Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 PM

499 posts, read 668,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Population is not and excuse London and Tokyo have very clean subway systems and there populous cities too.. The residents in NYC just don't take pride in keeping the streets and subway stations maintenance..
Right and more people equals more money/revenue and a government and services that should be proportionate to its size. With the crazy, totally insane real estate prices, number of billionaires/millionaires and fortune 500 - 100 companies, there's really no excuse.

I don't know the development standards in NY but around here if a developer builds a high rise they have to do the street paving in front of their property as well, nice lamp posts and nice brick pavers that match the rest of the development standards around the urban district. In D.C. the side walk edge is marble for longevity and look quite nice too.

At least the heavily used stations in NY could be upgraded (I think a few were) but people have this misconception that structures last a long time like 100 years or something. Simply put no. Even under normal maintenance, buildings should be no more than 40 years and certain infrastructure 50 years, unless historically significant. For the sake of health, safety and keeping from urban decay. But people always complain that it'll cost too much, well it's just a fact of life, things don't last forever and we need to suck up the cost or not make it so expensive.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:33 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
First of all, I've seen londoners complain plenty of times about the underground being dirty. Lets not act like everything is all peaches and cream over there, as americans often oddly do.

Im pretty sure the people who control the mta knows what their doing. If anything DCs subway system is trying to get on new yorks level as well as every other major city in the US. We don't need a lesson on maintenance

Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Now that is a smart and educated reply
Oh good. So glad to see you've resorted to trolling like most of your Philly brethren.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Atlanta, Georgia.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
First of all, I've seen londoners complain plenty of times about the underground being dirty. Lets not act like everything is all peaches and cream over there, as americans often oddly do.

Im pretty sure the people who control the mta knows what their doing. If anything DCs subway system is trying to get on new yorks level as well as every other major city in the US. We don't need a lesson on maintenance
So true, I don't know what's up with all this "Grass is greener" attitude with some Americans, regarding other places(ESPECIALLY Europe). They're almost worse than The Ugly American, in other countries, they're the reverse Ugly American.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
To 415:

Is funny how you view Seattle as one of the most overrated cities in America and I view Seattle as one of the most underrated cities in America, but yet, we have plenty of similarities with our lifestyle preferences and have such different opinions about the same place.

I'll send part 4 of the messages soon! Sorry I didnt respond yet.

I like the way you put it in what paragraph you typed below comparing your experience with Seattle compared to some other people's experience with it.

“Yeah, it's definitely not my place. And again, I'm glad you like it, I'm glad that it fits you well, I'm glad that it works so well for so many people and I wouldn't want them to be down on it. I just... can't share that feeling no matter how hard I try. My experience there was just bad no matter how you try to swing it, and just like how the Seattle I describe has no resemblance to the Seattle you know, the Seattle I know has no resemblance to the one you talk about.”

Last edited by ; 07-16-2010 at 02:11 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:

I agree

Some people here in the US have no idea of how much better it is over here, rather than over there

Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
I think every person has their own definition of "overrated". so every city in America is overrated with this logic because every city, town, state is going to have haters. Sometimes it may be jealousy, preference, experience, or trolling, but there isn't one place in the world or America that isn't overrated to someone. No place is the "best". Every major city, mid sized city, and town, has it's high points and low points. Yes, even NYC.

I honestly don't know how people could say places like the west coast, and parts of Florida are overrated. I mean they aren't falsely advertised in anyway. They pretty much look like they do on tv. When you see west coast and Florida you see beaches, palm trees, and sun. When you see NYC you see tall buildings,entertainment, and subway trains. It's not like that isn't true. Some people will just hate to hate. Plain and simple.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:49 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:

The Tube is certainly not squeaky clean, but compared to the NYC subway it is. I very much prefer NYC over London, but if comparing the cleanliness of rail transit then London wins by a long shot.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Anyone who says New York is overrated deserves to be shot. New York is an amazing city.

Chicago and Seattle are definitely not overrated either...they're both awesome cities that do not get as much attention as they deserve. I was in Chicago last week, definitely an amazing place. Only New York could top it. Seattle is such a perfect all around city, clean and safe.

Those 3 cities are the last 3 cities I would ever call overrated. The latter 2 are underrated, not overrated. New York on the other hand, is not underrated. it gets all the attention and guess what? It does live up to the hype. I hate how people think New York is dirty. West Village, Upper East Side and Upper West Side have got to be one the best neighborhoods in the WORLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City