U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,430,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Glad you got to see more of NYC. It's always been that way whenever I've stayed there. NYC and DC are very different cities, obviously.

But here is something more controversial - in my view, they are becoming like kindred spirits on the east coast. It might actually be easier to live in the DC area and visit NYC than it is to live in the NYC suburbs and do the same - due to the lower COL and higher salaries in DC.
But sadly according to cali son and Scrantex none of that exist cause we are all commuting suicide cause we aren't on the west coast.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:27 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
But sadly according to cali son and Scrantex none of that exist cause we are all commuting suicide cause we aren't on the west coast.
I'm not defending CaliSon, the guy lost his mind and started making duplicate accounts posting nude guy on guy pictures last night that got him banned but I never said you folks are "committing suicide" because you live in the east. I simply said you folks are jealous of our weather and try to downplay it every chance you get and that's true IMO.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM

21,975 posts, read 30,979,897 times
CA has far more consitently nice weather but there is some great weather on the East Coast as well (the last 3 or 4 weeks have probably been better than the WC, now that doesnt always last).

Weather is but one factor, CA has great natural beaty and amazing coast and mountains as well. To me also great cities. I like the diversity of both coasts quite honestly

Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,430,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I'm not defending CaliSon, the guy lost his mind and started making duplicate accounts posting nude guy on guy pictures last night that got him banned but I never said you folks are "committing suicide" because you live in the east. I simply said you folks are jealous of our weather and try to downplay it every chance you get and that's true IMO.
Not literally. The average east coaster knows the west coast has superior weather, but not everyone is into it. Their are people who actually like the snow(me not beig one of them)

Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM

11,965 posts, read 9,731,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I'm not jealous of your weather at all. I love having four seasons, as do most people I know. I look forward to and love the change in pace, the variety, and how unpredictable it is! Some years we can get feet upon feet of snow and others we can get none. I'm not at all jealous of people living in a climate where it's always balmy and sunny. I'm sure it's nice, but I like the change. To me, the holiday season would suck without the cold weather talked about in Christmas songs and Thanksgiving would be boring without the changing leaves and typical fall atmosphere. Not everyone can say they have lived through most types of weather conditions and temperatures.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:58 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,637,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They both have awesome metros. But again, the CITY itself is not the metro. I don't know how you could possibly disagree. The metro is built around the city. Not the opposite.

You can't compare just the five boroughs of New York (which is what New Yorkers/metro people always refer to when talking about New York) with LA AND its metro area (like people from Cali tend to do on this forum).

It's the city of LA itself with the city of New York itself. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Not including surrounding areas, JUST the city. THAT is a city to city comparison.
Both LA and NYC can be quite overrated on this site. However I don't think either are by any means the most overrated, simply because they both offer so much (and yes I mean just the city of LA). Personally when I say "metro" in a thread like this (one that is pretty obviously city-specific) I am using it to blanket places like WeHo, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City - places that for all intents and purposes are Los Angeles (i.e. they are surrounded on all sides by LA), they are just not incorporated into the city - I wouldn't be referencing Pasadena or LB which are clearly separate cities. Sort of like Boston using Cambridge or Brookline but not Quincy.

Glad you like New York City so much, it is a wonderful place and I don't disagree with anything you've said about it on the last few pages. However your view of Los Angeles is myopic at best. It's okay to not like the city but the reasons you gave are pretty dubious.

Oh and for the record I think LA without those separate municipalities that are embedded within is still far far far from the most overrated city.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM

11,965 posts, read 9,731,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Both LA and NYC can be quite overrated on this site. However I don't think either are by any means the most overrated, simply because they both offer so much (and yes I mean just the city of LA). Personally when I say "metro" in a thread like this (one that is pretty obviously city-specific) I am using it to blanket places like WeHo, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City - places that for all intents and purposes are Los Angeles (i.e. they are surrounded on all sides by LA), they are just not incorporated into the city - I wouldn't be referencing Pasadena or LB which are clearly separate cities. Sort of like Boston using Cambridge or Brookline but not Quincy.

Glad you like New York City so much, it is a wonderful place and I don't disagree with anything you've said about it on the last few pages. However your view of Los Angeles is myopic at best. It's okay to not like the city but the reasons you gave are pretty dubious.

