U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 PM

7,245 posts, read 5,539,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Why is it that I see Cali posters doing it more around this forum? I have nothing against Cali or any of its cities but the posters around here from there all have the same mindset. Everyone has a right to an opinion and no ones is right or wrong. But some posters (not just Cali ones) seem to think only their opinion is right and is more valuable than someone else's.
Sounds a lot like the northeast.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,531,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'm suprised they let dumb threads like this go on for so long... So basically people will just name their least favorite city as the "most overrated" and then a herd of homers from that city will show up to defend it and then attack a different city as being the "most overrated." Well, that's basically the extent of the majority of these juvenile "City vs. City" threads in a nutshell. This whole forum's been ruined though for any people actually and legitimately seeking relocation advice in favor of a bunch of childish pissing contests regurgitating the same arguments about the same cities ad naseum...
When the thread is a poll with a long list, it is anything but a relocation advice thread. And if they get "juvenile" as you say, then so be it. What do you call the wordsmithing in the Presidential party conventions?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:49 PM

886 posts, read 1,291,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Sounds a lot like the northeast.
Not really.

NYC and Chicago are the two most lashed at and hated cities on this forum. D.C. closely a third. I get it, people hate living in cities.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,324,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Not really.

NYC and Chicago are the two most lashed at and hated cities on this forum. D.C. closely a third.
D.C. does catch some heat, but NYC and Chicago? Yeah, right. You can't even vote against NYC in a poll without mentioning that it's still the "absolute best, most amazing, incredible city in the universe". You almost have to apologize for voting against it.

NYC gets bashed more than Los Angeles...its ridiculous even typing that.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,391,322 times
Quote:
Not really.

NYC and Chicago are the two most lashed at and hated cities on this forum. D.C. closely a third.
I'm not sure if I've ever seen NYC lose a poll, it is by far the most loved and talked about city on this forum. Plenty of other cities like LA, Houston, Dallas, etc..get far more hate than NYC or Chicago because of how their built environment differs from the more traditional urban cities.

You gotta be delusional to sit there and pretend some people from the northeast don't have some superiority complex towards other cities/places like some CA posters do.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,964,979 times
Quote:
Not really.

NYC and Chicago are the two most lashed at and hated cities on this forum. D.C. closely a third. I get it, people hate living in cities.
LA and other sunbelt cities are the most vocally hated. NYC and Chicago are more internally hated. People hate NYC and Chicago, but won't say it out loud(on C-D and in real life) like they would about LA. For as long as forever, it's always been en vogue and just popular to look at Los Angeles through a cynical view. From comedians, to actors, to everyday people, the image of LA and Hollywood is hated by many folks, deservedly and undeservedly. It's always been popular to make fun of LA and it's citizens, but making fun of NYC has been a no-no, ESPECIALLY after 9/11. NYC has gotten universal sympathy and love, while folks can't wait for LA and California to have "The Big One" and fall into the ocean. Just go to YouTube and type in Bill Hicks Arizona Bay, or go read some Woody Allen quotes and watch Anne Hall. As a matter of fact, here's an interesting list I've found:

Ten Movies About New Yorkers Stranded In Los Angeles | Nerve.com

And another thing I noticed, If LA isn't criticized for being too fake, it's criticized for being too real. One day it's "Everyone in LA is plastic, and sterile, and fake-happy" the next day is "Everyone in LA is insane, and it has high-crime, and it has smog, and they have racial tensions, and riots, and gangs, OH MY!!!"

Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm not sure if I've ever seen NYC lose a poll, it is by far the most loved and talked about city on this forum. Plenty of other cities like LA, Houston, Dallas, etc..get far more hate than NYC or Chicago because of how their built environment differs from the more traditional urban cities.

You gotta be delusional to sit there and pretend some people from the northeast don't have some superiority complex towards other cities/places like some CA posters do.
I don't agree at all. As a resident I try to be reasonable but I can't take how people view NYC on here.

I live here and love it but I do consider intellectual dishonesty a lashing. I can tell a lot of people here hate NYC but they don't ever say anything because of some self implicated "fear" of being met with a herd of New Yorkers that will bash them.

Look I just want everyone to treat this like any other city. I'm getting tired of the people that use NYC as a crutch to hold their arguments whether it's transit, weather, urbanity, etc. There shouldn't be any "NYC and then everyone else" posts on here but you'll read it 1,000 times a day and by people that don't live here to lash other cities. That's quite a hypocritical standard, to me they're really lashing my city, it makes us that actually live here look bad. You can just tell with the way some people talk that they dislike this city but will unfairly use it to lash other cities, thus making us look bad (those of us that live here). Dude the guy has had over 200 accounts in the LAST 2 years.

