U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times

Advertisements

KONY:

I agree that New York City can offer great things but someone can find great culture, great food, and positive things like that in other places. How do you feel about my post higher up on the page?

I know some people that lived in New York City that didnt lead cultural cosmopolitan lives that you described. I know some people that lived in New York City and were bored and felt uninspired. And someone can still find horrible food, horrible culture, and actual negative things in New York City.

Im a native New Yorker that loves things about New York City, but I just enjoy New York more and my memories there when I have a realistic attitude about that city, and can appreciate and enjoy other places in the world and America too, such as living and enjoying Seattle where I am right now, and also see other people that can make the most of their time in New York City but still appreciate and enjoy other places and have true worldly moods that aspects of New York City tries to promote where someone cares about other places in the world outside New York City and that great positive things can be elsewhere.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,646,374 times
Orlando, but most people I know wouldn't dare live here so it's not really overrated, it just sucks. It's not even considered a city to me, just one big nasty suburb with miles and miles of houses with no jobs and some of the nastiest people in the country, mostly rejects who can't make it in a real city and the retired population is huge. It's terrible for young professionals and people who want to go further in life.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,608,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **noodles** View Post
orlando, but most people i know wouldn't dare live here so it's not really overrated, it just sucks. It's not even considered a city to me, just one big nasty suburb with miles and miles of houses with no jobs and some of the nastiest people in the country, mostly rejects who can't make it in a real city and the retired population is huge. It's terrible for young professionals and people who want to go further in life.
LMAO!!! Do you like Miami better?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,170,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
KONY:

I agree that New York City can offer great things but someone can find great culture, great food, and positive things like that in other places. How do you feel about my post higher up on the page?

I know some people that lived in New York City that didnt lead cultural cosmopolitan lives that you described. I know some people that lived in New York City and were bored and felt uninspired. And someone can still find horrible food, horrible culture, and actual negative things in New York City.

Im a native New Yorker that loves things about New York City, but I just enjoy New York more and my memories there when I have a realistic attitude about that city, and can appreciate and enjoy other places in the world and America too, such as living and enjoying Seattle where I am right now, and also see other people that can make the most of their time in New York City but still appreciate and enjoy other places and have true worldly moods that aspects of New York City tries to promote where someone cares about other places in the world outside New York City and that great positive things can be elsewhere.
Im not saying that other places aren't great and don't have culture and things of that nature. Just about every city worth anything has those things. New york just happens to have the most and plenty of the best, its americas prime city why wouldn't it. Theres nothing wrong with that

As far as new yorkers themselves, many don't engage in cultural activities but thats neither here nor there for me. Many do engage in it and the point is that they are available regardless. If your bored and uninspired in new york than thats more like a personal problem theres nothing boring or uninspired about the city. So its more of a reflection of that individual. "When one tires of london he tires of life" same could be said about ny

Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Seattle.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I have no idea why Boston isn't on the list.

I say:
BOSTON
LA
Austin
Boston is too awesome to be on the list

Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Boston isn't overrated at all.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Boston isn't overrated at all.
Yup, it's as awesome as it is

Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Orlando, but most people I know wouldn't dare live here so it's not really overrated, it just sucks. It's not even considered a city to me, just one big nasty suburb with miles and miles of houses with no jobs and some of the nastiest people in the country, mostly rejects who can't make it in a real city and the retired population is huge. It's terrible for young professionals and people who want to go further in life.
How is Orlando overrated if it never marketed it's self as a place for young professionals?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,892,332 times
I can't stand how many people from Florida diss their own state. I mean people that live in even worse conditions don't even complain that much. It really makes Florida look more horrible than it really is. I love Florida <<< you barely ever see that on this site, so I feel like I had to type it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or