U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,446 times

Advertisements

With that being said I can also leave you with another FACT

News Headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,250,032 times
I smell a brain fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilplan89 View Post
Yeah, NYC is no joke from what I hear from people who have visited there. I have never been and would love to go one day. I am sure Manhattan is crazy like people say it is. That's the problem though, all I here there is to do is Manhattan itself. Los Angeles Area is insanely huge and endless. Attractions include Hollywood, West Hollywood, Hollywood Hills, Bel-Air, Century City Westwood, Beverly Hills, the Wilshire strip, Disney Land, California Adventures, Magic Mountain, Santa Monica Pier & The Promenade, Sunset blvd, Venice and Manhattan Beach,Malibu, SAN FERNANDO VALLEY, Studio City, Griffith Park, Burbank, Glendale, LONG BEACH, DOWNTOWN LA (LA LIVE), Pasadena(Colorado St), Calabasas, museums, beaches, canyons, lakes & rivers, mountains, gigantic freeways and junctions, breathless views, ports, culture, media, fashion entertainment and much more. NYC looks like one hell of a place to go because because I am fascinated with buildings and architecture. LA has amazing architecture as well. It's really a no brainer. CA has it all from city life to geographic and climate domination. I can't see how you could compare any city to THE ENTERTAINMENT AND MEDIA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,336,965 times
Funny, the things New Yorkers are bragging about are precisely the reasons why the place sucks now. GDP per capita? Lots of rich people? Sounds great, too bad they priced out all the working class folks--the people who truly make a city great. Now Manhattan is mostly a yuppie playground, a tourist trap. Over-gentrification at its worse. That 'anything can happen here' vibe that the borough had is long gone (for the most part).

Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM

224 posts, read 255,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Funny, the things New Yorkers are bragging about are precisely the reasons why the place sucks now. GDP per capita? Lots of rich people? Sounds great, too bad they priced out all the working class folks--the people who truly make a city great. Now Manhattan is mostly a yuppie playground, a tourist trap. Over-gentrification at its worse. That 'anything can happen here' vibe that the borough had is long gone (for the most part).
Well, fortunately for non-rich people...there are always the outer boroughs (which has some gorgeous neighborhoods, I did some exploring of NYC today).

The Bronx, believe it or not!

Everyone does not need to live in Manhattan for New York to be the amazing world class, most powerful, most awesome city there is.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM

14,007 posts, read 21,995,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Well, fortunately for non-rich people...there are always the outer boroughs (which has some gorgeous neighborhoods, I did some exploring of NYC today).

Everyone does not need to live in Manhattan for New York to be the amazing world class, most powerful, most awesome city there is.
Quite a nice photo of the part of the Bronx that the NYC-based media won't show us. NYC's media even does damage to it's own city I see.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Not impressed. Not even a little bit.

Your city's calling card is Manhattan, and it's sucks now. Ridiculously overpriced and Disney-fied.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,250,032 times
Lol, coming from the city that literally embodies Disney-fied everything. Disney IS from L.A., and you have erroneously confused one Disney-fied intersection in Manhattan (Times Square) with an entire city that is decidedly NOT Disney-esque. New York City also remains a place where you can get great bargains (Macy's, B&H Photo) and well as a place where even a Billionaire can spend their entire fortune.

Quote:

Your city's calling card is Manhattan, and it's sucks now. Ridiculously overpriced and Disney-fied.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:26 AM

224 posts, read 255,431 times
Quote:

LOL. And you really believe anyone gives a crap about anything outside of LA's calling card aka Beverly Hills and the Westside? The tiny parts of LA that anyone cares about are also "ridiculously overpriced". What exactly is your point?

By this criteria, LA sucks too.

Last edited by balmain; 10-10-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Lol, coming from the city that literally embodies Disney-fied everything. Disney IS from L.A., and you have erroneously confused one Disney-fied intersection in Manhattan (Times Square) with an entire city that is decidedly NOT Disney-esque. New York City also remains a place where you can get great bargains (Macy's, B&H Photo) and well as a place where even a Billionaire can spend their entire fortune.
I wasn't talking about just Times Square. I was talking about all of downtown, and the Upper West Side. Even Harlem is holding on for dear life, as the invasion of hipsters (soon to be followed by yuppies) begins. The place has become sterile and the working and middle class have been completely priced out. Lame.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
LOL. And you really believe anyone gives a crap about anything outside of LA's calling card aka Beverly Hills and the Westside? The tiny parts of LA that anyone cares about are also "ridiculously overpriced". What exactly is your point?

By this criteria, LA sucks too.
LOL, tiny area. The Westside, downtown to Santa Monica Beach is probably a good 100 square miles.

LA isn't cheap, but it's a bargain compared to New York. That's why gentrification has come slower and more organically. Some gentrification is good; too much and a neighborhood that used to have great character like the East Village turns into yuppieland.

(Btw don't you just love the double standards? If LA is compared to X city, LA's high COL is a negative; if it's compared to the few cities that are more expensive, being cheaper is a negative.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or