Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times

Advertisements

Oh Steve-o you are so dependable! I don't know who ever spit on your ice cream cone in Phoenix but maybe it is time to get over it? Realize that some people don't want and like the same things/ That does not make them shallow or geeks - just different.
Bostons has some great things going for it - I personally would not choose to ever live there again.
It's not like it's as gross as Chicago or anything.. (just kidding - Chicago is another great city ..to visit..for a weekend..and no more..)

Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,712 times
Default Phoenix vs. Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Boston is the clear victor here, not even a contest. The sun-worshipping geek crowd will proclaim PHX is best because it has high sunshine percentages (and the highest skin cancer rate to boot), no need to shovel snow (read: hideously boring never-changing environment), cheaper housing costs (gee, how much would you pay for a stucco POS w/o a basement that looks identical to every other house in the Valley???), etc.

Seriously, this isnt even a contest. Boston is the winner, what a joke of a comparison.
Well Steve-O there are lots of people who love the sun and that's just what they prefer. I like the sun too, nothing wrong with that. And I still say that for me, cheaper housing is really important.

And, no I don't think its a joke of a comparison.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:20 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Boston, in a heartbeat

Old 08-02-2008, 11:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post

Have you ever taken a moment to wonder why Phoenix has many more people than Boston(metro area and city combined)? There is a reason for that. Or there could be more than one, who really knows.
I just took one moment to think that the city of Boston is 48 square miles and the city of Phoenix is 517 square miles.

I also took a moment to see that the urban area of Boston is 5 million and Phoenix is 4.

the northeast corridor from DC to Boston is pretty much built up with 55 million people. Don't sell that short. They're not all stupid.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I prefer Boston to Phoenix and NE to the Southwest (I've been to both), but I do not like hot weather, and look forward to the first snowfall of winter with something approaching maniacal glee. While there is certainly a beauty to the southwest that I adore, I find it is a place I only want to visit, I cannot comprehend living in a desert, I have to live on the coast of a large body of water or I feel claustrophobic (Lake Michigan is only barely big enough for my tastes ).

Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 AM

[quote=Ria Rhodes;4702656]Even with the innumerable hassles of life there, Boston wins easily with its far more diverse populace, vastly superior history/arts/education,
Excuse me? Wins easily? That's just an opinion.

Anyway, try the eternal blazing sun

Some people love that blazing sun.

and when you get sick of Phoenix you'll split for elsewhere like most transplants under the age of forty do. You could always bypass Phoenix aka hot smog land (recommended)

There are lots of people I'm sure who never get sick of Phoenix, that's why they stay there. Its always a fact that Phoenix is one of the fastest growing areas in the USA, there are many reasons for that. I doubt that Boston will ever grow as fast. And smog? Los Angeles has a much worse smog problem than Phoenix according to the American Lung Association(that's another fact, by the way).

Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
As others have said, if money is no object than why does it matter how expensive housing is.

And 2 of your reasons were seriously sports and colleges? That doesn't really scream Phoenix to me.

Oh, and believe it or not you can go outside when it's cold. Snow opens up a whole new world of outdoor activities

Old 08-02-2008, 12:04 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I just took one moment to think that the city of Boston is 48 square miles and the city of Phoenix is 517 square miles.

I also took a moment to see that the urban area of Boston is 5 million and Phoenix is 4.

the northeast corridor from DC to Boston is pretty much built up with 55 million people. Don't sell that short. They're not all stupid.
That is one of my points - too many people in a small area. The population density in Boston is way to much for me.
People talk about sprawl in Phoenix but I like the fact that you can drive a short distance in almost any direction and feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. The northeast corridor from Boston to DC - as you said is pretty much built up. The metro centers pretty much all connect.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:16 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
That is one of my points - too many people in a small area. The population density in Boston is way to much for me.
People talk about sprawl in Phoenix but I like the fact that you can drive a short distance in almost any direction and feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. The northeast corridor from Boston to DC - as you said is pretty much built up. The metro centers pretty much all connect.
I take it you've never actually been 20 miles outside Boston

You can't drive a short distance and really be in the middle of nowhere but you can get fairly close. 2 hours will get you to the white mountains in NH or to just about any kind of coast you can imagine.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:16 PM

I just think that I wouldn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money just on a house. It just doesn't make sense to me. Even if money were no object what would I do with a large house?

The more expensive the home is, the higher the mortgage payment would be.

I have to agree that when it snows, you can do alot of outdoor activities, that is VERY true, I can't argue that.

And I'm sure you know that Boston gets heat with high humidity which can weaken a person faster than the arid climate of Phoenix, and that would be another reason to live out in Phoenix.

And in Phoenix even though there are scorpions and other bugs to deal with, I'd say I could handle being in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City