U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 PM

419 posts, read 795,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcJ1 View Post
New York City is better... is has the biggest population by any standard and biggest economy of any U.S. city. NYC is among the most powerful cities on the earth, if not the most powerful.
How does that make quality of living better? If anything it makes it worse imo

Ugly old buildings , a few unique sites to see, LA has everything and more than NYC easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 PM

93 posts, read 130,442 times
NY is no doubt is a great city, so much good did come out of it, unfortunately it has now become a symbol of all that is wrong with America
Wall Street corruption, world capital of corporate and banking greed, investment fraud, real estate speculation etc.
The NY financial sector is a nothing but a large siphon sucking up monies from hardworking americans across the nation.
how can you explain that a city that produces nothing has so much wealth? It is because most of the people and companies who rip off America and most of the world are based in NY
The only thing that keeps NY above water is the rotten financial sector who breeds in that city
And they the ones build their pretty skyscrapers there, new yorkers for the most part are just as innocent as the rest of the country
As far as I am concerned there is nothing much to admire from a place whose mere livelihood depends on making everybody else go broke..

Last edited by MeridianX; 07-23-2012 at 12:52 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 AM

3,917 posts, read 2,511,282 times
I love NYC's style of hip hop. And it's dense skyscraper setting. That what I envy for my city as an Angelino.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,369,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
How does that make quality of living better? If anything it makes it worse imo

Ugly old buildings , a few unique sites to see, LA has everything and more than NYC easily.
l.a doesnt have more then nyc. pretty sure thats a proven fact by now anyway.

secondly old buildings? clearly you havnt stepped foot in nyc, and you look at 1970 pictures of nyc all day long.

I work on 5th ave and 53rd street on the weekends, and if those buildings all over me are old then maybe futurama is a non-fictional cartoon.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
LA has Universal Studios, Disneyland, Magic Mountain and fun stuff to do at beaches like Venice and Santa Monica Pier. NY is only for dad's business trip, and it ain't Disneyland for kids. Your dad would say it's not for you. NY is for wise guys and all the troublemakers. Yeah, there are adult things like Broadway, Central Park, sport teams, some cool neighborhoods like Soho, Chelsea and the Villages, art shows and few other things like Coney Island, but it can get old very fast. Kids wouldn't like doing them as much as going to LA for fun attractions. NY has less than desirable weather, fewer good looking women who cares about her appearances, and noticeable lack of natural scenery. NY can be a contained(small urban boundary-7 miles by 12 miles) urban jungle. LA is a lot more real estate of fun and excitement(40 miles by 50 miles). LA is also, in part, vertical like Manhattan and in part, sprawling. LA rules and provides. Guess who hosted the Olympics twice?! LA. NY-none.
boring the more i hear l.a people talk the more i meet l.a ntives in new york city.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 PM

Alot of these L.a folks to use weather as defense for their city but what they dont know is that their weather is actually boring to alot of people in this country. I meet people from l.a or southern California all the time who say theyd prefer 4 seasons because it makes the city more appealing and less boring.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 PM

11,795 posts, read 9,718,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
l.a doesnt have more then nyc. pretty sure thats a proven fact by now anyway.

secondly old buildings? clearly you havnt stepped foot in nyc, and you look at 1970 pictures of nyc all day long.

I work on 5th ave and 53rd street on the weekends, and if those buildings all over me are old then maybe futurama is a non-fictional cartoon.
What's wrong with older buildings? New York's classic architecture is what makes it a great draw.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
What's wrong with older buildings? New York's classic architecture is what makes it a great draw.
i never said anything is wrong about old buildings. but the every building is old story is pretty much false as of 2012

Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 PM

Hollywood abandoned downtown, only movie to ever show it in a new light was 500 Days of Summer.

DOwntown is beautiful and it's had it's rough few decades, but now has been really cleaning up it's act.

Old art deco buildings of the 30's, spring street, and the very dense feel. I love that part of L.A., to me that's the real L.A.

Even places like Hollywood(not the hills).

The rest of L.A. is just greed. I never been to NYC, but I been to Chicago, and ever since then I've been fascinated with the forgotten core of my home town of Los Angeles. What could it have been? What can it be?

It feels like NYC. I really would like to live there. I know there's homeless but I'm not all paranoid about it. It's what you expect in every city.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:00 AM

For all New Yorkers though, here's some surprises:

Not everyone lives by the beach

Most natives dont care about the hollywood industry

Most of us work hard and hustle like you guys

We hate uppity types and wish they stay in the hills

It's not all suburbia, and even our suburbs feel urban.

We all want to see Paris Hilton strapped to a rocket and sent to the sun.

Same with most other movie stars.

We are as real as any other city dweller, still gotta watch our backs, and still gotta be thick skinned.

The West side is the stereotypical uppity side that gives L.A. that bad image.

it's not all glamour, it's 90% grime, and it's 90% real.

People from different districts have different personalities. Go to beverly, of course you have uppity ass people.

We are just as diverse and have different neighborhood and you find various restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or