U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,129 posts, read 11,669,486 times
Reputation: 3418

Advertisements

I'm enjoying this (" it's your prerogative to be bored ') with (" GREAT ") weather just like (" it's my prerogative ") to be on the other hand bored stiff as a board with Bad Weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 AM
 
1,031 posts, read 1,027,794 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
For all New Yorkers though, here's some surprises:

Not everyone lives by the beach

Most natives dont care about the hollywood industry

Most of us work hard and hustle like you guys

We hate uppity types and wish they stay in the hills

It's not all suburbia, and even our suburbs feel urban.

We all want to see Paris Hilton strapped to a rocket and sent to the sun.

Same with most other movie stars.

We are as real as any other city dweller, still gotta watch our backs, and still gotta be thick skinned.

The West side is the stereotypical uppity side that gives L.A. that bad image.

it's not all glamour, it's 90% grime, and it's 90% real.

People from different districts have different personalities. Go to beverly, of course you have uppity ass people.

We are just as diverse and have different neighborhood and you find various restaurants.
Downtown LA is getting soooo rad. The westside minus Venice can go sink into the ocean for all I care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,832 posts, read 7,322,836 times
Reputation: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
For all New Yorkers though, here's some surprises:

Not everyone lives by the beach

Most natives dont care about the hollywood industry

Most of us work hard and hustle like you guys

We hate uppity types and wish they stay in the hills

It's not all suburbia, and even our suburbs feel urban.

We all want to see Paris Hilton strapped to a rocket and sent to the sun.

Same with most other movie stars.

We are as real as any other city dweller, still gotta watch our backs, and still gotta be thick skinned.

The West side is the stereotypical uppity side that gives L.A. that bad image.

it's not all glamour, it's 90% grime, and it's 90% real.

People from different districts have different personalities. Go to beverly, of course you have uppity ass people.

We are just as diverse and have different neighborhood and you find various restaurants.
Here's another surprise: You don't speak for all of us. So stop pretending that you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 AM
 
1,113 posts, read 1,302,028 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
How does that make quality of living better? If anything it makes it worse imo

Ugly old buildings , a few unique sites to see, LA has everything and more than NYC easily.
Er, I love Los Angeles, but you can't deny that LA is full of ugly buildings as well as nasty areas: both cities have theirs pros and cons - and both them are amazing - but overall NYC has more architectural masterpieces.
Claiming that NYC has few unique sites to see is a complete exaggeration: ten days aren't enough to see all the great sites/neighbourhoods/landmarks/parks in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
And "old" doesn't equal "ugly": to me it means "charming".
And if we compare DT LA with DT Manhattan, the second one wins easily: even though DT LA gentrification/renaissance in on the right track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 03:41 AM
 
3,883 posts, read 2,505,765 times
Reputation: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Here's another surprise: You don't speak for all of us. So stop pretending that you do.
I'm guess you like Paris Hilton..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 04:03 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,620 posts, read 12,789,119 times
Reputation: 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I'm guess you like Paris Hilton..
Paris Hilton can go to hell for all I care.

I like most of LA, Westside included. I mean, as a blanket term, the "Westside" incorporates a lot of different areas, with different vibes, different attitudes, different cultures... and all of them have plenty of cool stuff to offer.

Most of the people on the Westside work hard and have to hustle; some of them make more money than others doing it, but that's not really any different from any other place, is it? Drive around Palms, Culver City, Mar Vista, basically anywhere within a good six blocks in any direction of Venice Blvd, etc. and look at the medium-density apartment complexes that house working class families, many of whom are immigrants from Central America, South and Southeast Asia... are they "uppity" people who give LA a bad name?

Stereotyping the entire Westside as a place dominated by latte-drinking yuppies who drive Priuses filled with yoga mats discounts tens of thousands of people who are hardworking, blue-collared folks who enjoy living in the western half of LA and have made it their home. Maybe you should get out there sometime...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 AM
 
Location: where u wish u lived
897 posts, read 889,800 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Paris Hilton can go to hell for all I care.

I like most of LA, Westside included. I mean, as a blanket term, the "Westside" incorporates a lot of different areas, with different vibes, different attitudes, different cultures... and all of them have plenty of cool stuff to offer.

Most of the people on the Westside work hard and have to hustle; some of them make more money than others doing it, but that's not really any different from any other place, is it? Drive around Palms, Culver City, Mar Vista, basically anywhere within a good six blocks in any direction of Venice Blvd, etc. and look at the medium-density apartment complexes that house working class families, many of whom are immigrants from Central America, South and Southeast Asia... are they "uppity" people who give LA a bad name?

Stereotyping the entire Westside as a place dominated by latte-drinking yuppies who drive Priuses filled with yoga mats discounts tens of thousands of people who are hardworking, blue-collared folks who enjoy living in the western half of LA and have made it their home. Maybe you should get out there sometime...
Don't bother with him he has a strange obsession of trying to make LA more like Chicago, I really think the guy should go back if he loves Chicago so much, the truth is LA isn't for everyone and if he likes Chicago more than so be it nothing wrong with that but take LA for what it is, no need to complain constantly on how LA should be more like Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM
 
3,883 posts, read 2,505,765 times
Reputation: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Don't bother with him he has a strange obsession of trying to make LA more like Chicago, I really think the guy should go back if he loves Chicago so much, the truth is LA isn't for everyone and if he likes Chicago more than so be it nothing wrong with that but take LA for what it is, no need to complain constantly on how LA should be more like Chicago
Actually, I dont want L.A. to be like any other city. No matter how many sky scrapers l.a. has, it will still be L.A.

I just see L.A. as lacking necessities. I love L.A., thats why I remain and hope to see it improve rather than leave.
L.A. needs it's transit system that once rivaled NYC to come back. Rid the city of strip malls, fill in empty lots, and encourage more walkability.

Basides that, that post was no comparison to any other city. Just blowing off some misconceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Here's another surprise: You don't speak for all of us. So stop pretending that you do.
Maybe, but what he has there is more or less on the nose save for a bit of hyperbole with the percentages, too big of a generalization of the Westside and the possibility of different preferences when it comes to Paris Hilton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,832 posts, read 7,322,836 times
Reputation: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe, but what he has there is more or less on the nose save for a bit of hyperbole with the percentages, too big of a generalization of the Westside and the possibility of different preferences when it comes to Paris Hilton.
Some of it was spot on, but the Westside hate he thinks everyone feels is way overblown. Nobody I know resents Hollywood or the sun-kissed beach lifestyle--it's part of L.A. lore. I love the beach personally, and all the old relics of Hollywood's past. 90% grime? he's only perpetuating the other L.A. myth--that it's a big third world ghetto full of crime and trash.

The biggest misconception about L.A. is that it can easily be pigeonholed using one or two stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top