Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I honestly dont see the connection...
if you've ever driven around the expressway in LA, it reminds me of New Jerse y and Long Island w/palm trees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 PM

149 posts, read 161,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
hahaha.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:25 PM

68 posts, read 123,183 times
Two greatest U.S. cities, without question!

One can't go wrong with either.

If I have to pick, I choose NYC, though. Arguably capital of the world.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 PM

161 posts, read 182,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonWI1 View Post
Two greatest U.S. cities, without question!

One can't go wrong with either.

If I have to pick, I choose NYC, though. Arguably capital of the world.
agreed. though i would say that la is the best mexican city.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 PM

152 posts, read 155,835 times
People saying NY no brainer are delusional.
LA on its own can hold its own to NYC.

NYC is very condensed, theres really only things to do in one area. Downtown.Thats where all the nice bars and restaurants and clubs are. But lets be honest. If you've lived in NY for more than 3 years, after you've hit the spots in Midtown to death. NYC gets boring, there's really no other place to hang out. Seeing the empire state building and times square, theres only so many times you can go there before it gets boring. Most of the spots in the other 4 boroughs are smaller, and not well kept.

The thing that gives NY the most negative points is obvious to anyone who lives in NY.
Cost of Living... The cost of living is the worse factor in NYC right. The amount of money you have to pay for a small box in manhattan, you can rent two beach houses on the beach in LA.
You have to pay 4000 bucks a month for a small box 1 bdrm APT in Soho, with no view... Come on. GTFO with that.
And the sad thing about NYC right now is just about every young adult whose out of college can't afford their own apt. They have to crash with 2 roommates in a small box, to pay 700 bucks a months just to survive.
And don't even get me started with the hikes in fares for the subway, and Tolls.

You can drive in LA forever and not pay any tollls. I use to live in Long Island, just to go to the Bronx which was about 15 minutes away I had to pay 6.50 each way to go over the bridge.. So I would have to pay 13 bucks everytime I wanted to visit my friend in another borough and thats not even including gas. GTFO

And also anybody whose lived in NYC can tell you, there is a attitude problem in NYC. Because are so condensed on each other, the only way you can really survive is you have an icebox for a heart.
LA its a more laid back and friendly atmosphere, you can basically talk to anyone on the beach. There's a more positive vibe.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post

NYC is very condensed, theres really only things to do in one area. Downtown.Thats where all the nice bars and restaurants and clubs are. But lets be honest. If you've lived in NY for more than 3 years, after you've hit the spots in Midtown to death. NYC gets boring, there's really no other place to hang out. Seeing the empire state building and times square, theres only so many times you can go there before it gets boring. Most of the spots in the other 4 boroughs are smaller, and not well kept.

The thing that gives NY the most negative points is obvious to anyone who lives in NY.
Cost of Living... The cost of living is the worse factor in NYC right. The amount of money you have to pay for a small box in manhattan, you can rent two beach houses on the beach in LA.
You have to pay 4000 bucks a month for a small box 1 bdrm APT in Soho, with no view... Come on. GTFO with that.
And the sad thing about NYC right now is just about every young adult whose out of college can't afford their own apt. They have to crash with 2 roommates in a small box, to pay 700 bucks a months just to survive.
And don't even get me started with the hikes in fares for the subway, and Tolls.

You can drive in LA forever and not pay any tollls. I use to live in Long Island, just to go to the Bronx which was about 15 minutes away I had to pay 6.50 each way to go over the bridge.. So I would have to pay 13 bucks everytime I wanted to visit my friend in another borough and thats not even including gas. GTFO

And also anybody whose lived in NYC can tell you, there is a attitude problem in NYC. Because are so condensed on each other, the only way you can really survive is you have an icebox for a heart.
LA its a more laid back and friendly atmosphere, you can basically talk to anyone on the beach. There's a more positive vibe.
You have never been to New York.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:09 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post

la cannot hold its own against nyc. you are delusional. la is a big city, it is important, but it's nowhere near nyc's level and that is a fact. new york is an alpha++ and los angeles is a beta+ according to 2010 gawc.

you just proved that you haven't ever been to ny with the bolded statement. after that, i didn't even bother reading the rest. there would probably be too much more to correct.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:10 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
Ah yes now I remember what GAWC is. Not impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
la cannot hold its own against nyc. you are delusional. la is a big city, it is important, but it's nowhere near nyc's level and that is a fact. new york is an alpha++ and los angeles is a beta+ according to 2010 gawc.

you just proved that you haven't ever been to ny with the bolded statement. after that, i didn't even bother reading the rest. there would probably be too much more to correct.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:37 PM

291 posts, read 688,599 times
New York would be my primary residence and Los Angeles would be my 2nd home. New York is way better but LA is a nice change of pace and a nice getaway for New Yorkers. Both are good but NYC wins all the way.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:59 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Ah yes now I remember what GAWC is. Not impressed.
not impressed by what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City