U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I like Chicago but those people would bore me (even though I find some of them friendly - especially at a bar) after a bit. San Diego is overrated, also boring after a week or so. Miami, great place to visit - you almost want to live there but once you start thinking about it...

Now everyone here in Texas loves Austin but it's really not as it is portrayed. It's really just a big small town and there are many more opportunities in Dallas and Houston. Austin should stay small and not be ruined slacker and semi-chic carpetbaggers. And all the traffic and sprawl they bring.
yeah chicago is nice but its way overrated because they think there better than new york and everyone nose New york city is the best not Dull boring Chicago

Old 08-04-2008, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times
Miami

Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
[quote=Lakewooder;4725727]I like Chicago but those people would bore me (even though I find some of them friendly - especially at a bar) after a bit. San Diego is overrated, also boring after a week or so. Miami, great place to visit - you almost want to live there but once you start thinking about it...

Now everyone here in Texas loves Austin but it's really not as it is portrayed. It's really just a big small town and there are many more opportunities in Dallas and Houston. Austin should stay small and not be ruined slacker and semi-chic carpetbaggers. And all the traffic and sprawl they bring.[/quote]

I agree, and really the only thing attracts people to it is the hills and 6th street. Outside of that, what else does it having going for it???

Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,219,593 times
Austin. I don't particularly care for Las Vegas, but I wouldn't say it's overrated. There's no other city like it, that's for sure! I don't get how NYC is overrated either...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
I really would like to understand how Chicago is underrated. They do booster their city alot true. But for a reason. It was one of the few great urban cities in US.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaliar View Post
yeah chicago is nice but its way overrated because they think there better than new york and everyone nose New york city is the best not Dull boring Chicago
Yay, another Chicago hater.

Welcome to the boards! Now go take an English class.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM

379 posts, read 928,611 times
I voted for Austin.

Everyone seems to talk so highly of it for its music, university and political scenes.

My rant- it's an isolated, small, sprawling town, landlocked and blazing hot. So what, you have a university and bars with stages/ live music. Thanks for being liberal but your only praised for that because you are compared to the rest of Texas.

For those who live in Austin- I'm sorry, your city seems nice, but for the sake of this topic, I had to post this! nothing personal

Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 AM

1,734 posts, read 4,940,058 times
The Atlanta area is definitely the most overrated. That's saying something because I chose it over San Francisco and Boston. The city thinks that it is on par with places like NYC, L.A., London, Chicago, Tokyo, etc, etc, etc, and that is simply not the case. Atlanta, you have some good things going for you, but face it, you aren't ready to play with the big dogs.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 AM

926 posts, read 2,757,544 times
I still don't understand how people can call San Diego overrated, as if this town was ever meant to be a cosmopolitan world class urban oasis. For what San Diego is, land of the perfect weather with spectacular beaches, scenery, and a big city with a small town laid back vibe, the only other major cities that I feel can pull this off are located in Australia, and even then San Diego still wind overall. So how is it overrated? By what standard of measurement are you basing such judgment?

In my opinion, Texas cities are waaay too overrated, then again, people don't really rate them to begin with. Texas cities kind of remind me of the NEW Florida -- people in them do their best to mimic what they aspire to be (Californian), but in the end, lack the resources and capabilities to pull such endeavor off, so in the end, they just look like an even bigger mess!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 AM

379 posts, read 928,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
people in them do their best to mimic what they aspire to be (Californian), but in the end, lack the resources and capabilities to pull such endeavor off, so in the end, they just look like an even bigger mess!!!
Haha, that's going to cause a bit of drama. I'll back you up on the SD front though.

I really like SD, but many think of it more as a theme park than a city. Which if you've been Downtown, that's very far from the truth. SD has one of best light rail systems in the country and it's Downtown is booming, right now more than any other Californian city. It has a very livable downtown for many people, unlike LAs, i.e.. Also, they have one of the best, new baseball stadiums.

Last edited by Ann_Arbor; 08-05-2008 at 02:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or