Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 AM

9 posts, read 20,593 times

Advertisements

We are 30-something newlyweds wanting to move to the east or midwest from Aspen. Looking for a walkable/bikeable, eco-conscious, progressive community with opportunities for creative professionals. Anyone find some better than the others? Asheville. Madison. Baltimore. Providence. Minneapolis. Boston. Cape Cod. Annapolis. Bethesda. Portsmouth. Chapel Hill. Richmond. Burlington. Portland, ME. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 12:40 AM

6 posts, read 16,578 times
I live on the East Coast and find both Portland, ME and Burlington, VT to be great cities. They both have great down to earth people and New England charm. Both are pretty liberal and eco-conscious. Great dining, brewpubs, etc. in both places. Portland is of course close to the ocean, while Burlington is on Lake Champlain. I would certainly recommend both of these places over Portsmouth, NH.

And they are both very different from the much larger and more urban Boston, and the summer playground of Cape Cod.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 PM

321 posts, read 720,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffer View Post
I live on the East Coast and find both Portland, ME and Burlington, VT to be great cities. They both have great down to earth people and New England charm. Both are pretty liberal and eco-conscious. Great dining, brewpubs, etc. in both places. Portland is of course close to the ocean, while Burlington is on Lake Champlain. I would certainly recommend both of these places over Portsmouth, NH.

And they are both very different from the much larger and more urban Boston, and the summer playground of Cape Cod.
I dont know about that. While Portmouth is smaller than Portland, it's not far at all from Boston (a little over 45 minutes, though double that with traffic) , Lowell, Nashua, Manchester, etc.

Portsmouth is really cool, as is Portland.

As far as cape cod goes, Im sure if they want that beach kinda feel they would be way better off in Portsmouth where at least there's other (cultural) stuff happening.

Burlington is cool, it's just really, really isolated. I mean, it's really in the sticks. Outside to micropolitan area, heres nothing for miles, like not even any exits for what seems like 30 miles at a time. It's definately a college town. Its cool and all, it just doesnt boast the options of those other places.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM

321 posts, read 720,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therudolfs View Post
We are 30-something newlyweds wanting to move to the east or midwest from Aspen. Looking for a walkable/bikeable, eco-conscious, progressive community with opportunities for creative professionals. Anyone find some better than the others? Asheville. Madison. Baltimore. Providence. Minneapolis. Boston. Cape Cod. Annapolis. Bethesda. Portsmouth. Chapel Hill. Richmond. Burlington. Portland, ME. Thanks!

The places you list are really worlds apart from eachother. You should probably narrow your focus a bit, decide on at least one region or one size of city for comparison between choices.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:14 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
My top choices would be Asheville, Baltimore, Annapolis, Bethesda, Chapel Hill, and Richmond. But I agree with the poster above me that said you should narrow your focus.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Ithaca NY, Ann Arbor MI and parts of Columbus OH.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:30 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times
Baltimore and Richmond have the highest crime rates of those you named. Housing in Bethesda is unaffordable to all but the wealthy - try nearby Takoma Park, MD as an alternative (read about this town on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) . Also consider Charlottesville, VA - or try (very artsy bohemian town) Shepherdstown, WV.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:47 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Housing in Bethesda is unaffordable to all but the wealthy
Bethesda wouldnt seem extraordinarily expensive for someone who is coming from Aspen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City