U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 01:40 PM

68 posts, read 104,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
And LA is 490 square miles. Plus we have diverse geography.

Anytime someone compares LA to NYC, the NYCers always tout Manhattan.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. This makes no sense.

Obviously a comparison between LA and NYC should be city to city, not one city compared to one central business area.

Apples to apples comparisons, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 02:17 PM

20,241 posts, read 21,824,877 times
Quote:

I don't think that's true. I think there's a lot of Brooklyn being touted, too, and a fair bit of the Bronx, and then Queens. Staten Island the least of them all unless you a member of the Wu-Tang Clan (but really, we are all Wu-Tang (and you best protect ya neck)). I believe that while Manhattan is the most well known of all the boroughs, the rest of them are all fairly well known and have their own boosters.

New York definitely has diverse geography. While Los Angeles is mostly cut up by mountains and hills, New York is cut up by the many waterways with the Hudson and East River being the biggest ones that people interact with all day. And while Los Angeles does have its beach, it's not something that you traverse and take notice of for the most part unless you are specifically along the beach.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:26 PM

5,260 posts, read 12,583,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Year round lush vegetation? Are we talking about the same Los Angeles here? There's certainly some irrigated parcels here and there, but I don't think I'd describe this all as year round lush vegetation. I'm with you on the rest on parts of it, and the rest can be easily chalked up to personal preference.
You're right. What I was trying to say is, compared to NY in January LA's vegetation is pretty lush in comparison. Impatients, petunias, green grass, green hills, flowerin pots, hanging baskets, palms and so on. And yes it is definately about personel preference.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 PM

102 posts, read 117,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
you can find this in long island??
Is that supposed to be attractive?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:

... and in the reverse case, Los Angelenos always tout the Westside.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,816,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetmafia View Post
Is that supposed to be attractive?
It is attractive!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:04 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,259,464 times
Quote:
... and in the reverse case, Los Angelenos always tout the Westside.
Not at all. Hollywood is not Westside. Beverly Hills is not Westside. Studio City is not Westside. The South Bay is not Westside.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 PM

161 posts, read 130,957 times
why cant la people just accept that nyc will always be the superior city no matter what la does.....it is what it is

Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Not at all. Hollywood is not Westside. Beverly Hills is not Westside. Studio City is not Westside. The South Bay is not Westside.
Nobody cares about South Bay.

In any case, Williamsburg is not Manhattan. Park Slope is not Manhattan. DUMBO is not Manhattan. Brooklyn Heights is not Manhattan.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,259,464 times
Quote:
Nobody cares about South Bay.

In any case, Williamsburg is not Manhattan. Park Slope is not Manhattan. DUMBO is not Manhattan. Brooklyn Heights is not Manhattan.
Really? No one cares about the South Bay. They have some of the nicest beaches and beachside nightlife in the US.

What's so great about park slope or Prospect Park?? Nothing.

I've yet to see one LA poster tout the Westside. All the NYers do is tout Manhattan.

Stick to your overpriced shoe box apartments and homely women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or