Oh and for the record I think LA without those separate municipalities that are embedded within is still far far far from the most overrated city.
But this is exactly what I mean. You just proved my point. People in and around NYC don't count places that aren't NYC as part of NYC, ever. The fact that people in LA do is fine, but in a debate or whatever over which city is better (which of course is obviously mostly matter of opinion) that won't go over well because those places aren't LA. Near it, yes. And they deserve that recognition, but not recognition that they ARE LA. Maybe this is because NYC is virtually all an island except the Bronx so it would be harder to incorporate other areas into it, but nevertheless we never do it. NYC is NYC and the suburbs and outside cities in the metro are just those - suburbs and outside cities near NYC.

What reasons did I give for not liking LA? I never said I don't like it. All I ever said was that people on the east coast don't view the definition of the city itself the same way you on the west coast would, and what you just said proved that. And it's fine, think of it how you want, it's your city. But this is why people from the New York area don't think LA is necessarily as great as people claim. Santa Monica is wonderful, I have a friend from Orange County who goes there all the time and raves about it, but it's not part of LA. You saying LA is awesome because Santa Monica is right next to it is like me saying NYC is awesome because the Hamptons are on Long Island beside it.

I guess we're going to agree to disagree on this topic?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
But this is exactly what I mean. You just proved my point. People in and around NYC don't count places that aren't NYC as part of NYC, ever. The fact that people in LA do is fine, but in a debate or whatever over which city is better (which of course is obviously mostly matter of opinion) that won't go over well because those places aren't LA. Near it, yes. And they deserve that recognition, but not recognition that they ARE LA. Maybe this is because NYC is virtually all an island except the Bronx so it would be harder to incorporate other areas into it, but nevertheless we never do it. NYC is NYC and the suburbs and outside cities in the metro are just those - suburbs and outside cities near NYC.
I was just trying to show why those posters may have said that. Like I said before, LA even without those unincorporated areas is still a top notch city and far from the most overrated. Similar to NYC, you can do / see / eat a new thing in the city every day without a repeat - it's almost frustrating in a way, you'll never have enough time.

Quote:
What reasons did I give for not liking LA? I never said I don't like it. All I ever said was that people on the east coast don't view the definition of the city itself the same way you on the west coast would, and what you just said proved that. And it's fine, think of it how you want, it's your city. But this is why people from the New York area don't think LA is necessarily as great as people claim. Santa Monica is wonderful, I have a friend from Orange County who goes there all the time and raves about it, but it's not part of LA. You saying LA is awesome because Santa Monica is right next to it is like me saying NYC is awesome because the Hamptons are on Long Island beside it.
Oh spare me- this is probably why people are calling you arrogant (Also "No tourist would ever pick LA over NYC" - Really? None?). Fun Fact: A great deal of LA posters on this board (including me) have lived on the East Coast and know what your cities are like.

Yes NYC is way, way more "city" than LA and does definitely offer more than LA, but doesn't mean LA is not a "real" city and does not have more to offer within its city limits than any other city in the US (Chicago is definitely debatable though).

One other thing to note, you mentioned your love of skyscrapers - LA has one of the largest skylines in the country, not bad considering its multi-nodal-ness and relatively recent height-restrictions. It also has the third-most highrises in the US.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM

260 posts, read 308,797 times
I don't understand why New York is considered overrated at all. It has its fair share of problems, but it remains one of the best cities in the world. NYC is an economic powerhouse with great architecture and amenities.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not jealous of your weather at all. I love having four seasons, as do most people I know. I look forward to and love the change in pace, the variety, and how unpredictable it is! Some years we can get feet upon feet of snow and others we can get none. I'm not at all jealous of people living in a climate where it's always balmy and sunny. I'm sure it's nice, but I like the change. To me, the holiday season would suck without the cold weather talked about in Christmas songs and Thanksgiving would be boring without the changing leaves and typical fall atmosphere. Not everyone can say they have lived through most types of weather conditions and temperatures.
Yeah not much to be jealous of right now at all. It's early October and 95 degrees with bizarro humidity? Gahhhhh. We were having such a mild summer (laughing at you guys' heat wave on the East Coast) up until about two months ago.

I just have to keep telling myself it gets worth it in February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or