U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: North or South Carolina?
North Carolina is better 35 61.40%
South Carolina is better 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,213,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
SC is the worst state in the south. People are ignorant, rednecks, dumb, stereotypical, slow.
Yeah, I fit all of those characteristics.

*cough*a/s/s/h/o/l/e*cough*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:00 PM

1,430 posts, read 5,197,803 times
Besides Ashville and Wilmington in North Carolina, I hate this state. South Carolina is definitely a much better to live...work...and play!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM

6,391 posts, read 8,716,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Besides Ashville and Wilmington in North Carolina, I hate this state. South Carolina is definitely a much better to live...work...and play!
Um. You said that already.

Out of curiosity, why don't you exit North Carolina?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,418,511 times
South Carolina!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,037 times
Exclamation NC absolutely!

Dean Smith, Michael Jordan, Blue Ridge/Smokey mountains, Ava Gardner, Ronnie Milsap, Richard Petty, just to name a few. SC beaches are too comericial. NC beaches are clean, white sandy beaches. Can't beat the bbq either. Enough said.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraAT View Post
SC beaches are too comericial. NC beaches are clean, white sandy beaches.
You're only familiar with the commercial beaches (which, ironically, tend to be heavily patronized by North Carolinians). SC has its pristine, largely undisturbed beaches as well, such as Edisto Beach, Bulls Island, Seabrook Island, Fripp Island, Hunting Island, etc. Overall, I think SC has a better variety of beaches. You've got the theme-park, heavily commercialized beach in Myrtle Beach, the historic, classy beaches in the Charleston area, the resort, upper-crust beaches down towards Hilton Head and Kiawah, and the more pristine, undisturbed beaches I listed above.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,760,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas76 View Post
...nothing can compare to Charleston.
True. But then, NC has the outer banks and Beaufort.

NC has Asheville, but SC has Greenville.

NC has Southern Pines, but SC has Aiken.

Both states are quite similar, really. NC is more focused on future growth, while SC is a tad more focused on retirees.

SC is probably a bit more laid-back, while N. Carolinians tend to be a bit more full of themselves.

Anyway, if I had to choose I'd say SC, but I could be talked out of it.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
True. But then, NC has the outer banks and Beaufort.
As a native SC'er, I know nothing about NC's Beaufort. Usually when you say "Beaufort" around these parts, you automatically think about SC's Beaufort which is down near Hilton Head.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 AM

5,970 posts, read 12,083,299 times
I lived in both, NC for a shorter period of time. I live in SC now. I still prefer SC. When I worked in Charlotte, the people I worked with constantly made fun of SC. My children then went to CMS schools. I thought my co-workers and my children's classmates were very materialistic. I also did not feel a whole lot of community spirit up there, both in the neighborhood and at work.

I live and work in SC, and my children go to the highest achieving school district in the state, and from some people's accounts, a better school district than some of NC's. Although most of the people I work with in SC are lower income people and live from paycheck to paycheck, they continue to be active in the company's annual fundraiser for the needy of the community. They are simple folk with very generous hearts.

My children's friends, although transplants like their counterparts in NC, somehow appear to be more low-key, more respectful and less rowdy, less inclined to ostentatious display of wealth, despite the last names they have indicative of old SC money.

SC may not be as "progressive" as NC, not as polictically correct as NC, but given a choice, I would continue to live here and visit beautiful NC at every occasion I get.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
When I worked in Charlotte, the people I worked with constantly made fun of SC.
I get that a lot as well, but it's mainly from people who know very little about the state outside of Myrtle Beach. For those who are knowledgeable about other parts of the state, this is very uncommon. For instance, look (http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/jenkins/2006/story/485875.html - broken link) at how a Raleighite's personal visit to downtown Greenville changed his perspective (after an admission of making fun of SC).

Quote:
I live and work in SC, and my children go to the highest achieving school district in the state, and from some people's accounts, a better school district than some of NC's.
The latest figures I saw actually had more people moving from Mecklenburg County into York County than vice versa. I suspect that's primarily due better schools, particularly the Fort Mill/Clover districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City