U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,512,805 times
Reputation: 5657

Advertisements

OK time for a little NY boosting... and no I am not from there, nor have I ever lived there.

NYC is probably a bit underrated actually, particularly from what I've seen on this board as a gauge, most people simply can not fathom a city so large and with so much control over everything plus with so much going on, as it has absolutely no counterparts in the entire western hemisphere. It is a lot to take in, not a weekend trip kind of place. You don't have to like it, in fact, you can hate all day. It isn't overrated though.

 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,430 posts, read 25,340,177 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Is the criticism legitimate though?
Completely depends on what the person is saying. Sometimes yes and other times no.
Quote:
A city gives off a certain perception to someone, to the world, to people that have never been there. When that city doesnt live up to that perception than that city is overrated. But you cant sit here and tell me nyc is overrated because it lacks big nature parks.lol.

When was nyc ever considered anything but a huge, busy, dense skyscraper full metropolis. Had nyers said otherwise than i could see your disappointment. For example im not going to say london is overrated because i happen to be a mountain person and london lacks mountains thus its overrated. Im not going to say new mexico is overrated because my preference is extreme urbanity, which nm doesnt have. Why would i go there expecting that and than put the city down when it doesnt have that
NYC was pretty much everything I thought it would be, nothing more, nothing less. But I can easily see how some people expect too much of it. It's gets so much hype and attention that some people are gonna expect too much and therefor be disappointed somewhat. And for some people, it will never be a place they like a lot b/c it's not their type of place.

Quote:
People say nyc is overrated out of spite and its laughable and obvious.

NYC is overrated so says the person who cant stand provincial northeasterners and has a chip on his/her shoulder

NYC is overrated so says the transplanted new yorker whose salty he/she couldnt make it here being a fashionconsultantscientist
Yes some people do and it's usually pretty obvious so why get so bothered by it? For how arrogant you and others can be about NYC it kind of surprising how insecure you can be too. Who cares if someone spiteful people it for artificial, BS reasons? NYC has so much to offer overall it kind of amazes me at how insecure some of the NY posters are, especially on a site like this full of plenty of bitter people.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,707,363 times
Reputation: 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OK time for a little NY boosting... and no I am not from there, nor have I ever lived there.

NYC is probably a bit underrated actually, particularly from what I've seen on this board as a gauge, most people simply can not fathom a city so large and with so much control over everything plus with so much going on, as it has absolutely no counterparts in the entire western hemisphere. It is a lot to take in, not a weekend trip kind of place. You don't have to like it, in fact, you can hate all day. It isn't overrated though.
To be fair, couldn't you say the same thing for Miami, LA, New Orleans, Vegas, etc?
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,707,363 times
Reputation: 4203
How is LA overrated? It is EXACTLY what it advertises. Isn't it? Am I wrong? Palm Trees, Beaches, Theme Parks, Mountains, Hollywood, etc. Same goes for ATL, Miami, San Diego, SF, etc. None of these cities advertise what they're not.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:06 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,117,062 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
How is LA overrated? It is EXACTLY what it advertises. Isn't it? Am I wrong? Palm Trees, Beaches, Theme Parks, Mountains, Hollywood, etc. Same goes for ATL, Miami, San Diego, SF, etc. None of these cities advertise what they're not.
I honestly think that every city that draws large amounts of people whether they be tourists, immigrants, or transplants is overrated in a sense. At the same time they can be underrated. It just depends on what people are looking for I guess.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,430 posts, read 25,340,177 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OK time for a little NY boosting... and no I am not from there, nor have I ever lived there.

