Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Say you have a job in Chicago paying $250K annually. Then you get a job offer in Los Angeles paying the same amount. All other benefits are equal. Would you relocate? Remember that LA costs roughly twice that in Chicago.
no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
If I got competing job offers in Chicago and L.A. with a higher salary offer in L.A. to accommodate the higher cost of living, I still wouldn't move to L.A. It will take a lot to dislodge me from Chicago. If I do ever leave here, it will be because local politics have pushed me out rather than because I was drawn to some other place. And it seems the local politicians are trying their damnedest to push people out...

Old 07-23-2008, 03:53 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
With a $250,000 salary, you be able live in Lincoln Park(which is one of the best neighborhoods in Chicago) but you wont be able to afford Gold Coast, Chicago

Lincoln Park and the Gold Coast are pretty much the same pricewise.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
The Gold Coast is more expensive than Lincoln Park and plus Gold Coast is the second wealthiest urban neighborhood and only the Upper Eastside, Manhattan is wealthier.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:54 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
With a $250,000 salary, you be able live in Lincoln Park(which is one of the best neighborhoods in Chicago) but you wont be able to afford Gold Coast, Chicago
Oh, fiddlesticks. You can afford Gold Coast on that amount. You probably couldn't afford one of those mansion-sized co-op apartments on East Lake Shore Drive, or one of those Astor Street brownstones, but you could afford something.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:06 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Say you have a job in Chicago paying $250K annually. Then you get a job offer in Los Angeles paying the same amount. All other benefits are equal. Would you relocate? Remember that LA costs roughly twice that in Chicago.
I think I might try LA if I had that kind of income. I visited LA for the first time a few years ago and to my surprise I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. The weather is a lot nicer (especially in the wintertime) and the people are more laid back, IMHO. Not that I don't like Chicago -- I do -- but upon returning from that trip, I noticed for the first time just how stodgy Chicago really is in comparison. It was like culture shock in reverse, and it took me a day or two to get reused to my home surroundings.

For me, the biggest disadvantage to living in LA would be having to drive, all the time, everywhere. I don't think I would like that.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
The Gold Coast is more expensive than Lincoln Park and plus Gold Coast is the second wealthiest urban neighborhood and only the Upper Eastside, Manhattan is wealthier.
Well, I actually lived in the Gold Coast for many years. It is a fabulous neighborhood, but that doesn't mean its more expensive than Lincoln Park. Do you have any facts to base your opinion on? You can find condos and sfh in both areas in roughly the same price range. I only wish that prices had been higher when I sold my place in the GC.

Are incomes higher in the GC? I have no facts, but would guess yes, because the ages skew higher there. But higher incomes don't necessarily translate to higher real estate values.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Oh, fiddlesticks. You can afford Gold Coast on that amount. You probably couldn't afford one of those mansion-sized co-op apartments on East Lake Shore Drive, or one of those Astor Street brownstones, but you could afford something.
Bingo, we have a winner!

I was looking recently with a friend, we found a beautiful 1 bedroom at 1200 LSD (Benjamin Marshall bldg) for $299k, a beautiful modern 2 bedroom unit on Dearborn for $340k and many other units in her price range (under $400), so yeah I think that anyone with $250k can afford the GC.

People who don't live in that neighborhood think its much more expensive than it is.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
And why not? Are you kidding?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
The Gold Coast isnt the second wealthiest urban neighborhood! Are you serious. Do some research before you post these statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City