U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,207,035 times
Reputation: 4047

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Which exactly the problem we have here on CD. People pretending they know places very well but in reality they are basing it solely on sterotypes.

And btw.....News Flash: American Media is entertaining but is not the best place for learning about the true nature of the world.
You understand that, I understand that, but tell the millions of people who believe everything the media displays. It's probably the median to brainwashing.

 
Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Tha 6th Bourough
3,634 posts, read 4,861,317 times
Reputation: 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Orlando and Vegas.
Orlando is not the most over-rated on this list....you would only know if you truly lived there without a bias towards Orlando.
 
Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM
 
7 posts, read 4,740 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I would think it would be the other way around. If NYC is such a destination, more people probably HAVE been there. On the flip-side, with some NY'ers (not all) feeling that nothing worthy exists outside of NYC, they most likely haven't been to visit many places they comment about.
What??? New Yorkers readily admit there are places worth visiting outside of the city and often visit the Hamptons, Jersey Shore, Florida, Poconos, Aspen, Atlantic City, Vegas etc etc but when it comes to all things urban are you going to tell me that New Yorkers should be impressed with fine dining of Houston or theater life of Chicago? If you think so check the rankings of fine restaurants in the world or do some reading on Broadway/off-Broadway... New Yorkers do visit a lot of places on business trips etc, also many New Yorkers are transplants from other parts of the country so they do know what it has to offer, neverthelles in perfoming arts, dining or sports New York does not have a real competition in the US...

Last edited by marantzZ; 04-18-2010 at 07:20 PM..
 
Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 PM
 
486 posts, read 892,272 times
Reputation: 321
Is NYC overpriced? Perhaps, but apparently a lot of people want to live there, or prices would drop, significantly...it was one of the least affected major cities in the real estate crisis.

Is it overrated, no way.

^^Good points to the above post.
 
Old 04-18-2010, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,064,356 times
Reputation: 3974
Quote:
Originally Posted by marantzZ View Post
What??? New Yorkers readily admit there are places worth visiting outside of the city and often visit the Hamptons, Jersey Shore, Florida, Poconos, Aspen, Atlantic City, Vegas etc etc but when it comes to all things urban are you going to tell me that New Yorkers should be impressed with fine dining of Houston or theater life of Chicago? If you think so check the rankings of fine restaurants in the world or do some reading on Broadway/off-Broadway... New Yorkers do visit a lot of places on business trips etc, also many New Yorkers are transplants from other parts of the country so they do know what it has to offer, neverthelles in perfoming arts, dining or sports New York does not have a real competition in the US...


LOL...Hamptons, Jersey Shore, Florida, Poconos, Aspen, Atlantic City, Vegas? What is so surprising about this list? This list doesn't scream "well-traveled", but reinforces the idea that New Yorkers (some) are typical in their travels. I'm sure there are some New Yorkers who travel (and find value) in other places besides these, but I'm not inspired by your list.

Having said that, your post above is the kind of attitude that really turns people off to (some) New Yorkers. Am I really supposed to care whether or not New Yorkers have given their "stamp of approval" for fine dining, theatre, sports, or anything outside of NY? Not really, but it is sad that some people live inside that type of bubble and actually believe that the rest of us who choose to live in the cities we live in are either failures, uncivilized, or not cut from the same cloth. NYC is great at certain things, but it is not great at everything.

In addition, I'm not sure I buy that there is an overwelmingly higher percentage of New Yorkers who have done more traveling across the country than people in other cities even if some do travel for business. Despite the fact that I am fully aware of transplants in the city (as I have a few friends living in the city including one who is an understudy as Glinda in "Wicked"), I still don't buy that New Yorkers as a whole are more in-tune with what's happening outside of New York (vs. the rest of the population's knowledge of the rest of the country including NYC) and therefore are more qualified to comment about cities they most likely haven't visited based on assumptions and preconcieved notions that those cities just don't and won't "stack up" in any area.
 
Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,400 posts, read 19,059,534 times
Reputation: 11048
As far as large cities are concerned and going more by the list...I'd give my vote to Orlando.
 
Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 AM
 
7 posts, read 4,740 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Having said that, your post above is the kind of attitude that really turns people off to (some) New Yorkers. Am I really supposed to care whether or not New Yorkers have given their "stamp of approval" for fine dining, theatre, sports, or anything outside of NY? Not really, but it is sad that some people live inside that type of bubble and actually believe that the rest of us who choose to live in the cities we live in are either failures, uncivilized, or not cut from the same cloth. NYC is great at certain things, but it is not great at everything.
For you it is a bubble for many it is a sad reality. Do you want me to drool over your theater district when most actors nationwide simply dream about playing on Broadway? Do you want me to admire your food scene when most world-renowned restaurants are located in New York? (check the rankings) Do you really expect Yankee fans, where Yankees won 27 national titles, to care about Diamondbacks?

Nobody in New York is going to give you any stamp of approval even if you asked for it. Come up with something original and/or excellent and the world, including New York, will recognize and come to see it...

Last edited by marantzZ; 04-19-2010 at 01:28 AM..
 
Old 04-19-2010, 01:20 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,099 times
Reputation: 11
LA is overated. It gets my vote. LA is a big suburb with no core. It's overated because it's on t.v all the time and they only show rich white peope.When in fact,LA looks more like a 3rd world city with its spanish archetecture and all of the illegals.
 
Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,099 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Is NYC overpriced? Perhaps, but apparently a lot of people want to live there, or prices would drop, significantly...it was one of the least affected major cities in the real estate crisis.

Is it overrated, no way.

^^Good points to the above post.

It is over priced. A simple taxi ride from Mid-town Manhattan to Union City,NJ cost you 45 bucks plus the 5 dollar toll of the lincoln tunnel.That can ride only takes 5-10 minutes! $50 dollars for a short trip!!!! They don't use taximeters! They charge you by the book. Even short cab ride EXPENSIVE!!!

NYC isn't overated,but is it worth it? Hum
 
Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,064,356 times
Reputation: 3974
Quote:
Originally Posted by marantzZ View Post
For you it is a bubble for many it is a sad reality. Do you want me to drool over your theater district when most actors nationawide simply dream about playing on Broadway? Do you want me to admire your food scene when most world-renowned restaurants are located in New York? (check the rankings) Do you really expect Yankee fans, where Yankees won 27 national titles to care about (for example) Brewers?

Nobody in New York is going to give you any stamp of approval even if you asked for it. Come up with something original and excellent and the world, including New York, will recognize it.
LOL.

In reference to your wants and needs, thanks, but no thanks. The inflated self-concept you have of yourself because you are a NY'er doesn't interest me, in fact it comes across as pompous and juvenile.

I've never disputed the great things that NYC has to offer which are plentiful, yet your response clearly hasn't addressed the main topic I was speaking about which was NY'ers perceptions of other places in the country and whether they've even experienced enough time/travel in those areas to be able to so boldly (and blindly) comment on them. I'm guessing you agree with me on that topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top