U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2008, 05:03 PM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,170,950 times
Reputation: 1143

Advertisements

Not one person made a good case for why nyc is ovverated. Cuz it isnt , its better has more entertainment just about more everything than anywhere in the world. If nyc doesnt meet your standards of "hotness" than no city in the world will. Like the other guy said nyc, chi-town are as good as you think they are. Anybody saying chicago is krazy if anything chicago is heavily underated

 
Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
 
Location: San Diego
926 posts, read 2,757,925 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Not one person made a good case for why nyc is ovverated. Cuz it isnt , its better has more entertainment just about more everything than anywhere in the world. If nyc doesnt meet your standards of "hotness" than no city in the world will. Like the other guy said nyc, chi-town are as good as you think they are. Anybody saying chicago is krazy if anything chicago is heavily underated
I totally agree, however, manhattan was the only borough that really did anything for me. The other boroughs had a rusty and/or destitute vibe to them. Nonetheless, they still had old time America appeal. NYC can be overrated only over the fact that its too large for its own good. In other words, NYC is like Costco, its fun getting a lot for your money but after a while, its really hard keeping up with everything.

With that being said, manhattan is DEFINITELY not overrated!!!
 
Old 08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 5,170,950 times
Reputation: 1143
The other boroughs have so much to discover aswell. Thats what truly makes nyc great, the fact that manhattan is enough by itself; You still have other boroughs that have alot to contribute on top of that. The bRONx(my hometown) has the yankees(greatest team ever) Bronx zoo(biggest metro zoo in the world) the bronx and brooklyn botanical gardens. All the brooklyn museums and attractions. Queens crotana park and the mets. No other city has that. Manhattan is not the city. The city is comprised of four other boroughs, each have their own heir to greatness. Thats what makes nyc so incredible
 
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,410,431 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, last time I checked, it it takes 1 hour to get to the nearest ocean, then YOU'RE inland!! Time will determine the true fate of houstons diversification. Will it be able to sustain its population? Considering houstons population growth had a lot to do with its oil industry... We'll see!!!

Well, better check your geography again. Houston opens up to a bay! (Suprise!) It's diversifying just fine. We don't have to see anything we've already seen it. Aeronuatics and medicine have already made their mark. Looks like you don't really know as much as you thought. It's what I figured.
 
Old 08-05-2008, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Where you wish you lived, LA
304 posts, read 813,008 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
The other boroughs have so much to discover aswell. Thats what truly makes nyc great, the fact that manhattan is enough by itself; You still have other boroughs that have alot to contribute on top of that. The bRONx(my hometown) has the yankees(greatest team ever) Bronx zoo(biggest metro zoo in the world) the bronx and brooklyn botanical gardens. All the brooklyn museums and attractions. Queens crotana park and the mets. No other city has that. Manhattan is not the city. The city is comprised of four other boroughs, each have their own heir to greatness. Thats what makes nyc so incredible
manahattan is fun, and is what most people think of nyc.

the rest of the boroughs are boring imo, from what ive seen. i have been to brooklyn and queens
 
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM
 
Location: The NY, NJ, CT Tri-State Region
94 posts, read 117,553 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Not one person made a good case for why nyc is ovverated. Cuz it isnt , its better has more entertainment just about more everything than anywhere in the world. If nyc doesnt meet your standards of "hotness" than no city in the world will. Like the other guy said nyc, chi-town are as good as you think they are. Anybody saying chicago is krazy if anything chicago is heavily underated
couldnt have said it better myself. reputation to you, my friend.
 
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 PM
 
149 posts, read 145,541 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I totally agree, however, manhattan was the only borough that really did anything for me. The other boroughs had a rusty and/or destitute vibe to them. Nonetheless, they still had old time America appeal. NYC can be overrated only over the fact that its too large for its own good. In other words, NYC is like Costco, its fun getting a lot for your money but after a while, its really hard keeping up with everything.

With that being said, manhattan is DEFINITELY not overrated!!!
From what I saw, most of Southeast, North and East San Diego seem boring, ugly and destitute, but does that make San Diego an overrated city?

West Los Angeles is considered the only "good" area of Los Angeles, does that make Los Angeles overrated?

South Orange County is the only "good" area in Orange County, does that make Orange County overrated?

Manhattan is part of NYC and there are good parts and bad and boring parts in every city, so I don't understand your argument. What city is completely "good" from top to bottom? None. There is a reason why NYC is the most visited city in the country.

NYC is far from overrated.
 
Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
 
149 posts, read 145,541 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
manahattan is fun, and is what most people think of nyc.

the rest of the boroughs are boring imo, from what ive seen. i have been to brooklyn and queens
What do you think of LA outside of the westside?
 
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
 
14 posts, read 49,186 times
Reputation: 29
Wheeling, WV.

It was voted Best City to Live In, one year by Money magazine. I was sure they only looked at stats and not the city itself.
 
Old 08-05-2008, 09:08 PM
 
Location: San Diego
926 posts, read 2,757,925 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
From what I saw, most of Southeast, North and East San Diego seem boring, ugly and destitute, but does that make San Diego an overrated city?

West Los Angeles is considered the only "good" area of Los Angeles, does that make Los Angeles overrated?

South Orange County is the only "good" area in Orange County, does that make Orange County overrated?

Manhattan is part of NYC and there are good parts and bad and boring parts in every city, so I don't understand your argument. What city is completely "good" from top to bottom? None. There is a reason why NYC is the most visited city in the country.

NYC is far from overrated.
What are you talking about? It wasnt my argument to begin with, if anything, I am defending NYC while at the same time, trying to help explain why people may feel that its overrated which I have clearly denounced. All I said was that manhattan is the only borough that I truly had a wonderful experience in. Zoos and staiums aside, the vibe of the outdoors was a wonderful experience only within manhattan and I'm sure most tourists agree. I did enjoy my time staying in bay ridge in Brooklyn, but all I'm saying is, manhattan is where it happens!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top