U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Washington, D.C. vs Quebec City
Washington, D.C. 43 52.44%
Quebec City 42 51.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,383 posts, read 15,036,042 times
Reputation: 1575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I think I agree with Billiam. I LOVE LOVE Quebec. It's such a cool place to visit, but for day to day life it's a bit too small for my taste. I'd prefer to live in Montreal

Visit? QC
Live? DC

Great pics, JMT!
Montreal vs. DC would be a great poll Though!! Id have to go with Montreal on that one! Montreal's almost too god to be true

oh yea, and i agree, great photos!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
 
2,344 posts, read 3,798,692 times
Reputation: 2191
QC.

DC is a run down ghetto.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 PM
 
11,603 posts, read 31,771,782 times
Reputation: 8203
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I think I agree with Billiam. I LOVE LOVE Quebec. It's such a cool place to visit, but for day to day life it's a bit too small for my taste. I'd prefer to live in Montreal

Visit? QC
Live? DC

Great pics, JMT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Montreal vs. DC would be a great poll Though!! Id have to go with Montreal on that one! Montreal's almost too god to be true

oh yea, and i agree, great photos!
I agree, Montreal vs. DC would be a better comparison. And again, even though I love DC it's hard to beat Montreal!

Looking at those pics of Quebec on Google Images just made me almost depressed! You guys who live up in the NE are within a fairly easy drive (or train ride) to Montreal and Quebec. If I lived that close to Montreal I'd be there all the frickin' time. Don't get me wrong, I really like our big American cities in the NE (I almost moved to Baltimore a couple of years ago). But Montreal is just incredible, and Quebec city is like being back in France except the people are friendly and they put ice in their drinks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,383 posts, read 15,036,042 times
Reputation: 1575
oh BTW he said post photos so ill go ahead for DC, well the touristy parts of it anyway - Here's the Rundown Ghetto I like to call DC

from NYCboy1212 at ssc

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/DCmontage.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/North_Façade_White_House.JPG (broken link)





from here -http://www.geocities.com/washingtondcgallery/







From flickr

National Cathedral on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://flickr.com/photos/13061921@N00/508297612/ - broken link)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
 
2,344 posts, read 3,798,692 times
Reputation: 2191
Yea, so you show some historical sites in some secure area of DC, now what about the rest of the city?

DC reminds me of Agra, the Taj Mahal is the clean area and the rest of the place is like a landfill.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,383 posts, read 15,036,042 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yea, so you show some historical sites in some secure area of DC, now what about the rest of the city?

DC reminds me of Agra, the Taj Mahal is the clean area and the rest of the place is like a landfill.
i said i would show the touristy sites. Now, Mr. Rude, i could just ignore your or you could stop insulting the city and being completely rude about it and let me show you it. your choice
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,105,411 times
Reputation: 1189
The Marion Berry Murder Capital image of D.C. is getting pretty outdated. SE is pretty bad, but I went there all the time throughout the 80s and 90s (grew up in Richmond) and it's not the decaying ghetto everyone seems to think it is. Baltimore is much worse (even though I love Baltimore too).


I'd still go with Montreal (if it was a choice) even though I haven't been there yet. Going in the spring, it's a 9.5 hour drive from where I live now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 10:25 PM
 
2,344 posts, read 3,798,692 times
Reputation: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
The Marion Berry Murder Capital image of D.C. is getting pretty outdated. SE is pretty bad, but I went there all the time throughout the 80s and 90s (grew up in Richmond) and it's not the decaying ghetto everyone seems to think it is. Baltimore is much worse (even though I love Baltimore too).


I'd still go with Montreal (if it was a choice) even though I haven't been there yet. Going in the spring, it's a 9.5 hour drive from where I live now.
Its not outdated, I did some time at Georgetown and had the whole DC experience, the stats still show DC as one of the worst cities in the US, crime wise.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,105,411 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Its not outdated, I did some time at Georgetown and had the whole DC experience, the stats still show DC as one of the worst cities in the US, crime wise.
That's why stats are so meaningless in the real world. The crime is mostly confined to a few relatively small areas. It certainly wasn't in Georgetown. I've been all over D.C., day and night. It's hardly one big ghetto.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Live in VA, Work in MD, Play in DC
694 posts, read 1,983,067 times
Reputation: 249
I seriously think that on these Citydata boards, Washington DC has the least amount of homer posters out of the large metros that rush to defend it when others bash the city.

If someone was bashing any other cities, this thread would be filled with people saying how great their city is.

When I see posts like k350's, I usually just go "meh" whatever.

I think it's nice, but what you think is your opinion.

In regards to the poll, Quebec city is nice to go as a tourist, but I don't think I could ever live there. So I agree with the others.

Quebec City to visit.
Washington DC to live.

Last edited by tenken627; 08-01-2008 at 11:49 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top