Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Better?
Omaha, Nebraska : Come Eat Corn! 79 46.75%
Scranton, Pennsylvania : Sink Into The Mines! 90 53.25%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 AM

193 posts, read 656,556 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 12:00 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawJ View Post
great post, rep for that

Old 07-26-2008, 12:04 PM

193 posts, read 656,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
great post, rep for that
Well, I said something along the lines of, "I'd rather take entertainment than rowhomes." But then I read that he mentioned how Scranton has outdoor entertainment, which I can't argue with.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:46 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Alright, alright. Time to show off Omaha with some photos (in a desperate attempt to get some more votes! ).

Impressive photos of a nice city. As I said before, I could live in either city and be VERY happy.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
I voted for Omaha......Go huskers!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:57 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
After seeing the pics of Omaha I can honestly see the comparison between Scranton and Omaha.....

What a joke, Scranton looks like Omaha's landfill.....

Old 07-26-2008, 01:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Nice try but I'm not impressed. I Googled "Omaha rowhomes" and all I found were some pics of really ugly, unappealing new construction. Scranton has some beautiful classic architecture--yeah, Omaha has a few nice older neighborhoods as well but nowhere near as prolific as in east coast cities.

If you'd go to the Omaha thread, you'd find some better pictures. My DH grew up in Omaha in the 50s and 60s. He lived a pretty urban lifestyle, riding buses, shopping downtown, went to a high school that was the territorial capitol building, etc. He is a "city boy from Nebraska".
Oh, and Omaha is NOWHERE NEAR Chicago. Come on. What is it, an 8 hour drive? And the other cities you mentioned are barely worth a visit. Kansas City has a few things to offer, but let's see...living 3 hours from KC vs. living 2 hours from New York AND Philly?

The comparison of "hilly woods" and a few man-made lakes to real mountains, forest and the Atlantic ocean is laughable as well.

Scranton is sounding more and more appealing the more I think about it!
You might stop laughing if you actually saw the place.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:49 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Well, I said something along the lines of, "I'd rather take entertainment than rowhomes." But then I read that he mentioned how Scranton has outdoor entertainment, which I can't argue with.
i was just kidding

Old 07-26-2008, 03:12 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
I had to vote for Scranton, as that's where my mom is from and so I have many, many relatives there. Having been to both (Scranton more frequently, though) I'd say Omaha is definitely the bigger, more developed, city but the surroundings of Scranton are much nicer (mountains vs. prairie).

"The Office" being set in Scranton, though, is a way of making fun of Scranton. It's nice to see that it hasn't really had that effect, though.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:10 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I intentionally try to avoid capturing people in my images. Why, may you ask? Well one time I was photographing homes and didn't realize one of the owners was sitting on the front porch. I was met with a very unpleasant confrontation because apparently some people don't like the fact that others want to show off their homes' beauty for others on the Internet to enjoy. Now I just wait (and wait...and wait) until pedestrian traffic clears most of the time to snap my images.

well in residential areas, not only are pedestrians not nessescary in a photo, but it may be seen as invading private space. in public areas like downtown, you should try to get shots of people to make the place seem a bit more alive. For the record I don't dislike Scranton, just stating my issue with the pictures provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City