Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

@BPerone

Why would you say Boston seems more like Dublin than an English city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
@BPerone

Why would you say Boston seems more like Dublin than an English city?
I assume he said that because of the huge Irish population in Boston. I completely disagree however. Boston definitely looks more English than Irish (as far as architecture and layout are concerned). Then again, it's not like England and Ireland don't have their similarities (I know some people who wouldn't want to hear that, but c'mon)

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Europe is not one block of countries that are all alike.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Europe is not one block of countries that are all alike.
And that's why this thread has gone 36 pages

Old 03-03-2011, 12:50 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,269 times
How many of you have ever been to europe?
Because a good exemple is montreal, many people portray it like very european.. when i came there, appart of some old building, the city has nothing european...

Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
I've never been to Pittsburgh but I imagine that to be similar to a few northern English cities like Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle etc. My impression of it is a proud working-class post-industrial 19th-century city, quite tough in places but not proper ghetto-like, sport-obsessed, not all that diverse/cosmopolitan, not particularly good weather, the collapse of heavy industry led to a decline in the 80s/90s but has been quite successfully regenerated in recent years...if Pittsburgh is actually like that then there are a lot of similarities with the English cities above, as well as somewhere like Leipzig.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM

466 posts, read 1,062,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Well, I would say Portland's brand of liberalism is characteristically American. People have a cliched vision of Europe as some sort of "Berkeley accross the Atlantic". Europe is a very vast continent and Europeans, if there's such a thing, can be very conservative, even outrageously so to the eyes of the average American hipster. And some things about Europe people find liberal because they are fashionable in America are actually conservative, in the sense that they stayed unchanged while they disappeared in America. For instance, European cities are not dense because Europeans are liberal, they are dense because they remained unchanged while Americans where busy embracing "progress". Similarly I've seen people on this forum name farmer's markets as one of the markers of a progressive city. European cities are full of farmer's markets, but that's not a sign of liberalism, it's a sign of resistance to change, which in some cases can be positive.

Sorry about drifting off-topic.
Wow, where do you get this from? Europe isn't "uniform" like the US. If you would visit Italy and then go to Scandinavia you would see the difference in architecture, way of life etc. For instance Italy is very catholic, right, everybody knows that and Scandinavia isn't very religious at all, I have never met so many atheists there. Germany - where I come from - is in lots of parts very conservative, especially in the south and in the rural parts, very much like the US, only much smaller. Than take architecture and than you have a diversity you can't even imagine as an American. Most buildings are build with bricks or stones, but in the Scandinavian countries you see more wooden build houses like in the US.
In general you can't understand the diversity of Europe if you never have been to at least to the northern countries, the east European countries and the south of Europe.
So what cities and states are having a lot of work for bricklayers? That's where you have a more European architecture.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat4eva View Post
I guess you must be from the southern us and dont know Europe that well. To say that EU has 2nd world stanfard of living is ike saying all Americans are rednecks. I am from EU and been all over Europe and America. All I can say that even though cities such as Boston and NY have small European like neighbourhoods, they are still very american. I aso want to add that unlike US European cities do not have so Many Ghettos. Apart grom London and Paris. And thats only because these are 2 largest cities in the countries as colonial history. As for the EU economic centres - what happened to Paris, Berlin, hamburg and amsterdam? As for the cars - they might not be detroit tanks, but they areSAFER then any us car! And finally we commute because it is cheaper, tkes less time and because we care about environment.
Well spoken.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
People that say Portland, Seattle, or any west coast city resemble European cities have a)never been to Europe or b)never ventured outside of the downtown areas of these cities
Yeah, I am from Europe (Germany) and I lived in Portland, and there is nothing European about it, but a few brick stone houses though. And I have been to Seattle and there isn't any European feel to it either.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
So what cities and states are having a lot of work for bricklayers? That's where you have a more European architecture.
Visit the east coast cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City