U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 9,734,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
A'lot of this is personal preference not reasons nyc is overrated. Somebody could like a slower pace and all that good stuff just like u and think nyc is not overrated.

New york was never rated to be a scenic nature escape in the first place so how can it be overrated in that regard. Thats like me saying new mexico is overrated simply because it lacks skyscrapers and 24/7 transit, just because i prefer those things.
When I hear people say New York City is the center of the universe and it doesn't even offer the stuff I want, then I am going to think New York City is overrated. Doesn't mean everyone thinks New York City is overrated, but for me New York City is overrated.

If New Yorkers accepted New York City for what it is, flaws and all, then maybe I wouldn't say New York City is overrated. But a lot of New Yorkers have the "my city is better than wherever you live" attitude. It may be better for them, but it's not better for me. So if they're going to say New York City is better, I am going to say New York City is overrated.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 PM

7,245 posts, read 5,537,384 times
Quote:
Nyc has millions of night clubs you dont seriously think miami,new orleans and lol atlanta could touch that,do you? How long were u in ny to make that assessment anyway.

Each highend clothing store has seperate things for each city.

Seems like your pulling straws here. But i'll respect your opinion. It just sounds like Bulls.. considering people in the tri-state come to ny time and time again just for shopping and nightlife. And the tristate outside ny most likely has better shopping than your region or atleast on par
Classic NY attitude....

Old 07-06-2010, 05:58 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,171,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
When I hear people say New York City is the center of the universe and it doesn't even offer the stuff I want, then I am going to think New York City is overrated. Doesn't mean everyone thinks New York City is overrated, but for me New York City is overrated.

If New Yorkers accepted New York City for what it is, flaws and all, then maybe I wouldn't say New York City is overrated. But a lot of New Yorkers have the "my city is better than wherever you live" attitude. It may be better for them, but it's not better for me. So if they're going to say New York City is better, I am going to say New York City is overrated.
Judging from your post u say nyc is overrated not because it doesnt offer the things you want but because u generally dont like the attitude of its citizens. Thats different from the city itself being overrated.

We just have to agree to disagree than. The city might not have what you want(nature) but than again new york never declared to have the things that u want in the first place. Theres alot of people that think nyc is great but they wouldnt want to live here that doesnt translate into the city being overrated

Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 PM

335 posts, read 543,857 times
newyork

Old 07-06-2010, 07:52 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,386,201 times
Quote:
A'lot of this is personal preference not reasons nyc is overrated..
Personal preferences ARE the reasons why people think places are overrated. Seriously, what do you not understand about that? It's a very simple concept that you seem to be the only one that can't grasp that. When someone says a place is overrated it is based on their personal preference regarding whatever place they are rating. There is no universal definition in what makes a city overrated, it's all personal preferences. ANY city or place on earth can be overrated to someone. So for some people NYC will be overrated, I know that is so hard for you to accept but just get over it at this point and learn to take some legitimate criticism of your city.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,171,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Personal preferences ARE the reasons why people think places are overrated. Seriously, what do you not understand about that? It's a very simple concept that you seem to be the only one that can't grasp that. When someone says a place is overrated it is based on their personal preference regarding whatever place they are rating. There is no universal definition in what makes a city overrated, it's all personal preferences. ANY city or place on earth can be overrated to someone. So for some people NYC will be overrated, I know that is so hard for you to accept but just get over it at this point and learn to take some legitimate criticism of your city.
Is the criticism legitimate though?

A city gives off a certain perception to someone, to the world, to people that have never been there. When that city doesnt live up to that perception than that city is overrated. But you cant sit here and tell me nyc is overrated because it lacks big nature parks.lol.

When was nyc ever considered anything but a huge, busy, dense skyscraper full metropolis. Had nyers said otherwise than i could see your disappointment. For example im not going to say london is overrated because i happen to be a mountain person and london lacks mountains thus its overrated. Im not going to say new mexico is overrated because my preference is extreme urbanity, which nm doesnt have. Why would i go there expecting that and than put the city down when it doesnt have that

People say nyc is overrated out of spite and its laughable and obvious.

NYC is overrated so says the person who cant stand provincial northeasterners and has a chip on his/her shoulder

NYC is overrated so says the transplanted new yorker whose salty he/she couldnt make it here being a fashionconsultantscientist

Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 PM

5,642 posts, read 13,598,916 times
I like to visit Orlando. But the reason I like to visit are the theme parks, which don't have to be located in a city. Take away the theme parks and Orlando's just suburban sprawl. Therefore, I cast my vote for Orlando as the most overrated "city". (Las Vegas would be a close second, for similar reasons.)

Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 PM

60 posts, read 32,641 times
NYC is the most overrated city in America

Why? Because anything available in NYC is also found in a handful of other cities.

Restaurants of many ethnicities? Found in 7 other cities in America.

Tremendous diversity? Found in about 10 other cities

Top notch cultural amenities? Found in about 8 other cities

Meanwhile, NY is put on a pedestal by media sources (found in their own city) as being "the greatest and best city"

It is not even close

..... and no, I am definitely not jealous... I live in the SF Bay area

Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,810,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie_Hoffman1 View Post

Why? Because anything available in NYC is also found in a handful of other cities.

Restaurants of many ethnicities? Found in 7 other cities in America.

Tremendous diversity? Found in about 10 other cities

Top notch cultural amenities? Found in about 8 other cities

Meanwhile, NY is put on a pedestal by media sources (found in their own city) as being "the greatest and best city"

It is not even close

well it is a lot better than SF

Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM

6,814 posts, read 9,374,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie_Hoffman1 View Post

Yes exactly. Because a handful of other cities has what New York City has automatically makes New York City "the most overrated city in America".

Btw in your world, are the "handful of cities" also overrated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or