U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,212,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
you can't really live in Dahchestah and not know the answer
I actually had to google it!
It's always just been that damned Yankee logo to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,801,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I actually had to google it!
It's always just been that damned Yankee logo to me.
LOL, I've never heard put that way. Funny.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 AM

371 posts, read 990,459 times
Quote:
Geez Joe, why don't you tell us how you really feel.

NYC is borderline third world nation. Anywhere outside of (White) Manhattan and chances are you will be one of very few caucasians. That is not diversity.
Do you even Know What You are talking about Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,753,491 times
Quote:

NYC is borderline third world nation. Anywhere outside of (White) Manhattan and chances are you will be one of very few caucasians. That is not diversity.

uhh, what?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 AM

30 posts, read 94,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYanxfan View Post
I beg to differ, Boston is not very diverse at all. It is a cold and very segregated place. There are very few non-whites in the nicer areas of Boston... they seem to be looked down upon more in Boston than any other northeast corridor city. In Boston, it is very difficult to "break in" to a particular social group. Everyone is very uptight, rude, and defensive. The parochial atmosphere of Boston is not one which I think is too desirable for any young professional. Boston's motto may as well be my way or the highway. I agree that downtown Boston is in the best shape. However, the cruddy areas are just as bad if not worse than other cities due to high racial tension. Do not disagree with Bostonians, they'll make you pay by ensuring you will never be included in any social event again--bottom line: tough city to be a n00b. Many white Bostonians tend to be very racist. What I am about to say, I am saying in complete honesty; one time I asked a man I knew from eastern Mass why he hated New York, he replied "[New York] sucks, it's full of spics and monkey-faced blacks." He wasn't drunk. He was a sober Bostonian being himself.

IMO, you should head to New York, it has much less crime than DC, is MUCH friendlier than Boston. You make friends very easily there and the weather is mild/mid-atlantic, like eastern PA, New Jersey, and southern CT. DC's climate is decidedly more southern (I heard they have palm trees at the Smithsonian?).
I don't think its fair to categorize the whole Boston population as racist because of the experience you had with one person from MA. I have lived in Boston for about a year now, and have experienced nothing you have described. Whomever I ever asked directions to were very pleasant and eager to help, and now that I have been here and learned my way around I do the same.

I think it is just silly to base an opinion on the ideas of one ignorant person (an acquaintance of yours I might add) from MA who seems to be racist.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 AM

94 posts, read 117,553 times
^^^^
I have actually heard multiple people voice the same opinions about NY in regards to race.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Maybe inside one of the buildings. Still snows here, just not as much as NY or Boston.

We do have quite a few Magnolia trees, which I never see north of Baltimore.

Still, I'm hoping we get some more global warming.
We have a few evergreen southern Magnolias here as well. I am sure they have them in Baltimore.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You forgot to mention the mexicans. Tens of thousands of them all over the place.
Try going to a Seven/Eleven anywhere in the DC area at midmorning and you will have to wade through them to get a coffee.
Typical eastern New Englander... they aren't even mexicans... ughh.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Geez Joe, why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Manhattan is not even close to approaching the homogeneity of race that Boston has. Really, stop talking out of your a$$. From a mass-hole perspective, I suppose all the BLACK PEOPLE allowed to live freely in NY makes it a third world nation, as opposed to racist little white, Irish Boston (they beat up black people in the streets if they try to attend the same schools).

Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,155,014 times
Of the 2, DC has MUCH BETTER weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City