NYC is probably a bit underrated actually, particularly from what I've seen on this board as a gauge, most people simply can not fathom a city so large and with so much control over everything plus with so much going on, as it has absolutely no counterparts in the entire western hemisphere. It is a lot to take in, not a weekend trip kind of place. You don't have to like it, in fact, you can hate all day. It isn't overrated though.
It's rated about right imo. You really love just a few urban cities, so obviously NYC will be ur ultimate place. But honestly, do you think people really care about how powerful it is or how much influence it has? Or how much is going on there? I know I don't nor anyone I know. Yes it's a big, powerful city with tons of going on that very few cities can begin to match but most of that crap doesn't really matter to most people nor does it elevate it in their mind. Yeah NYC is all that but who cares? Despite how warped some people's realities are from this site, most people don't even want to live in NYC or that type of environment. Some people with huge hard ons for NYC just don't seem to get others don't quite share their enthusiasm.
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,726 posts, read 6,104,039 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yes exactly. Because a handful of other cities has what New York City has automatically makes New York City "the most overrated city in America".

Btw in your world, are the "handful of cities" also overrated?
New Yorkers are so humble

What makes NY overrated is that other cities can have what NYC but NYers will claim theirs is soooooo much better than everyone else's. Then, when you tell them otherwise, your're a hater....yea right
 
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,310,613 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Completely depends on what the person is saying. Sometimes yes and other times no.
NYC was pretty much everything I thought it would be, nothing more, nothing less. But I can easily see how some people expect too much of it. It's gets so much hype and attention that some people are gonna expect too much and therefor be disappointed somewhat. And for some people, it will never be a place they like a lot b/c it's not their type of place.

Yes some people do and it's usually pretty obvious so why get so bothered by it? For how arrogant you and others can be about NYC it kind of surprising how insecure you can be too. Who cares if someone spiteful people it for artificial, BS reasons? NYC has so much to offer overall it kind of amazes me at how insecure some of the NY posters are, especially on a site like this full of plenty of bitter people.
A persons expectations would have to be astronomical for the actual in city experience to not suffice. You must have thought the heavens would seperate as soon as you touched JFK.

I dont know what its like to go to nyc for the first time so i dont know, im just saying...

One thing we need to get established on this forum is that EVERYBODY SHOWCASES ARROGANCE here. Houstonians do it,atlantans definently do it and they do it a'lot.

Its not that im bothered by their criticism. I just want to hear a good reason thats all. Im curious but all i get is--because it doesnt have mountains
 
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,726 posts, read 6,104,039 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
A persons expectations would have to be astronomical for the actual in city experience to not suffice. You must have thought the heavens would seperate as soon as you touched JFK.

I dont know what its like to go to nyc for the first time so i dont know, im just saying...

One thing we need to get established on this forum is that EVERYBODY SHOWCASES ARROGANCE here. Houstonians do it,atlantans definently do it and they do it a'lot.

Its not that im bothered by their criticism. I just want to hear a good reason thats all. Im curious but all i get is--because it doesnt have mountains
lol....i didnt say anything about a mountain...i must be one of the few
 
Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,430 posts, read 25,340,177 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
A persons expectations would have to be astronomical for the actual in city experience to not suffice. You must have thought the heavens would seperate as soon as you touched JFK.

I dont know what its like to go to nyc for the first time so i dont know, im just saying...
Exactly, so accept that. NYC gets a lot of hype and for some it simply isn't that special. And some people simply don't like that type of environment as well. This is a very simple concept to grasp. And I'm speaking generally b/c as Ive already said, NYC was neither overrated or underrated to me. It was what I exactly thought it would be.

Quote:
One thing we need to get established on this forum is that EVERYBODY SHOWCASES ARROGANCE here. Houstonians do it,atlantans definently do it and they do it a'lot.
Not everybody and some posters from certain areas are worse than others. Just learn to accept it and not take it personally. I'm from the Bay Area and I have no problem admitting some of the people from there are smug and arrogant as hell, SD has some of those issues too. It is what it is.
Quote:
Its not that im bothered by their criticism. I just want to hear a good reason thats all. Im curious but all i get is--because it doesnt have mountains:smack
Learn to pick your battles b/c some people will never give a good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top