Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 03:05 PM

45 posts, read 74,885 times

Advertisements

D.C. is easily the most European style city. It was modeled after European cities and Paris was its muse.

Boston is similar in that it has history and it was not planned in any sort of way, but other than that, it lacks the culture and art the European cities bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM

45 posts, read 74,885 times
Anyone saying these midsized midwest cities have never been to the great European cities. LOL. Yes, St. Paul is SOOO much like Paris. And Kansas? Really? Come on people.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:57 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywithacold View Post
Anyone saying these midsized midwest cities have never been to the great European cities. LOL. Yes, St. Paul is SOOO much like Paris. And Kansas? Really? Come on people.
Ya know France and Britain are not the only countries in Europe, St Paul is closer to Central Europe( Germany, Austria)
and other cities are European like
Providence, Rhode Island
http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.823605...5.75,,0,-16.31

New Bedford, Massachusetts
http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.634506...2.91,,0,-22.02

Last edited by btownboss4; 01-31-2012 at 04:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,528,950 times
Quote:
D.C. is easily the most European style city. It was modeled after European cities and Paris was its muse.
I don't know that I would say "easily." DC certainly has its European inspirations, and its grand boulevards, circles and squares are meant to evoke Paris and similar western European cities. And a few areas do a reasonable impression.

But there are other American cities that do as well. I mentioned Boston's North End neighborhood and San Fran's waterfront as a couple of examples. Parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn have a bit of western European feel to them; ditto Center City Philadelphia.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM

192 posts, read 448,726 times
I didn't say Saint Paul was like Paris, I said the way the Cathedral sits over the city is very reminiscent of European cities with height restrictions and said Saint Paul is a river city like Paris or London. There is more to Europe than Paris or London!! Saint Paul is very much like smaller sized European cities in Scandinavia. Paris, NYC London Tokyo all in a league of their own IMO just due to their size.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 10,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Everytime we have this poll we always come up with these cities:

Boston
New York
D.C.
New Orleans
Charleston
San Francisco
Santa Fe
Portand

But the thing is, ALL THESE CITIES are quintessential American.

I worked in Boston for 20 years and lived in Quincy. I also visited New Orleans. I wouldn't compare either with European cities. However, Boston is a great town especially for the young (up to 28 years old). The stylish part of the town is a small area. The rest is suburban sprawl. After business hours, only tourists and university students you find in Boston.
If you plan to move to Boston, you will have excellent culture centers such as theatres, museums, parks, shops and my favors the cafes.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,035,830 times
San Antonio has a lot of very European architecture IMO, lots of Spanish and German influence

Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,881 times
I have lived in Portland a long time and have traveled quite a bit, including Europe. It would be difficult to say any American city is European-like in the sense of architecture, history etc. because of the time differential. However in the sense of European "feel" Portland is probably stronger in European character than most American cities. A lot of this has to do with the downtown block layout which is very small in scale. Also Portland has preserved much of it architecture from the past, giving it a sense of "time", compared to say Phoenix. Portland was also an early leader on mass transit development like light rail and streetcars, which reflect an European attitude....most American cities continue to focus on the automobile and the urban sprawl it encourages. This will not be sustainable...

Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,257 times
Quote:

Boston is similar in that it has history and it was not planned in any sort of way, but other than that, it lacks the culture and art the European cities bring.
How does Boston lack art and culture?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM

239 posts, read 506,975 times
This is a hard question. Honestly I don't feel like there is any city in the US that is completely European like. But if we were asking "which city in North America is most European" the winner would clearly be Montreal or Quebec City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City