Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee v. San Jose
Milwaukee 77 51.68%
San Jose 72 48.32%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Dying Midwestern City? You wait, what happens when the Colorado River runs out? What region has some of the most wealthiest groundwater tables available? The Great Lakes. I'd hate to be in Phoenix or the Desert Southwest period because of the unbearable heat and water situation. Yikes! Let's keep this forum sane, OK? Ok!
Like I said, Josh, ignore him. He thinks PHX is some paradise, but shreds a good ol city like Milwaukee, just because its cold and "dying". People with those viewpoints come across to me as weak and shallow and w/o taste when it comes to architecture, diversity, cuisine, etc, thats why they move to all-white places like PHX that are just giant, cookie-cutter look-alikes. Then they shred cities like MKW that are struggling, just because it took their dump cities 100 years to FINALLY catch up with the rest of the world, and that somehow makes them feel "special" that they finally have a sports stadium, or a new mall, or a few new buildings going up in their weak downtowns. You know, the stuff here that has existed in good ol cities for a loooooong time. Let em think theyre special. Let em shred places like MKW, we all know what city is more unique and has a lot more character. But I guess MKW "sucks" because it doesnt have palm trees or sun shining 300 days a year, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 AM

990 posts, read 3,186,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Like I said, Josh, ignore him. He thinks PHX is some paradise, but shreds a good ol city like Milwaukee, just because its cold and "dying". People with those viewpoints come across to me as weak and shallow and w/o taste when it comes to architecture, diversity, cuisine, etc, thats why they move to all-white places like PHX that are just giant, cookie-cutter look-alikes. Then they shred cities like MKW that are struggling, just because it took their dump cities 100 years to FINALLY catch up with the rest of the world, and that somehow makes them feel "special" that they finally have a sports stadium, or a new mall, or a few new buildings going up in their weak downtowns. You know, the stuff here that has existed in good ol cities for a loooooong time. Let em think theyre special. Let em shred places like MKW, we all know what city is more unique and has a lot more character. But I guess MKW "sucks" because it doesnt have palm trees or sun shining 300 days a year, right?
Last I checked Milwaukee, is one again rising in Population. In fact there is still undeveloped land within the city. So for some of these people to claim it's dying is rather silly.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Last I checked Milwaukee, is one again rising in Population. In fact there is still undeveloped land within the city. So for some of these people to claim it's dying is rather silly.
New museums, gentrified neighborhoods (that are GASP! walkable), new highways (that look incredible), riverwalks, lakefront, shopping, etc.... As many problems as MKW has, its still a far wiser choice to live there than PHX or SJ, your dollar goes further, and its more practical. I guess its just not "cool" because there arent imported palm trees, new tacky strip malls on every corner, and ungodly hot summers with mild winters. How awful, huh?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 AM

990 posts, read 3,186,636 times
Quote:
New museums, gentrified neighborhoods (that are GASP! walkable), new highways (that look incredible), riverwalks, lakefront, shopping, etc.... As many problems as MKW has, its still a far wiser choice to live there than PHX or SJ, your dollar goes further, and its more practical. I guess its just not "cool" because there arent imported palm trees, new tacky strip malls on every corner, and ungodly hot summers with mild winters. How awful, huh?
This is so true, heck I might even be moving there in a few years. There is no way I could afford living in SJ. Don't worry i'm sure the used car dealership has a palm tree.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:01 AM

145 posts, read 508,960 times
see thats the thing, your basically taking what you deem to be "livable" and "ideal" , and whatever doesn't meet your criteria is considered bad.

300 + days of sunshine for example....ALOT of people move to California just for the great weather, yet you brush it off like its not an attribute simply because you like "4 seasons"'

SJ is expensive , but then again its all relative. In general most people that live here are very educated and do have well paying jobs. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean everyone in the city of almost a million can't.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfk View Post
see thats the thing, your basically taking what you deem to be "livable" and "ideal" , and whatever doesn't meet your criteria is considered bad.

