Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
buildings should be no more than 40 years and certain infrastructure 50 years, unless historically significant.
I can only hope that the phrase "...before undergoing renovations" was inadvertently left off of your statement. It's mind boggling to ponder the wastefulness that would ensue if every building built before 1970 was torn down and replaced with something else, simply because it was deemed "old". Safety and security are important of course, but can easily be accomplished via a renovation of the structure.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
How about every single one of them? I kid. I honestly think L.A and NYC... I think they're the most competed cities in the US.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 AM

123 posts, read 300,618 times
Atlanta is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overrated. I made the mistake of visiting relatives there for a few days and thinking the world of ATLANTA. Well it wasn't all that I thought it would be. The crime there is thru the roof....OMG I feel safer walking down a dark alley alone at 3am in NYC then I did walking downtown Atlanta with a group of friends at 7pm. The traffic sucks. The people are super rude. Atlanta is a fun place to visit but to live there is another story. Trust me on this one! Nightlife there isn't all that great either.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Anyone who says New York is overrated deserves to be shot. New York is an amazing city.

I agree there are just certain things in life that are rated just right and NYC is one of them. New york never gave the impression that it was nature friendly or clean. NYC gives the impression that its a huge metropolis with over the top density and vibrance,vast skyscrapers and a place where anything can happen. NYC is exactly that nothing less

Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Anybody who says L.A. is overrated has not had the time to truly experience the city. Same goes for any other city. But L.A. is so bashed on this forum I would be surprised to see how anyone thinks it's anything but underrated.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Anybody who says L.A. is overrated has not had the time to truly experience the city. Same goes for any other city. But L.A. is so bashed on this forum I would be surprised to see how anyone thinks it's anything but underrated.
Trust me, Los Angeles might be one of the most bashed on this forum, but it's still not number one for being bashed on this forum.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
Trust me, Los Angeles might be one of the most bashed on this forum, but it's still not number one for being bashed on this forum.
Never said it was. But even outside of this forum, in the real world, L.A. and the rest of SoCal don't get credit for anything. Some people I know seem to think that the sunsets are so good because of smog. Really? The sunsets are good because you can see them over the ocean, the same can be said for any west facing beach in the world. People I talk to always seem to have 2 negative comments for every positive one about SoCal.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Never said it was. But even outside of this forum, in the real world, L.A. and the rest of SoCal don't get credit for anything. Some people I know seem to think that the sunsets are so good because of smog. Really? The sunsets are good because you can see them over the ocean, the same can be said for any west facing beach in the world. People I talk to always seem to have 2 negative comments for every positive one about SoCal.
Actually that is true. In real life, Los Angeles is the only city I know that gets heat from every city I have been too. Even from San Diego at times.

I mean you have your typical bashers in every city, but Los Angeles has this reputation that ticks people off everywhere.

Quite frankly, I don't understand it myself. I really like Los Angeles a lot.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
Actually that is true. In real life, Los Angeles is the only city I know that gets heat from every city I have been too. Even from San Diego at times.

I mean you have your typical bashers in every city, but Los Angeles has this reputation that ticks people off everywhere.

Quite frankly, I don't understand it myself. I really like Los Angeles a lot.
Same here. I guess it could be said for any city heavily exploited by the media. People seem to make assumptions based off of popular culture. All they really need to do is ask the locals for things that might interest them, and I'm sure those people would have a very different view.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Same here. I guess it could be said for any city heavily exploited by the media. People seem to make assumptions based off of popular culture. All they really need to do is ask the locals for things that might interest them, and I'm sure those people would have a very different view.
I never saw it happen with New York City though, and it's exposed by the media. Generally when I meet people in real life they have nice things to say about New York City. Even if they don't prefer it, they never put it down.

New York City truly is the top city in our country, and it does get the respect it deserves. But Los Angeles always falls short on that, people still like to live in the 50's where sunbelt cities are still the axis of evil in developments, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City