Chandler, do you remember that troll wallstreetmafia or balmain? He's had over 200 accounts on this forum ranging from DC90, SV808, noah5, BOOI, alexanderr, alexander8, lucas9, jasonsf3, 10013, drizzyy, NotoriousLA, Yankee., sputnikkk, HAC NY, HONM, CaliYork, and MANY more. He lives in some Houston suburb called Stafford, pretends to be extremely rich living in NYC or one of the CT suburbs (Darien, Greenwich) lashing out against every US city except NYC. Just look him up, read his posts. I know Chandler remembers him. Sometimes with some accounts he pretends to live in CA, DC, Miami, or Seattle and he does to to make NYC look credible more than it is. He's one of the few reasons NYC never loses a poll, he's got so many accounts.

People like him pretend to live here and say ignorant things about everywhere else. Guess who has to deal with others lashing at NYC? Those of us that live here. You think we like seeing garbage and rat pictures of our city everyday.

I agree NYC is the most loved city but it's also one of the most hated because of the ignorant standards it's pit on. Yes polo89 I know sunbelt cities have it bad. I agree it's pathetic.

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 09-11-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
LA and other sunbelt cities are the most vocally hated. NYC and Chicago are more internally hated. People hate NYC and Chicago, but won't say it out loud(on C-D and in real life) like they would about LA. For as long as forever, it's always been en vogue and just popular to look at Los Angeles through a cynical view. From comedians, to actors, to everyday people, the image of LA and Hollywood is hated by many folks, deservedly and undeservedly. It's always been popular to make fun of LA and it's citizens, but making fun of NYC has been a no-no, ESPECIALLY after 9/11. NYC has gotten universal sympathy and love, while folks can't wait for LA and California to have "The Big One" and fall into the ocean. Just go to YouTube and type in Bill Hicks Arizona Bay, or go read some Woody Allen quotes and watch Anne Hall. As a matter of fact, here's an interesting list I've found:

Ten Movies About New Yorkers Stranded In Los Angeles | Nerve.com

And another thing I noticed, If LA isn't criticized for being too fake, it's criticized for being too real. One day it's "Everyone in LA is plastic, and sterile, and fake-happy" the next day is "Everyone in LA is insane, and it has high-crime, and it has smog, and they have racial tensions, and riots, and gangs, OH MY!!!"
I'm glad you noticed this "internal" hatred because I have too. People are scared to say something bad about NYC and that's just wrong. I'm not saying bash it but come on its not utopia far from it, we have city problems like other cities but no one wants to talk about it.

NYC it's awful that people put it on the gold standard for everything. Even things like weather. We all have our own thermostats but I for one can say LA has a much more benign climate and the coast is beautiful.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,531,502 times
Ok, I'll change my answer. Most overrated city: whichever one has the highest number of Subarus registered within its metro area.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,391,322 times
Quote:
I don't agree at all. As a resident I try to be reasonable but I can't take how people view NYC on here.

I live here and love it but I do consider intellectual dishonesty a lashing. I can tell a lot of people here hate NYC but they don't ever say anything because of some self implicated "fear" of being met with a herd of New Yorkers that will bash them.

Look I just want everyone to treat this like any other city. I'm getting tired of the people that use NYC as a crutch to hold their arguments whether it's transit, weather, urbanity, etc. There shouldn't be any "NYC and then everyone else" posts on here but you'll read it 1,000 times a day and by people that don't live here to lash other cities. That's quite a hypocritical standard, to me they're really lashing my city, it makes us that actually live here look bad. You can just tell with the way some people talk that they dislike this city but will unfairly use it to lash other cities, thus making us look bad (those of us that live here). Dude the guy has had over 200 accounts in the LAST 2 years.

Chandler, do you remember that troll wallstreetmafia or balmain? He's had over 200 accounts on this forum ranging from DC90, SV808, noah5, BOOI, alexanderr, alexander8, lucas9, jasonsf3, 10013, drizzyy, NotoriousLA, Yankee., sputnikkk, HAC NY, HONM, and MANY more. He lives in some Houston suburb called Stafford, pretends to be extremely rich living in NYC or one of the CT suburbs (Darien, Greenwich) lashing out against every US city except NYC. Just look him up, read his posts. I know Chandler remembers him. Sometimes with some accounts he pretends to live in CA, DC, Miami, or Seattle and he does to to make NYC look credible more than it is. He's one of the few reasons NYC never loses a poll, he's got so many accounts.

People like him pretend to live here and say ignorant things about everywhere else. Guess who has to deal with others lashing at NYC? Those of us that live here. You think we like seeing garbage and rat pictures of our city everyday.

I agree NYC is the most loved city but it's also one of the most hated because of the ignorant standards it's pit on. Yes polo89 I know sunbelt cities have it bad. I agree it's pathetic.
I'm sure residents of many other cities don't like what others say about their city as well. NYC is praised far more than its bashed imo. It has everything that is so highly coveted on this site such as transit, density, walkability, diversity, etc.. NYC is in a league of its own when it comes to many of these things too, so its hard to treat it like other cities.

Also posters making a city look bad and causing a backlash isn't unique to NY either. Can definitely say the same thing about SF, DC, and recently Philly somewhat (though that has died down).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or