the fact that lots of Charlotte-area businesses, particularly manufacturing, utilize the Port of Charleston (which is a behemoth compared to Wilmington's) also plays a role in Charlotte's success. Charlotte is a logistics center for the Carolinas, so it's only natural that SC plays the role that it plays in Charlotte's economy.

Quote:
If you are looking to relax/retire and such, South Carolina would be for you, but some spots in North Carolina are as well.
If you are looking for the big cities, large names, bigger population, more things to do, North Carolina is the place.
Big cities? Sure, I'll give you Charlotte and Raleigh. Everywhere else? Solidly midsized to small (even Raleigh isn't quite yet an actual "big city").

Quote:
I voted for North Carolina as did 61%. Instead of thinking you know everything about both of the states and what the population looking to move to one of the states want, why don't you just accept the fact more people think North Carolina is better.
You still have reading comprehension issues I see; I really hate dealing with your type because you'll twist people's words to win an argument due to something ignorant you stated and was soundly smacked down. The poll I have no problems with. The stupid notion that all cities in SC are just alike was challenged. It was an inane thing to say, and you know it. Now you can't defend it, so you try to make it seem like I'm arguing something else. But I forget, we usually deal with your type during the summer when school is out. Things will get back to normal once y'all start fretting over proms and homecomings and stuff.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM

126 posts, read 119,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You have reading comprehension issues. I never said "Charlotte's success is largely due to South Carolina," but I DID say that historically, the state and some natives have played key roles in its success. Hugh McColl is a native South Carolinian that took a regional bank and made it a regional powerhouse (in part by acquiring some sizable SC banks). And yes, SC actually DID get a couple of businesses around Charlotte, specifically in York and Lancaster counties. The Panthers is a team for both states and their training camp is in Spartanburg where Jerry Richardson attended college. Charlotte's central location to both states was a big selling point in getting the franchise. And the fact that lots of Charlotte-area businesses, particularly manufacturing, utilize the Port of Charleston (which is a behemoth compared to Wilmington's) also plays a role in Charlotte's success. Charlotte is a logistics center for the Carolinas, so it's only natural that SC plays the role that it plays in Charlotte's economy.

Last time I checked, York and Lancaster counties were NOT Charlotte. You're trying to make a point that South Carolina helped Charlotte historically when you're bringing up Charleston's Port and comparing it to Wilmington? This isn't the which state has more history thread.

Big cities? Sure, I'll give you Charlotte and Raleigh. Everywhere else? Solidly midsized to small (even Raleigh isn't quite yet an actual "big city").

I'm comparing this to South Carolina, not the rest of the country. SC's largest city has 130,591 people and a CSA barely above Charlotte's city population. Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham and Fayetteville all have higher populations than that and Columbia's population for a state capital is sad. Whenever you actually have a mid-sized city in South Carolina, maybe you'll consider Raleigh a big city.

You still have reading comprehension issues I see; I really hate dealing with your type because you'll twist people's words to win an argument due to something ignorant you stated and was soundly smacked down. The poll I have no problems with. The stupid notion that all cities in SC are just alike was challenged. It was an inane thing to say, and you know it. Now you can't defend it, so you try to make it seem like I'm arguing something else. But I forget, we usually deal with your type during the summer when school is out. Things will get back to normal once y'all start fretting over proms and homecomings and stuff.

"Things will get back to normal once ya'll start fretting over proms and homecomings and stuff." What is that suppose to mean? You're acting like every North Carolinian goes to South Carolina and act like we own the state. We have our own beaches to go to, but IF we wanted to go to a SC beach, we're just like every other tourist there. Stop basing your information of useless complaints you have about North Carolinian's, once again, this isn't the thread for that.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:48 PM

30,849 posts, read 35,931,653 times
Interestingly, the Charlotte and Charleston metros are about neck and neck in terms of the percentage of the population 25 and over that have at least a Bachelor's degree: Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 07-15-2012, 12:53 PM

10,694 posts, read 6,362,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
"Things will get back to normal once ya'll start fretting over proms and homecomings and stuff." What is that suppose to mean?
Read the statement a few more times in context and it ought to click for you. The fact that you're a newbie here and came in with guns blazing is typical for this board during the summer when the kiddies get bored.

