U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,135,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Sadly, I have to agree with Atlanta. I love Atlanta, but I only came to love it when I accepted it for what it is .. not what it's hyped as. It's one of the best mid tier cities (those cities that come after the first tier of NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, DC, Boston and Seattle ... strictly subjective list based on cities people seem to love the most), but it's not the urban wonderland it sometimes portrayed as.
Among other things, this happened to me when I lived there. I don't know if it's the most overrated city, but it's definitely overrated. Mainly because it's hyped up so much in particular ways (Atlanta is urban, Atlanta is cosmopolitan, etc etc). Atlanta is a bigger, better version of Charlotte, or Nashville, but with more people and worse traffic. It's certainly not urban. Although, I prefer it to Houston or Dallas in that department, but the incremental difference is almost negligible.

I came to accept Atlanta for what it is and be at peace with it only after I moved away from it. The more I move, the more I realize the grass is not greener on the other side. Living in Atlanta, you do sacrifice nightlife, sophistication, a faster pace if that's what you like, urban lifestyle, etc etc. At the same time, if you want to max out on these qualities in a place like New York or San Francisco, you're going to be a little peon renting a dingy apartment without a car and unable to settle down enough just to date someone for more than 1-2 months at a time.

I guess you pick your battles with wherever you decide to live. However, I do wish Atlanta would stop touting itself as a new urban paradise. I was *just* in the city and there is definitely nothing that would convince me otherwise that it's a new urban vertical suburb with an abnormal amount of high rises scattered amongst an absolutely beautiful tree canopy (which is something you don't actually get in an urban environment).

Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,437,578 times
Lol at people thinking Houston is overrated. It's not. Secondly let me say Houston isn't a dead zone like many think. If one would look up you can see just how much construction is going on in downtown Houston.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Lol at people thinking Houston is overrated. It's not. Secondly let me say Houston isn't a dead zone like many think. If one would look up you can see just how much construction is going on in downtown Houston.
A contracting company by the name of Lend Lease is overseeing most of the construction in that area as well.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Among other things, this happened to me when I lived there. I don't know if it's the most overrated city, but it's definitely overrated. Mainly because it's hyped up so much in particular ways (Atlanta is urban, Atlanta is cosmopolitan, etc etc). Atlanta is a bigger, better version of Charlotte, or Nashville, but with more people and worse traffic. It's certainly not urban. Although, I prefer it to Houston or Dallas in that department, but the incremental difference is almost negligible.

I came to accept Atlanta for what it is and be at peace with it only after I moved away from it. The more I move, the more I realize the grass is not greener on the other side. Living in Atlanta, you do sacrifice nightlife, sophistication, a faster pace if that's what you like, urban lifestyle, etc etc. At the same time, if you want to max out on these qualities in a place like New York or San Francisco, you're going to be a little peon renting a dingy apartment without a car and unable to settle down enough just to date someone for more than 1-2 months at a time.

I guess you pick your battles with wherever you decide to live. However, I do wish Atlanta would stop touting itself as a new urban paradise. I was *just* in the city and there is definitely nothing that would convince me otherwise that it's a new urban vertical suburb with an abnormal amount of high rises scattered amongst an absolutely beautiful tree canopy (which is something you don't actually get in an urban environment).

Who is portraying Atlanta to be an "urban wonderland"? I definitely don't see it on this forum and numerous articles come out every year mocking Atlanta's sprawl. I think people know Atlanta is not a dense metropolis and it never will be in our lifetimes.

And Atlanta's nightlife isn't bad at all...I mean, it was better in the 90s, but it still top 10 I'd say in the country.

Atlanta was overrated and overhyped 10 years ago. I don't think it is now. I actually think Atlanta was humbled by the recession and it showed even it was vulnerable despite being the fastest growing metropolitan area for 2 decades with an extremely great economy.

2-3 years ago, when I took this poll, I had an outright hated for Atlanta and I voted for it. If I could change my vote, it would go to Austin honestly. It's not that walkable and it's nightlife is overrated and one dimensional(college kids). People acting like it's on the level of Seattle for walkability. Dallas is more walkable.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Who is portraying Atlanta to be an "urban wonderland"? I definitely don't see it on this forum and numerous articles come out every year mocking Atlanta's sprawl. I think people know Atlanta is not a dense metropolis and it never will be in our lifetimes.

And Atlanta's nightlife isn't bad at all...I mean, it was better in the 90s, but it still top 10 I'd say in the country.

Atlanta was overrated and overhyped 10 years ago. I don't think it is now. I actually think Atlanta was humbled by the recession and it showed even it was vulnerable despite being the fastest growing metropolitan area for 2 decades with an extremely great economy.

2-3 years ago, when I took this poll, I had an outright hated for Atlanta and I voted for it. If I could change my vote, it would go to Austin honestly. It's not that walkable and it's nightlife is overrated and one dimensional(college kids). People acting like it's on the level of Seattle for walkability. Dallas is more walkable.
Atlanta and Austin are overrated. Austin does have a very vibrant downtown atleast. Still overrated. Don't get me wrong Atlanta and Austin are nice but get too much hype.

Last edited by mrfoe; 06-02-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
I really hate the word overrated. How are cities overrated anyway?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:34 PM

696 posts, read 819,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I really hate the word overrated. How are cities overrated anyway?
Overrated as in DC is overrated because of the media and politics all of which I could care less about.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Overrated as in DC is overrated because of the media and politics all of which I could care less about.
And the exact same thing can be said regarding New York in the opinion of millions.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 PM

12,994 posts, read 17,117,737 times
It took a while, but I think Atlanta now understands that quality growth matters more than quantity growth, and that numbers don't compensate for having no real sense of place. I expect Atlanta's growth to be slower than it was as a "boomtown" between 1970 and 2000, but I also expect its growth to be nicer. In this respect, it seems to me that Atlanta's best analog is actually Los Angeles. Los Angeles was a boomtown between 1950 and 1980, but it became overrated by 1990 before it started to mature as a city. Atlanta is following the same path as Los Angeles, except 20 years later.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 PM

696 posts, read 819,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And the exact same thing can be said regarding New York in the opinion of millions.
Just like how Atlanta is overrated due to it being a black mecca, rap music, and being associated with nascar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or