U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,024,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Here is some articles showing the extremely high crime rate in New Orleans, hard to argue facts.

World's Five Most Dangerous Cities
New Orleans has highest U.S. city crime rate

On a side note lets switch the focus to another overrated city and talk about Portland. Everyone looks as if they are on drugs, could be heroine induced, pot or another drug, but in the end who knows. I guess this is where their hippie culture comes from. The average house price is outrageous compared to the salaries. The metro lacks any type of diversity and African Americans can't be found anywhere and even their Asian prescense is lacking. Now, I was poking fun at Seattle earlier but Portland is so horrible it makes Seattle look world class.
Oh yeah, you really got Portland's number too... Completely on point.

I'll keep it classy, since someone likes to talk out of school around these parts...

Last edited by Deezus; 03-20-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,570,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Oh yeah, you really got Portland's number too... Completely on point.

I'll keep it classy, since there's a "rat" around these parts...
Did you move to Philadelphia recently?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,391,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
New Orleans is one of the most interesting and unique places in North America--but that's lost on a lot of people whose knowledge of the city is probably limited to Bourbon Street osomething they see on TV.

Bland and tacky architecture? There's more interesting residential architecture in side neighborhoods of New Orleans than just about anywhere in the US--most American cities, even the older sections--seem sort of bland compared to it in many ways.
I've never known anyone in person who hasn't liked that city. But then again I don't hang out with boring people who pretend they're sophisticated and classy either.

Even you don't like NOLA I don't see how any can say it's architecture is bland or tacky.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,302,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've never known anyone in person who hasn't liked that city. But then again I don't hang out with boring people who pretend they're sophisticated and classy either.

Even you don't like NOLA I don't see how any can say it's architecture is bland or tacky.
Outside its (relatively small) historical districts NOLA has TONS of tackiness and blight.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,083,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Outside its (relatively small) historical districts NOLA has TONS of tackiness and blight.
If you mean poverty-stricken by "tacky", then yes, we do have our run down areas. And yes, we have a good deal of blight- we were hit by a storm a few years ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I've seen plenty of NOLA from the Marigny all the way to Uptown and that's a decent sized area, I didn't find any of it tacky and blighted. Maybe a a few lots here and there that might be a little rundown but overall I thought the areas were nice and had a ton of character. A lot of Los Angeles is pretty tacky and blighted looking too, but like with NOLA the good parts are pretty good. And like with most cities I have zero reason or interest in visiting those tacky or blighted parts, so as a tourist WHO CARES? There is still plenty to see and do in the city.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I've seen plenty of NOLA from the Marigny all the way to Uptown and that's a decent sized area, I didn't find any of it tacky and blighted. Maybe a a few lots here and there that might be a little rundown but overall I thought the areas were nice and had a ton of character. A lot of Los Angeles is pretty tacky and blighted looking too, but like with NOLA the good parts are pretty good. And like with most cities I have zero reason or interest in visiting those tacky or blighted parts, so as a tourist WHO CARES? There is still plenty to see and do in the city.
Were you wearing a MASSIVE pair of pink glasses?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
If you mean poverty-stricken by "tacky", then yes, we do have our run down areas. And yes, we have a good deal of blight- we were hit by a storm a few years ago.

And a good deal of crime and murders either

Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Were you wearing a MASSIVE pair of pink glasses?
Maybe you just don't have good taste or appreciate unique culture, character, and good architecture? I dunno.

NOLA does quite well with the vast majority of people who visit it.

New Orleans tourism breaks record in 2011 | NOLA.com

"For instance, more than 90 percent of the 15,713 visitors surveyed said they were likely to recommend New Orleans as a travel destination"

"Nearly 60 percent of corporate travelers said they extended their stay for an extra two days."

Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,083,624 times
Quote:
Maybe you just don't have good taste or appreciate unique culture, character, and good architecture? I dunno.

NOLA does quite well with the vast majority of people who visit it.

New Orleans tourism breaks record in 2011 | NOLA.com

"For instance, more than 90 percent of the 15,713 visitors surveyed said they were likely to recommend New Orleans as a travel destination"

"Nearly 60 percent of corporate travelers said they extended their stay for an extra two days."
You don't get it, man. He and/or Ice Cream Man read plenty of internet stuff and have even left their home state on more than one occasion. The best we can do is throw our lots with one of them and hope he wins the epic battle for supremacy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or