Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM

696 posts, read 1,161,958 times

Advertisements

I've always thought Atlanta was overhyped I see no appeal for it other then rap music and being a black mecca.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:11 PM

325 posts, read 253,495 times
If this list (as horribly unscientific as it is) is any indication, there is a general consensus that Philadelphia is not considered overrated. I think most people here agree it is, in fact, the colon of the East Coast and most certainly the 4th city of this region - a place that peaked in the 1790s. It is probably the only major city on the East Coast that people move to with a sense of resignation and disappointment.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well looking at all of its negative qualities as a big city, it's not really that surprising.

1. horrible infrastructure
2. too much sprawl
3. poor urban planning (ex. lack of zoning)
3. non-vibrant downtown
5. poor mass transit
6. mediocre local cuisine compared to other it's peers (NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles)
7. horrible architecture
8. mediocre education system
9. Usually ranks among the most obese cities in North America
First off... horrible infrastructure?

Second, this entire post basically tells you that Houston should never be labeled as overrated, especially on city-data. And honestly, some of those "negatives" are exaggerated, typically by east coast snobs.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
And whoever left this message in my inbox:

Quote:
**** if you don't quote him then he won't slam houston punk!!
Just don't even bother with responding. It's weak.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:42 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,363,033 times
I dont think LA is at all overrated. Why do people think LA is overrated?

What is LA known for to someone who hasnt been to the LA area: earthquakes, fake people, fake body parts, actors and celebs everywhere, large distances between places, suburban sprawl, heavy heavy traffic, freeways, Hollywood glitz and glam lifestyle seen on TV/movies, LAPD, drought, smog, small tall skyline, Lakers, Dodgers, sunny warm weather the same all year, beach lifestyle, driving a car. surfing, valley girl. theme parks, palm trees, Getty museum, High wealth Beverly Hills Bel Air, Hollywood Hills mansions and pools vs. poor high crime like Watts, Compton, South Central. Lots of poor mexicans.

Based on that, what do people expect of LA? Most of that is considered negative to many people when comparing it to other US cities or world cities. I dont see the hype or being overrated. Are people expecting tall buildings and a skyline like Chicago, NYC? Are people expecting amazing public transit like San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, Boston? Are people looking for beautiful historic tree lined streets and buildings like Boston, DC, NYC? Are people expecting vibrant walkable streets where people walk everywhere, hail taxis or catch public transit? Do people even know what there is to do in LA outside of Hollywood Blvd, shopping Rodeo Drive and the beaches then party in West hollywood/Hollywood. People think downtowns are the centers of the city but for decades no one thought Downtown LA is the place to be. You kind of know it is not like the other cities beforehand, so what is the hype/overrated things about LA. I think the sunny warm weather lives to the hype. The glitz and glam of the rich and famous is not everywhere though but it is if you live in the nice places like near the beach or Beverly Hills/Westside and also if you hang out with the celebs. But thats overrated.

What I know is LA is not like other cities I know. It didnt follow the rules of what a city should be or try to emulate other cities. LA is often misunderstood and often corrected by LA people on what it is really like. Downtown is changing, more urban and vibrant for the better much like many other cities across America. More rail lines built similar to other cities, too that were mostly car centered. It is getting denser and more urban even if doesnt look like what a dense urban area should look like. It wont ever be compact and easily walkable everywhere. NYC/LA are often compared and disappointed that LA isnt like NYC.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:10 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,813,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I've always thought Atlanta was overhyped I see no appeal for it other then rap music and being a black mecca.
Absolutely hilarious!

Have you ever been outside of the Bronx?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:13 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,813,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I dont think LA is at all overrated. Why do people think LA is overrated?
Because an amazing amount of people here are beyond clueless, and have never traveled beyond their parents subdivision.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:28 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,914,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
First off... horrible infrastructure?

Second, this entire post basically tells you that Houston should never be labeled as overrated, especially on city-data. And honestly, some of those "negatives" are exaggerated, typically by east coast snobs.
Yeah, okay

Old 06-02-2015, 05:49 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,573,417 times
Sadly, I have to agree with Atlanta. I love Atlanta, but I only came to love it when I accepted it for what it is .. not what it's hyped as. It's one of the best mid tier cities (those cities that come after the first tier of NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, DC, Boston and Seattle ... strictly subjective list based on cities people seem to love the most), but it's not the urban wonderland it sometimes portrayed as.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:57 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,355,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Because an amazing amount of people here are beyond clueless, and have never traveled beyond their parents subdivision.
REP, Hilarious and so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City