300 + days of sunshine for example....ALOT of people move to California just for the great weather, yet you brush it off like its not an attribute simply because you like "4 seasons"'

SJ is expensive , but then again its all relative. In general most people that live here are very educated and do have well paying jobs. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean everyone in the city of almost a million can't.
Its great that people want to live there based on weather, but Ill laugh all the way to the bank. My SIL holds 2 jobs just so she can SHARE a tiny 2BR apt in CA. Is it worth it just to have warm weather? Pfft. Never in a million years. And speaking of weather, Needles, CA has lots of sun. Would I move there? HELL NO!

Weather is an added bonus (if you like a never changing natural environment like San Diego), but should never be the focus of one's entire reason to move. Thats beyond shallow, especially when these people work themselves to death just to own a small, ridiculously overpriced home in CA. No wonder so many of you are leaving CA, I would too.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
weather aside, San Jose just has a higher quality of life and is a better place to live. Just look at the crime stats, education attainment levels, and poverty rates of the two cities. Higher incomes, better paying jobs, better economy as well. That alone is reason enough to choose SJ over Milwaukee. I don't get how Milwaukee is a "wiser" choice when the only advantage it seems to offer is cheaper housing but all quality of life factors show SJ is better choice.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't get how Milwaukee is a "wiser" choice when the only advantage it seems to offer is cheaper housing but all quality of life factors show SJ is better choice.
Cheaper housing makes all the difference IMO. Add to that walkable neighborhoods, a better downtown, better public transporation, the lake, etc, etc. MKW has many wonderful spots, and just like every other large city, some bad spots, too.

I wonder how Madison would do against San Jose. Hmmmm

Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Cheaper housing makes all the difference IMO. Add to that walkable neighborhoods, a better downtown, better public transporation, the lake, etc, etc. MKW has many wonderful spots, and just like every other large city, some bad spots, too.

I wonder how Madison would do against San Jose. Hmmmm
If you want quantity over quality the yeah I guess cheaper housing is an important factor for some. SJ does have walkable neighborhoods, just not everywhere.

Better public transportation though?? SJ has 2 commuter rail lines and a light rail system in addition to its bus system while Milwaukee has just buses. Plus BART will more than likely extend to SJ in the future.

Madison would probably lose to SJ like Milwaukee is right now.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Quote:
Its great that people want to live there based on weather, but Ill laugh all the way to the bank. My SIL holds 2 jobs just so she can SHARE a tiny 2BR apt in CA. Is it worth it just to have warm weather? Pfft. Never in a million years. And speaking of weather, Needles, CA has lots of sun. Would I move there? HELL NO!

Weather is an added bonus (if you like a never changing natural environment like San Diego), but should never be the focus of one's entire reason to move. Thats beyond shallow, especially when these people work themselves to death just to own a small, ridiculously overpriced home in CA. No wonder so many of you are leaving CA, I would too.
One can't underestimate how weather effects the individual. There's such a thing as seasonal depression syndrome that makes people hate the winter & get all bummed. That is one big reason the Sun Belt is so popular.

Also, California has more climates than any state in the union due to the mountains\ Pacific Ocean. Needles is in the desert [just like Las Vegas & Phoenix] so, of-course, it has extreme heat in summer. Milwaukee borders Lake Michigan & depending on the wind direction can be buried in snow [most people would chose the "sun-belt" over the "snow-belt"]. Winter, on the other hand, is delightful in Phoenix. After years of shoveling snow some people decide they've had enough & move to a warmer climate. How many people move to or vacation in Phoenix from Milwaukee compared to the other? You know nobody moves up to the cold country to retire.

Also, it is quite clear that there are posters who hate the West & find every opportunity to trash-talk with outright distortions. Nobody in California puts down other American cities [we don't even think about Milwaukee or even Chicago] but some of you guys from the Midwest\ Texas knowingly lie about the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City