U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,333,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I didn't vote for it because I do think it's a great city.... but the arrogance has got to go.
i do agree to some extent. many here truly believe that this is the greatest city, if not following new york city. i personally hate the hills. and i hate it even more that i live on one. people don't get it. i hate coming out of work exhausted only to have to walk another mile up a steep hill from the bart station just to get home. i hate that. i really really really hate that. and i hate it even more when people looked confused as to why i really really really really really hate that. and then i hate it even more after that. and then they think i'm just going nuts. but if only they'd be understanding and simply say, "yeah that sucks." it probably make me feel a bit better. you know? solidarity? i personally feel they are being disingenuous and do not wanna admit certain things that are hyped about san francisco are not at all true... like the fact that san francisco is supposedly a "laid-back" city. NOT. TRUE. AT. ALL. I have never been so angry at human beings since living here.

i also think that many locals here get very defensive about it when its not necessary at all. like the time i was speaking to a friend and said that it be nice to open up a coffee shop that would combine the cool elements of both san francisco coffee shops and austin coffee shops. the element of san francisco being quality and the element of austin being the laid back nature and breakfast tacos. well, he didn't take kindly the idea of austin being more "laid back" and tried telling me a thing or two about breakfast tacos. but what's so wrong about saying that austin's coffee shops are more laid back? that's a fact! every single coffee shop you go to you MUST buy something, almost all of them are sooo packed, have crappy wifi reception, don't have enough outlets and again are so damned packed that it's impossible to just relax drink a cup of coffee, read, or just people watch. the ambience in austin is way way way more laid back that it's a joke! and plus if breakfast tacos have a capitol it be austin.

i really mean all of that from the bottom of my heart and i mean that in no disdain or belittlement of this city because i still like it here a lot... and i do believe its very beautiful. i just hate the hills, if i have to live on them and certain aspects that i wish weren't true about it, or certain myths about it i wish were true. and i could say that the same for just about every city so nobody should get worked up about it when someone calls out certain aspects that might need some working on.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,221,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
houston's in the south, dallas is in the south, new orleans is in the south... so many cities are in the south. why is atlanta hated for being in the south over any other city that's in the south? hip hop reputation... the same. new york has a hip hop reputation, houston, los angeles, etc. hot? howabout miami, new orleans, houston, phoenix... etc. etc. i still don't get why people hate atlanta over any other city when the things there are to hate about atlanta are also found in most other cities.
Falcons

Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,287,538 times
Denver

Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 AM

457 posts, read 533,871 times
NYC is the most overrated and overcrowded city.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM

367 posts, read 471,233 times
we're number 1! we're number 1! oh wait...

Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,130,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
Maybe because most people know that besides SoBe it is mostly terrible and dangerous ghetto?
That's just not true.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,066,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Ann Arbor, at best, is a medium size city/town. It is not in the same league as San Diego or NO.
no but aspects of it are overrated. People make seem ann arbor is some sort of mini san francisco tucked away in michigan when in reality it's a college town with a couple of bars and restaurants with a small town feel.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
Maybe because most people know that besides SoBe it is mostly terrible and dangerous ghetto?
even the poorer areas of miami are more desirable than some of the middle income areas of other cities due to the climate and friendliness of the people

Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
d) For some, too Hot in the summer (Hotlanta)

Need I say more?
hotlanta refers to the nightlife. atlanta has colder summers than just about every iconic southern city you can name me.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM

190 posts, read 233,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
That's just not true.
Whats not true??

"With a crime rate of 66 per one thousand residents, Miami has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15. Within Florida, more than 92% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Miami.In fact, after researching dangerous places to live, NeighborhoodScout found Miami to be one of the top 100 most dangerous cities in the U.S.A"

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2012 at 06:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or