U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM

5,362 posts, read 7,080,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamM View Post
How do you really know who knows what? A lot of New Yorkers are transplants with pretty decent knowledge of other parts of the country...
How do you know that a lot of New Yorkers have a pretty decent knowledge of other parts of the country? Because they are transplants? I don't think the subject was whether or not they have a decent knowledge, but whether they are more in-tune with what's happening outside of NYC. This has already been discussed...moving along.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 3,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
How do you know that a lot of New Yorkers have a pretty decent knowledge of other parts of the country? Because they are transplants? I don't think the subject was whether or not they have a decent knowledge, but whether they are more in-tune with what's happening outside of NYC. This has already been discussed...moving along.
There are milions of transplants in New York and I think they do know more about the parts of the country they used to live before than typical tourists learn about New York city during a typical weekend trip. The problem with image of New York is that its reality has been so heavily expolited by Hollywood that most people have an opinion about New York even before they set foot over here. Unfortunately, most people do not even realize what their opinion is based on.

Last edited by arcamM; 04-19-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,723,348 times
Atlanta, NYC

Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,897,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Can't overrate a city unless you've seen at least half of it.
Does this only apply sometimes? And/or is Texas an exception to this rule?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 PM

11,299 posts, read 16,461,924 times
When I saw this thread I just saw a big red bullseye over the maps of NYC, LA, etc.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamM View Post
There are milions of transplants in New York and I think they do know more about the parts of the country they used to live before than typical tourists learn about New York city during a typical weekend trip. The problem with image of New York is that its reality has been so heavily expolited by Hollywood that most people have an opinion about New York even before they set foot over here. Unfortunately, most people do not even realize what their opinion is based on.
I'm not speaking about the parts of the country they used to live in, but rather the places they claim they've visited and feel entitled to belittle. Sadly, I've read more negative than positive comments about other parts of the country from NY posters, and having traveled much myself, it's pretty clear to me that many of those posters are just throwing out generalizations about places they haven't visited. You speak about the problem with the images people have of New York without having set foot there and how most people do not even realize what their opinions are based on; however, I do not believe NY'ers are exempt from that behavior either. Hollywood AND NY have placed stereotypes on many different places, not just NY - look at the South. NY doesn't get a free pass from it.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM

245 posts, read 153,193 times
And whose fault is it that when most think of the South they immediately think of slavery, cotton fields, KKK, bible-thumpers and lack of world-renowned cultural institutions?
Do you really think anybody associates country music with finess and sophistication? Give us a break, will ya?

Quote:
I'm not speaking about the parts of the country they used to live in, but rather the places they claim they've visited and feel entitled to belittle. Sadly, I've read more negative than positive comments about other parts of the country from NY posters, and having traveled much myself, it's pretty clear to me that many of those posters are just throwing out generalizations about places they haven't visited. You speak about the problem with the images people have of New York without having set foot there and how most people do not even realize what their opinions are based on; however, I do not believe NY'ers are exempt from that behavior either. Hollywood AND NY have placed stereotypes on many different places, not just NY - look at the South. NY doesn't get a free pass from it.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
And whose fault is it that when most think of the South they immediately think of slavery, cotton fields, KKK, bible-thumpers and lack of world-renowned cultural institutions?
Do you really think anybody associates country music with finess and sophistication? Give us a break, will ya?
What time period are you living in? I guess all of those NY'ers who have ventured out of the city to make new homes in the South (and helped the region's population explode) certainly haven't helped to raise the bar down there, now have they? Is that what you're trying to say? Give me a break. It sounds as though you're the one living with old stereotypes, but thanks for proving the point I was trying to make.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,242,282 times
Quote:
What time period are you living in? I guess all of those NY'ers who have ventured out of the city to make new homes in the South (and helped the region's population explode) certainly haven't helped to raise the bar down there, now have they? Is that what you're trying to say? Give me a break. It sounds as though you're the one living with old stereotypes, but thanks for proving the point I was trying to make.
They certainly put up a fight when it comes to saying their places is overrated.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:19 PM

324 posts, read 570,638 times
New Orleans is severely overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or