Quote:
You're acting like every North Carolinian goes to South Carolina and act like we own the state. We have our own beaches to go to, but IF we wanted to go to a SC beach, we're just like every other tourist there. Stop basing your information of useless complaints you have about North Carolinian's, once again, this isn't the thread for that.
I have no "useless complaints about North Carolina." The only "complaint" I had was your ignorant, asinine, ridiculous, baseless assertion about all cities in SC being the same. It was a completely stupid statement.

Oh, and a good bit of NC'ers, especially Charlotteans, utilize SC's beaches much more often than NC's. It makes sense since they can get to Myrtle Beach and Charleston just as quick, if not quicker, than Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, etc. and they'll have more to do there. And the Outer Banks is almost completely out of the question.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 PM

5,168 posts, read 1,969,288 times

One little poll on this site and you think everyone thinks NC is better. Well I hate to burst your bubble but that is nowhere near a fact. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM

986 posts, read 1,021,113 times
Take away Charlotte and Raleigh and both the cities in Carolina stack up pretty evenly. Do not look at city populations when comparing. NC has the most laid back annexation laws in the United States and SC has the most strict.....

Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM

8,861 posts, read 15,824,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Read the statement a few more times in context and it ought to click for you. The fact that you're a newbie here and came in with guns blazing is typical for this board during the summer when the kiddies get bored.
Seeing "ha ha" written after a sentence pretty much gives it away too.

And why is this in the CITY vs CITY forum anyways?

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 07-15-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 4,394 times
Nc

Old 07-21-2012, 02:12 PM

4,886 posts, read 5,324,375 times
Charlotte=plus 1 for both states
Both states in many ways can claim Charlotte as their own, so the Charlotte argument is moot.

Asheville=plus 1 for NC
A fun mountain town to visit, but it's still a small town. This much is evident when you stay there for more than 3 days. By day two, you begin to look for things to do such as hitting up a local YMCA. They have gyms in the Asheville area, but there isn't really that many to choose from. The same can be said about finding a drug store; they exists but there really isn't that many (by midsized city standards). Also, for someone like me who likes to park his car and take advantage of the local mass transit options; Asheville just isn't the place to visit.

Winston-Salem=plus 1 for NC
Though rarely ever mentioned as a great place to visit due to the fact that it isn't a beach or mountain town; Winston gets my vote. It has a bit of grit, history, decent mass transit, museums, beautiful parks, interesting neighborhoods, and IMO the second best skyline in NC. Winston also has decent nightlife for a city its size. What Winston lacks is the type of sprawl one would find in the Charlotte and Raleigh areas which IMO makes Winston even better.

Wilmington=plus 1 for SC
Yes I meant to type SC because a visit to Wilmington always makes me want to go to Charleston for the bigger version.

Charleston=plus 1 for SC
What can I say about Charleston? Hmmmmm. Well, I LOVE Folly Beach for the fact that it's more laid back than Myrtle. Also, the food is great, the downtown is almost perfect, and the people are friendly. Charleston most certainly has its downsides, but I'd rather not say what they are because I've noticed how biased this website is towards old historic towns like Charleston. There seems to be a "nothing is wrong with those cities" type of mentality. That said, I'll keep my Charleston comments on the positive.

Myrtle Beach=plus 1 for SC
The best beach in the Carolinas hands down.....

Overall, SC wins when it comes to interesting places to visit. NC wins when it comes to having cities that provide the benefits of living in a mid-sized town. The truth IMO is that these two states are more alike than they are different, but the NC crowd tends to think that they're "better".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City