U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
12,994 posts, read 17,113,637 times
Reputation: 14300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Chicago is by far the most underrated city in America.
No, that'd be Philadelphia...


Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'd say Philadelphia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Philadelphia!
...and this is exactly why. By the way, there's no logic in saying that a city is "overrated" if a lot of people consider it inferior in the first place.

I'm still trying to figure out what it lacks compared to all these other cities that are supposedly better than it. It's one of only three cities in the United States with at least 1,000,000 population and 10,000 people per square mile. It has a strong corporate presence, with one of the world's largest media and telecommunications corporations as its icon. It has an important seaport and an extensive rail transit system, and is in the process of expanding its hub airport. It has some of the finest urban settings in the United States, and a large and growing skyline.

It has high-end shopping, dining and cultural institutions. It has teams in all four major professional sports leagues, and enough aggregate income to support a second team in any of them. The city's population is diverse, and the suburbs are diversifying. Speaking of suburbs, the U.S. 30 and U.S. 202 corridors west of the city are loaded, as is the PA 309 corridor north of the city, to a lesser extent. Chester County is one of the top 25 counties in the United States in median household income, and Montgomery County is just outside the top 50. And this wealth is earned, not subsidized.

Demographically and socioeconomically, the city of Philadelphia is very similar to the city of Chicago, and each city has a roughly equal proportion of deluxe urban neighborhoods and filthy ghettos. People are hypocrites if they love Chicago but then tear down Philadelphia for any demographic or socioeconomic reasons. I can understand people preferring Chicago over Philadelphia because there's more elbow room, or because the lakefront is nice, or even because they prefer the architecture, but they lose all credibility the moment they start throwing around words like "dump" or "ghetto." And if Camden is somehow Philadelphia's responsibility, then Gary is Chicago's responsibility.

Philadelphia has everything a superstar city needs, so where's the problem? Must be arbitrary horse**** like, "It has 1.6% fewer Asians and 4.4% fewer Hispanics than City X; its GDP per capita is $1,796 lower than City Y, and its transit ridership is 2.1% lower than City Z, so it's PATHETIC!"

 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 PM
 
507 posts, read 633,388 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
What are you guys talking about?? The only negative things I have ever heard about Chicago is that it's cold and the crime rate is high. Other than that, whenever someone talks to me about Chicago, they're taking about how big of a city it is, how much there is to see/do, or how great the food is. I don't think it's overrated, but it is not underrated what so ever! Especially when people try to rank it ahead of LA as the USA's "Second City." And who cares if it's not on people from the Western USA's radar? Just because the West doesn't revolve around big cities on the East and Midwest doen't mean those cities are underrated. And if Chicago is underrated, think about all these other cities that are.
LOL who are these people that put Chicago over LA? I've never seen anyone say that, that's just silly.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Reputation: 7295
On this forum? Philadelphia

Frankly, it's not for me for both living and visiting.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 03-09-2013 at 02:42 AM..
 
Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
432 posts, read 459,716 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No, that'd be Philadelphia...





...and this is exactly why. By the way, there's no logic in saying that a city is "overrated" if a lot of people consider it inferior in the first place.

I'm still trying to figure out what it lacks compared to all these other cities that are supposedly better than it. It's one of only three cities in the United States with at least 1,000,000 population and 10,000 people per square mile. It has a strong corporate presence, with one of the world's largest media and telecommunications corporations as its icon. It has an important seaport and an extensive rail transit system, and is in the process of expanding its hub airport. It has some of the finest urban settings in the United States, and a large and growing skyline.

It has high-end shopping, dining and cultural institutions. It has teams in all four major professional sports leagues, and enough aggregate income to support a second team in any of them. The city's population is diverse, and the suburbs are diversifying. Speaking of suburbs, the U.S. 30 and U.S. 202 corridors west of the city are loaded, as is the PA 309 corridor north of the city, to a lesser extent. Chester County is one of the top 25 counties in the United States in median household income, and Montgomery County is just outside the top 50. And this wealth is earned, not subsidized.

Demographically and socioeconomically, the city of Philadelphia is very similar to the city of Chicago, and each city has a roughly equal proportion of deluxe urban neighborhoods and filthy ghettos. People are hypocrites if they love Chicago but then tear down Philadelphia for any demographic or socioeconomic reasons. I can understand people preferring Chicago over Philadelphia because there's more elbow room, or because the lakefront is nice, or even because they prefer the architecture, but they lose all credibility the moment they start throwing around words like "dump" or "ghetto." And if Camden is somehow Philadelphia's responsibility, then Gary is Chicago's responsibility.

Philadelphia has everything a superstar city needs, so where's the problem? Must be arbitrary horse**** like, "It has 1.6% fewer Asians and 4.4% fewer Hispanics than City X; its GDP per capita is $1,796 lower than City Y, and its transit ridership is 2.1% lower than City Z, so it's PATHETIC!"

Great post! +1
 
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,828 posts, read 9,827,294 times
Reputation: 7981
How did San Francisco sneak away with so few votes and LA so many?
I don't think any city is as universally praised on here or compared to NYC as often as San Francisco er excuse me, The Bay Area.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,088,859 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How did San Francisco sneak away with so few votes and LA so many?
I don't think any city is as universally praised on here or compared to NYC as often as San Francisco er excuse me, The Bay Area.
San Francisco is accurately rated, if not underrated. It may be hard to believe, but SF often far outshines the heaped-on praise it receives.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
 
492 posts, read 599,666 times
Reputation: 248
Lol, this post must have been made back in a time when Atlanta was constantly being targeted on this site.

Who is overating Atlanta?
 
Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,828 posts, read 9,827,294 times
Reputation: 7981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
San Francisco is accurately rated, if not underrated. It may be hard to believe, but SF often far outshines the heaped-on praise it receives.
Lol that's fine but I was speaking more in my own opinion. Not to say that I don't like the place in even the slightest (in fact one of my favorite cities I've visited) but the heaped-on praise doesn't always gel with my perception. And I was also speaking more to the fact that LA seems underrated if anything.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,356 posts, read 2,216,639 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Lol, this post must have been made back in a time when Atlanta was constantly being targeted on this site.

Who is overating Atlanta?
Atlanta has never been "targeted".

According to the poll, Atlanta is overrated. Deal with it.
 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Reputation: 10783
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Lol, this post must have been made back in a time when Atlanta was constantly being targeted on this site.

Who is overating Atlanta?
Atlanta is probably the top relocation destination in the country these days, along with North Carolina. It must be highly rated for so many people to want to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top