U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, or Nashville?
Dallas 36 15.45%
Houston 40 17.17%
Atlanta 46 19.74%
Charlotte 26 11.16%
Austin 35 15.02%
Nashville 50 21.46%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,775,647 times

Advertisements

Obviously Houston is the best here. Dallas and Atlanta are pretty good too. Austin is a tiny version of Houston without the world class amenities, culture and nightlife as well as being not as liberal as some people think it is. Charlotte i really know little about and Nashville is not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,319 times
I say Houston, it's one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the U.S. (if that's what you're into) and has the amenities one would expect from any international city. I like the tunnels that go underground, I was little when I visited so I may not be remembering that right but I think they're downtown. You're not supposed to take pictures and I think there are stores down there, plus I think the downtown area in general is pretty attractive and much more metropolitan than most people would expect.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 AM

756 posts, read 1,668,406 times
Houston, hands down.

Nashville and Austin are too small and don't feel urban. Charlotte is pretty, Atlanta and Dallas are not bad choices either.

But Houston is probably the only place named where you can get amazing tex-mex, cajun, sushi, thai, indian, greek, steak, italian and seafood in the same zip code (77006).

How did Austin and Nashville make this list?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,198,782 times
1st choice-Nashville
2nd choice-Dallas

Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 AM

3,206 posts, read 7,850,017 times
My question is why did you leave out San Antonio, the third fastes growing city in America, city pop- 1.4 million and expanding

Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 AM

8,292 posts, read 13,632,303 times
I have always liked Nashville, not sure why. It is a fun town, friendly people.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Houston, hands down.

Nashville and Austin are too small and don't feel urban. Charlotte is pretty, Atlanta and Dallas are not bad choices either.

But Houston is probably the only place named where you can get amazing tex-mex, cajun, sushi, thai, indian, greek, steak, italian and seafood in the same zip code (77006).

How did Austin and Nashville make this list?

And mugged, carjacked and murdered. UH...like uh...have you
been to Austin lately? It's over TEN times bigger than when I
got here in 85)from (FL) The main influx has been from
Houston/Dallas!(followed by Cali/Fl/Chicagoland/Japan/Germany)

Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,193,762 times
If I had to choose between those cities, I would choose Charlotte. I have extended family in the area and spent many summers as a child in North Carolina.

Second choice would be Nashville...

Austin, Atlanta and Houston do not interest me at all.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 AM

756 posts, read 1,668,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdiver View Post

Austin is boring and not urban enough, sorry. Was in Austin two weekends ago for a business function. Food is lethargic and too many drunken UT kids during college semesters. Additionally, the population is not even remotely international.

So yes, Houston, hands down. If you're getting carjacked and murdered, you're nowhere near where I live. Perhaps you are on the south side of 35 in Austin.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 12,922,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdiver View Post
What?? Oh please.

I've lived in both Austin and Houston in recent years. Austin has little on Houston aside from scenery, though it would love to think otherwise (and the media certainly doesn't help). Compared to Houston it was too provincial, the restaurant scene was lame, the cultural amenities were a joke (and it all revolved around the university), everyone tried way too hard to be "cool", the traffic was as bad as in Houston, and 95% of the nightlife was geared toward the college crowd. It was fun for maybe a year or two, then got boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or