Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Third-World City of America
East St. Louis, Illinois 53 24.20%
Camden, New Jersey 36 16.44%
Gary, Indiana 56 25.57%
Detroit, Michigan 51 23.29%
Prichard, Alabama 10 4.57%
Harveyville, Illinois 3 1.37%
Strongsville, Ohio 1 0.46%
Bessemer, Alabama 9 4.11%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:46 AM

720 posts, read 2,658,501 times

Advertisements

Roma, Texas.
Actually, most of the western part of the RGV (Starr County).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:55 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,389,751 times
Detroit, Michigan.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:40 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
El Paso. Replete with latin American style shanty towns, poverty, sand and dust. Possibly the crappiest place in America.

Although I haven't been there, from what I've heard Brownsville TX is almost as bad.
Yeah and the crappiest DEPRESSING place in America is seattle. If i ever want to kill myself that's where it will be as you go for months without seeing the sun . There's more sunshine in Siberia than in seattle.

Absolutley depressing with thick clouds and overcast and rain and drizzle for weeks upon weeks

Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 AM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm not doubting that. But to me, a Third World city is more than just poverty. Third World cities also have some fabulous wealth controlled by a small minority. Jackson MS is like that. East Saint Louis might be, too, but in the few times I've been there I never saw any nice areas.
I agree with your definition. And by that definition, Los Angeles fits the bill.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 AM

248 posts, read 624,544 times
i vote el paso i live here, i cant wait to get out.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:57 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,878,685 times
I don't know if I would classify El Paso as third World. I will agree it has many problems, more negatives than positives, but it is anything but third world.

There are places in L.A. that would fit the bill for Third World far more than anything on the list.

The pictures posted are depressing, to see them old buildings, and all that history just fall apart breaks my heart. Wish there was a way to save buildings like that.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:11 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,333,998 times
I was born in the 60's in Gary Indiana.
That city was one of the best places to live in the US
You would walk downtown and the sidewalks would be full of people and the businesses prospering. Varioius ethnic groups came over for the great paying jobs.
The steel mills were at their height.
Then the mayoral vote was split and an african american mayor was elected in the late 60's. This brought bus loads of blacks from the south and an almost instant white flight to Merrillville and other suburbs. Crime skyrocketed and the city has never been the same or will it ever be IMO.
Some parts of Gary I would be afraid to drive through even in the daytime. It is one big *hithhole. It just looks bombed out! The only hope can be its airport which has been proposed as a 3rd major airport for the Chicagoland area. Otherwise at one point the land might become somewhat valuable because of its proximity to Chicago and miles of runned down buildings would have to be razed and a new city would have to be started from scratch. The chance of all that? Not likely......

More on Gary here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...eally-bad.html

Last edited by WildWestDude; 07-20-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,179,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Yeah and the crappiest DEPRESSING place in America is seattle. If i ever want to kill myself that's where it will be as you go for months without seeing the sun . There's more sunshine in Siberia than in seattle.

Absolutley depressing with thick clouds and overcast and rain and drizzle for weeks upon weeks
I totally don't get whats so appealing about Seattle to young people today. I guess its the far left politics.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:59 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,878,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I totally don't get whats so appealing about Seattle to young people today. I guess its the far left politics.
Somewhat legal drugs too. Churches have set up shops all along the region that allow these drug addicted kids to get clean needles for free. Seattle is not all bad.. but I don't want to live there again. I had a nice house in East Lake over looking Queen Anne hill. And I have to say the Bus system there is outstanding. I saw lots of poverty there too.. and lots of young people living on the streets near DICKS HAMBURGERS downtown. Lots of these same kids yelling DIE YUPPIE SCUM and throwing rocks at the cars as they drove by. People living on top of people.. over crowded to the max.. yeah I don't know if I could do that again. And to be honest I not that much of an open thinker to put up with many of the life style choices there.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:44 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,546,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Somewhat legal drugs too. Churches have set up shops all along the region that allow these drug addicted kids to get clean needles for free. Seattle is not all bad.. but I don't want to live there again. I had a nice house in East Lake over looking Queen Anne hill. And I have to say the Bus system there is outstanding. I saw lots of poverty there too.. and lots of young people living on the streets near DICKS HAMBURGERS downtown. Lots of these same kids yelling DIE YUPPIE SCUM and throwing rocks at the cars as they drove by. People living on top of people.. over crowded to the max.. yeah I don't know if I could do that again. And to be honest I not that much of an open thinker to put up with many of the life style choices there.

Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City