Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,115 times

Advertisements

Boston/Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 12:38 PM

39 posts, read 150,106 times
if we talk about major us cities then i would say that most europen are:

1.Boston
2.SF
3.NY
4.Philadelphia.

if we talk witch cities are not even close to europen look:

1.Phoenix
2.Houston
3.LA

That is the opinion of the man who live in europe all his life and has been in US many times

Old 04-10-2010, 01:29 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okramb1 View Post
if we talk about major us cities then i would say that most europen are:

1.Boston
2.SF
3.NY
4.Philadelphia.

if we talk witch cities are not even close to europen look:

1.Phoenix
2.Houston
3.LA

That is the opinion of the man who live in europe all his life and has been in US many times
If you are from Europe, it would be interesting to hear why you think the top 4 cities seem more European to you.

Also, some people consider the Los Angeles climate and architecture to be like Europe, at least the Mediterrean area. Why don't you?

Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times
One of the places I went in Poland was Warsaw. I went with my dad, so when i showed pictures to my husband, he said that some sections look really similar to Boston. I agree with him.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:01 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
When it comes to street life, NYC or Chicago.

Some other cities are fairly walkable too, Cleveland is ok, Royal Oak, MI is a suburb with a great downtown built to be walked, a few of the Chicago suburbs are very walkable. Downtown Miami, downtown Houston, downtown Minneapolis, downtown Seattle.

Also, one has to consider that not all countries in Europe are alike or even remotely close.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Here are my choices.

Large cities:
Boston, MA (Architecture, Activities, History, Lifestyle, Intellectual, Mass transit, Squares, Parks)
YouTube - Boston: Where Europe Meets America

San Francisco, CA (Med. Landscape, Streetcars, Outdoor Activities, Walk/Ride-ability, Lifestyle, Intellectual, Squares, Parks)
YouTube - Best of San Francisco

Smaller cities:
St. Augustine, FL
YouTube - Discovering America's Oldest City: St. Augustine, Florida

Annapolis, MD
Annapolis, Maryland

Last edited by Mach50; 04-10-2010 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM

72 posts, read 97,367 times
Quote:
Also, one has to consider that not all countries in Europe are alike or even remotely close.
Yes. I tried to point this fact out earlier. Europe is not a country, but a continent. What you see in Moscow, is not the same thing you will see in London. What you see in London, is not what you will see in Madrid.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:55 PM

118 posts, read 139,054 times
I think when people mean 'European' the term signifies more than architecture, density, integration of residential commercial entertainment areas, and good public transportation. It also means a way of life or attitude that is kind of hard to define but the closest description is that the 'European' way of life is more about living for the moment while the 'American' way of life is more about living for tomorrow. Having lived in both Europe and America here are my picks:

Similar feel to European cities:

New York, New York
Urban core of Chicago, Illinois
New Orleans, Louisiana
Savannah, Georgia
Charleston, South Carolina
Miami Beach, Florida
San Francisco, California
Urban core of Boston, Massachusetts
Urban core of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Urban core of Washington, DC
Baltimore, Maryland
east end of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
WestHo/Hollywood of Los Angeles, California
Urban core of Seattle, Washington
Core of San Juan, Puerto Rico

When I think of 'American' cities I think of either concrete high-rise jungles or suburban car-centric sprawl cities like Phoenix, Arizona. The latter are definitely not similar to Europe not only because of the lack of density but due to the compartmentalization of areas-people live here, work there, shop over there, and go clubbing somewhere else. This also leads to the insane child-proof, live to work instead of work to live lifestyle of the suburbs.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:28 PM

39 posts, read 150,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you are from Europe, it would be interesting to hear why you think the top 4 cities seem more European to you.

Also, some people consider the Los Angeles climate and architecture to be like Europe, at least the Mediterrean area. Why don't you?

we don't talk here about climate.LA-Europe?!That sprawl junk of city?Mediterrean???

if you want mediterrean than look at this:

barcelona,spain

rijeka,croatia

[IMG]http://www.seebiz.eu/UserFiles/Image/****vanja/trst3.jpg[/IMG]
trieste,italy

lisaboa,portugal

well....if you think that sunshine and couple of palm trees makes a city meditteran than you are wrong

LA,USA

i mean.....c'mon what is this???

Old 04-11-2010, 02:57 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Of the cities in Europe that remind me most of LA, Im going with Rome.

The climate is similar and both have Mediteranian styling (especailly in the Manhattan and Hermosa Beach areas).

But overall, Boston and San Francisco would be number one and number two on the list. After that Philly, Miami, and DC. I dont find NYC or Chicago to be European at all. There isnt any city in Europe that has that much build up in its core (in terms of skyscrapers).

The major cities in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta, most resemble Frankfurt and the other German cities (sans Berlin). German cities tend to sprawl more and are located in mildly forrested areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City